ZBrushCentral

Female Face WIP

Here is my new WIP, a female face. I tried using inflate in some places like the ears instead of the standard brush and it seems to work better for certain things.

Here is an update, did some small detail work and fixed the overall shape of the head.

Modeling.jpg

Lookin good so far - a bit more fine detail before texture, and it’s on it’s way to being special. Texturing is my weak spot - I can’t wait to see this completed.

I had a hard time making my w.i.p. look like a female head myself -

see this thread
Nice start :+1:
I would suggest chopping a little bit of the neck though, it’s one detail that makes it look a little bit like a male head.

[attach=26768]tt.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

tt.jpg

jit_gohil, thanks a lot man, those words help keep me going:D

dzip, Ahhh that what it was, yeah it looks better now I think.:+1: :+1: :+1: I like your head project too, one thing you should work on in yours is the nose i think, if you don’t mind me critiquing it, the skin around the nostrils might be a bit too thin. Your style is cool:+1:

ModelinGupdate.jpg

Attachments

close-up.jpg

Nice start! Really good-looking skull and cheeks!

The neck is better on the front, but still too thick on the back. The jaw goes too far down below the ear. Between the lower lip and chin in the profile view, there should be a much deeper indentation. Lastly, and most importantly, the mouth is far too wide. It should extend roughly as far out as the inner edges of the irises. I think the nose may also be a little too wide, but not that much.

If you fix these small things, she should be a real beauty.

Cheers, O.

Thanks for your comments agronaut - I shall make modifs soon.
And I can’t wait to see you detail this model!
:+1:

Nice start. You really captured the softness of female lips. The thing that I noticed off the bat was the mouth, though Julia Roberts’ mouth is really wide. Other then that, it being a female, I would narrow the skull at the temple, it looks a bit to wide. Keep going.

Yeah, its not bad. I have several observations though that I hope you find helpful. First, I’m not so sure about the width at the temples, Your front view seems to show a head with a slightly short cranium. I would raise the forehead. If you are working from a model or reference, this criticism may not apply, as proportions differ widely. Experience has shown this. But if you are not working from a model I suggest adhering to a canon of ideal proportions.

Most of my drawing books begin laying out the structure of the head with an oval or egg shape, with the pointed end at the chin. This is usually divided roughly in half vertically, and that line is used as the guide for the level of the eyes. The eyebrows are above it, the bottom of the nose is then placed on the line halfway between this line and the chin, and the mouth cuts the lowest portion in half. By this canon of proportions you seem to have a bit more area below the eyes than above them.

Beyond that a sense of facial structure in which you sometimes acknowledge bones, sometimes muscles and wrinkes can really help you to keep the proportions accurate as you flesh out a figure. For example I usually connect the corners of the mouth with the back of the hood of the nostrils with a wrinkle, the naso-labial crease. I define the temples, cranium and eyebrows by the temporal ridge of the skull which divides the frontal plane from the temples (and incidentally is used as an anchor point for jaw muscles.) I also use the back curve of the mandible and the level of the eyes to place the ear.

Any good basic drawing book on the human form will have advice about proportions and good suggestions for structure. You might check out the freebee pages at www.3d.sk

olafdf: thanks alot man:D Hopefully I fixed those things in this update, i have been looking at it so long i guess i got used to the mouth being so big.:roll_eyes:

dzip: no problem, thanks, and good luck:+1:

Shannon Thomas: thanks for the critique, I hope the mouth looks better now, by the way your Oliphant is coming along great!

Wildsketch:wow thanks for the in depth comments:+1: I think it looks better now thanks to you:D Thanks for the link too, it is a great reference.

ModelinGupdate2.jpg

This looks much better. Coming along great! By the way, I’m in awe of you people who can do any kind of modeling directly from ZBrush. I tried and failed, so I decided to learn modeling the traditional way (polys and stuff ;)) and come back to ZBrush for detailing.

One thing you might still want to check with your references is the width of the jaw, as viewed from the front. Many portraits of women are shot from slightly above (note the relative positions of ears and nose), so the outline looks narrower and more acute toward the chin. From the front, it should look wider. Of course, as Wildsketch said, it depends on your reference.

Here’s a nice one of Julia Roberts (she just keeps coming up, lol) that I found on the web, shot almost straight from the front, but not quite (unless her ears are higher up than normal, which I guess is entirely possible): http://www.cinemovie.info/JuliaRoberts/JuliaRoberts2.jpg

You have definately made some good improvements. I agree with the last critique. The jaw is wider at the corners, even in women. I’de take a look at a picture of a real skull and you can really see the suareness of the jaw. I think that will greatly improve the look immediately.

Thanks for the comment.

made the jaw wider… i might have too make it a little more wide.

zspheres-face.jpg

shannon thomas, i checked out your site, its is cool

olafdf, When I model with zspheres i set up my spheres like in the picture, then i adaptive skin it with Ires set to 4. I go to the lowest subdivision level and use single vertex moving to refine the shape. It is also important to make sure that each loop will be part of the eye/ear/mouth or whatever. It is however much better to make the mesh in another program from what i can tell(only program ive used is zbrush) because you have more control over the edge flow i believe, so you are probably headed in the right direction.

Aah been learking this head for a few days now just to watch the progress :wink:
it looks great…hope you are planning to give this head a realistic texture …cause that would be perfect for this head cause in my eyes it looks like the modeling is almost done. :+1:
you planning to use a hair pluggin like sasquach for it or are you going to draw hair in Zbrush for this face btw?..cause either way would be good.
Keep up the good work. :wink: :+1:

I’m glad you found my suggestions helpful. I think that all of the changes you have made have only improved the model. The thing to me about the alterations I’ve seen in it is that you seem to be reluctant to push it far beyond what you originally showed. I would suggest that you do this. Save a version or two if you need to so that you feel like you have something to go back to if you alter the model too far, and then go about making drastic changes.

For one thing you might experiment with ways of creating a deep shapr crease for seperation between the bell of the nostril and the cheek. You might concentrate on creating a really deep and narrow crease from the back of the nostril to the corner of the mouth. Having seen your lowest subdivision level I can tell that you have more than enough polygons to support completely seperating the ear from the side of the head. Try it.

Yeah, getting better all the time. I agree with Wildsketch. You’ve got the basic shape down pretty well by now, time to get wild. :wink:

Oh, and thanks for the zsphere tips. I’m sure I will try it again some time. It is certainly great practice for ZBrush sculpting.

thanks for the comments, i felt kindof confused because most young women dont have a deep wrinkle in that location.