Default Ogre Head

Hiyas. This is an ogre head I've been working on for a friend's D&D character, named Zolar. I still have a bunch of weird stuff to do on him (eyepatch, funny wig, etc.) but this is pretty much my idea of a generic ogre at this point.

I usually shy away from doing too much realistic detail but I think I'm finally starting to make some inroads with this model. Still, I think I could take it a lot further.

The rendering was done in ZBrush, with just resizing and a slight unsharp mask in Photoshop.

Zolar_test2_AA.jpg

Zolar_Example1b.jpg

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Neat idea, using Zbrush to realize your D&D characters! This looks quite nice. Interesting to see an ogre with human skin instead of the more common green/brown and rough skin.
    -----------
    If you always assume Windows Update is going to restart your computer while you're afk, you'll never be disappointed.

Thanks, Tidalias. Actually he should probably be even whiter than I made him. We play first edition D&D and all our characters come from one of the old Gazetteers (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/gz/gaz10.htm). Zolar is of a species of ogre called Homo Monstrum Bellicosus, which have chalky white skin.

Another silly Zolar test. He's supposed to have a funny wig, furry eyepatch, and blue splotches on his snout. I figured he could have used an animal hide to shape a funny wig.

He's only gonna keep gettin' uglier.

Zolar_test3.jpg

I did the furry stuff just by pumping the mesh up real high, masking everything, then using an alpha to 'stipple' the mask. Then I just dragged the mesh around with the move tool.

Zolar_Example2.jpg

Hehe.. cool stipple masking to make the hair. The furry eyepatch definitely looks interesting, to say the least.
    -----------
    If you always assume Windows Update is going to restart your computer while you're afk, you'll never be disappointed.

Hiyas. This is probably the final Zolar. Most was done the same way I did my Night Elf, except I sculpted more of the details.

I know he's really ugly but that was his description: funny wig, furry eyepatch, blue splotches on snout, scalemail. :P

zolar2.jpg

zolar2close.jpg

zolar_comps.jpg

The ZBrush render, before post work in Photoshop:

zolar_zrender.jpg
    Threads: * - * -* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * / Tuts: * - * - * - *

Member Follow User Gallery

Cool character. I really like your example shot, very useful for people to see how to make accessories in zbrush.

I wish more people would do that. I would like to see how to make more semi complex character accessories.

Very nice character, and wondefully executed...

Nice use of zbrush tools...

Thanks for the illustrated explanation...

5 stars for all this
    S├ębastien Legrain A.K.A Sebcesoir

http://sebleg.free.fr

Yeahh!!! Thx pixologic, it's damn cool to have Zbrush caps!

Marsyas, aw3som3 ogre!
    Can u tell me, when you were doing the fur-masking, the stippling i mean witht he alpha, how were u able to do so?

I am aware of holding down control to place an alpha mask, but i can not move it over the object as you have done.
    -Matt

Cool design, The fur looks great,
    Nice use of zSpheres, thanks for posting!

Thanks folks.

PHatalitY: I find that learning to use Insert Local Mesh and Insert Connector Mesh are great for making complex ZSphere Accessories. The chain above is an example which I didn't end up using for this model. Also the buttons for the hood.

Sebcesoir: Very generous! Thanks! People like you raise the bar around here.

mattybyng: If you have the Move mode selected while you're editing an object you can start dragging the alpha from anywhere on the screen so long as you're holding 'ctrl'. If you have Draw mode selected, you can only start dragging out an alpha while your cursor is off the model. Hope that's clear.

sadicus: Thanks!

Default @mattybyng

For Don't confuse button Move in mode Edit with General Move Button
    Just Press "W" in Edit Mode and you can place where you want your Alpha with Ctrl Pressed
    Pilou
    Ps This Ogre is terrific and prognastic as well
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Thanks for the clarification, Frenchy Pilou!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Wow great Job!!!

Wow fantastic job Thanks for showing how you did it..
    Art

Member Follow User Gallery

hey hey hey !!! he looks happy too, nice job