Default Perspective Tips

Hiyas. This post offers some workarounds for dealing with the two major complaints of using perspective in ZBrush (too much perspective even at the lowest setting and the inability to save the vanishing point with the document).

1. Decreasing perspective beyond the lowest 'distort' setting:

Perspective can be decreased beyond the lowest 'distort' setting by using 'Universal Perspective' (shift-clicking the 'Persp' button) and then moving the object back toward the rear clipping plane.

To move the object backward in space, activate the Move Gyro and then drag the mouse/pen upwards outside the gyro. The object will shrink as it recedes in space, decreasing perspective.

After moving the object backward in space, activate the Scale Gyro and scale the object up to the desired size. The change in perspective will still be apparent after scaling.

Here are some examples:

persp1.jpg

persp2.jpg

2. Saving the vanishing point with the document:

Though the vanishing point cannot be saved with a document, the vanishing point's position can be precisely placed after reopening a document by recording the mouse's position at the time the vanishing point was first placed. (edit: Or a reference point can be added to the image--see marcus_civis post below).

To record the vanishing point's position using mouse coordinates, place the 'Preferences' menu to one side of the document and open the 'Utilities' section. The third and fourth slider in the 'Utilities' section indicate the mouse's horizontal and vertical positions on the screen. Watch these numbers carefully when placing the vanishing point on the canvas and record the numbers for the final position of the vanishing point.

To set the vanishing point to precisely the same location after reopening the document, care must be taken to arrange the ZBrush workspace to exactly the same way it was arranged when the vanishing point was first placed. The document view and menus (top, left, right, and bottom 'shelves') must all be arranged properly in order to rely on the mouse's positions. After setting up the workspace, drag the vanishing point in the document until the mouse's positions in the 'Utilities' section match the recorded values from the prior session.

mouse_pos.jpg

Hope these workarounds were useful.

Even subtle perspective can greatly enhance an image.

Here are some goofy examples I did for a Shadowrun game I GM'd:

Vanishing point slightly higher than character's eye level to make the character feel small:

a_elf.jpg

Vanishing point slightly lower than character's eye level to make the character feel more imposing:

ork_lady.jpg

Vanishing point well below character's eye level to enhance scale:

troll.jpg
    Last edited by Marsyas; 07-21-05 at 01:52 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Lightbulb (one-point perspective: revolutionary invention of art)

Geoff,

Nice tip, well explained. your illustrations are excellent.

Sven

Moderator Follow User Gallery

Great tips, thanks!

A couple of points to add:

All you need to do to save the vanishing point with the document is to have a separate Layer with the position indicated by a small dot - the SimpleBrush using the Flat Color material will suffice. (Note: the vanishing point is independent of Z depth. ) When you reopen the document, simply drag the mouse to that position. You can then delete the layer.

Also, if you don't set a global perspective vanishing point the default is always the centre of the canvas.

Thanks guys.

marcus_civis: I thought about adding a visual ref in the image--I just wasn't sure how accurate it would be. It makes perfect sense tho and I should have mentioned it. I'll make an edit up top.

New Member Follow User Gallery

WoW thats really amazing stuff hopfully i can get tha good soon enough.....do you know anyplace where i can get some tutorials?...anyway really great stuff im totally blown away
    "Give Me Time & I Will Amaze You"
    -S2bA

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Smile Tricky perspective

Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Thanks Soon2bAnimator.

There are plenty of great tutorials here at this forum. There's also a ZBrush Links thread over at CGTalk: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=168282

Glen Southern has great info on sculpting in general but it seems his site is down (http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/information.htm).

A really cool thread on traditional sculpting: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=60

thanx Marsyas vbmenu_register("postmenu_219874", true); !!
    "Give Me Time & I Will Amaze You"
    -S2bA

Default Thanks!

This info should be added to the practical guide.

G.