ZBrushCentral

Lord of Darkness

Heres my current WIP of The Lord of Darkness that Iv been playin with.
Its still very much in production but crit is more than welcome :smiley:

[attach=21005]lord of darkness wip3.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

lord of darkness wip3.jpg

HA!

I am working on a LOD-like character myself, but a bit more personable. It’s a small modelling world after all.

I always wondered how he had the strength to actually move his head around.

No so much a crit as a “hey!” :smiley:

Im doin this for a piece of animation so will have fun gettin alot of expression from him :smiley:

lord of darkness wip5.jpg

Hi 
 it’s looking good! Something odd happening with his left horn, though, unless it’s an optical illusion. Keep going! :+1:

no the horns are symetrical, think its just the way that its rendered and the angle that it rendered at.
Need to work on the horns abit but dont have the polys to do fine detail on them. Need zb2.5:D pls!
Think il end up puttin alot of the detail in to a texture map to save time.

looks good
 but the lips/chin looks kinda funny :lol:

yeah i no what u mean about the lips. Im havin problems tryin to get them to look rite as usually i’d model the mouth shut which is easy but as this is for animation im bein forced to model them open to make it easier later on. Will do some work on them in abit to see wot i come up with
cheers for the replies

Well, you could model them together and then split them up inside of your other 3D app that you are using and then export > import your tool.

Make sure not to jack yourself in the process and export your lowest division mesh to split up. Obvious tip, yes, but I’ve done it before by accident.

Heres another pic for you to look at.
iv played with the mouth abit, looks abit more realistic. Also added some detail to the horn area as well.
lord of darkness wip6.jpg

iv got major issues with this now. i exported the lowest sub div in to max to unwrap it. Didnt change any of the geometry just unwraped it, but it wont let me re-import it, just says that it needs the same amount of points and faces???
I dont undersatnd why this has happend?? any one got any ideas how to rectify this?

Hmm
 are you trying to load up your exported mesh inside of your original zbrush tool when it gives you that error?

I can’t say that I know anything about how max works, but I’d wager that this error is due to max is physically breaking up your original Zbrush mesh when you import it into max, and then when you try to import it back into your original tool in Zbrush it freaks out because there is more than one object
 at least that is my hypothesis.

If you don’t have any tool selected when you fire up Zbrush, just import your mesh that you played with in max and it should load.

If that works, then it’s got to be something with max doing some tweaking on your OBJ when you import it. You should be able to play with some import properties that should fix that. I know that in Maya you have to set the flag to create multiple objects on import to ‘off’. Maybe there is a similar flag in max?

Rite iv got it to update the model. i found that when i unwraped it i used symetry save doin things twice, which added a couple of stray and random verts. These where removed and the model updates :smiley:

Now when it updates it competly rips the mesh to pieces :cry:

heres my export settings
export settings.jpg

Anyone got any ideas?

Here are what my Maya setings are for my .OBJ exporting, just for comparison to those of max.

Hopefully this will be of some use to you.

Edit: tiny little thumbnail image, isn’t it? Basically, it is only set up to export the vanilla .OBJ, no bells or whistles, just an .OBJ with the default file extension, no groups of any kind are to be associated with it.

objsettings.jpg

Iv turned off all the extras so it just exports to a .obj but still no luck
temped to install maya but far to much effort :rolleyes: cheers anyways:D

Is there any one who uses max that knows how to solve this problem?

Use the tool > import sub-palette option, rather than the import obj option at the very top of the tool palette. Or is it the other way round? Whichever way you’re trying to import, try the other route. Or create a fresh ZB session. What you’re trying to do is load the mesh into the currently selected tool. Instead, you need to be loading a new tool.

Iv tried all the different import routes and setting and cant get it to import it properly. It will up date the mesh yet when i try to move up the sub div levels it rips the mesh up.
i have a felling that its doin this cuz its thinks the Uv are still the same so sub dividing the mesh to the original Uv’s therefore ripping up the mesh as the Uv’s have changed.
If that makes any sense??

sounds like max is changing the point order
there are some threads around here on how to export from max so this kinda thing doesn’t happen
sorry I don’t have them handy to leave them here at the moment tho
but a search should turn em up.

Yes 
 I remember reading the same thing, aminuts. Our new friend wants to head over to the Troubleshooting forum and get digging.

If the mesh is simply breaking apart where there were boundaries between polygroups, it’ll be necessary to weld all the parts before exporting from Maya. Or use the ‘crease edges’ technique in ZB (look for posts relating to Poser, in particular, for details). Good luck.

Iv decided to cave and install Maya to make my life that little bit earier as iv been pulling my hair out over the issue with max.
Does anybody have a link of were to get the .OBJ exporter for Maya from??

am sure highend3d has it.