ZBrushCentral

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Heres a head ive been playing around with for the past few nights. He’s far from done, so feel free to leave feedback =)
[]

Attachments

lagoon2.jpg

Instantly recognisable so a great job, any plans to detail up the texture a bit as it looks a little flat & the whole scene looks a little dark, but the modelling is top stuff…

Actually, I havnt begun texturing him yet. I just threw a green shader on him. I’ll post some better shots tonight. Aswell as some wireframes.
Thanks =)

looking good sparty, I like your fin details. looking forward to your texturing.

wow greaatsss

i love this creature from 1984 when i was a young guy and i saw the movie on midnight show, with my mother.
it’s second my preferred creatures after werewolf of The wolfman of 1949…
great model.
compliments

In my book, CFBL=cool…always! Nice job, love it!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn’t have any extra time to get some new renders up last night, but i’ll definatley have some new shots up tonight. Yeah, I love the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I grew up near some springs where they shot the film. I remember taking field trips there because they also had a zoo. Very cool monster imo.

Heres a quick wireframe update.
[lagoonwire.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘29314’,‘lagoonwire.jpg’,1,0))

Heres a slightly updated side pic. Originally, I was just going to do the head, but I think I’m going to do the whole body. Updates to come soon =)

[lagoon3.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘29317’,‘lagoon3.jpg’,1,0))

Nice neat topology on the wire frame image, it has a nice flow to it…

Keep it coming…:smiley:

Ive been working on the body the past few nights and should have an update within a few days.
Yeah, I had to be very strategic with the edge loops on the face and more so on the body. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

I think The Creature From The Black Lagoon is one of the best monsters to come out of the 50’s. Love his theme when he attacks!
Pretty good start here, but it needs some tweeks to be a closer likeness.
The neck and face are too heavy, the top of the head looks to pronounced, not enough definition in the nose, and the detail on the brows looks too even and horizontal. I hope that helps.

Creature.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback. Im going to get back to the head once I have the body up to date. I’ll be updating pretty much everything you mentioned =)
I was mostly following this concept for the head.
[2ghghg.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘29649’,‘2ghghg.jpg’,1,0))

Greetings, sparty. That has to be my favorite monster, what a great costume! got to love a big green guy. Your model is much closer to your reference image. Hope to see more. 50.

Ben Chapman,…the ‘On Land Creature’.
http://www.the-reelgillman.com/

Always loved the Gill-man myself. I’ve wondered for years why they never did a remake - they’ve remade everything else - then I came across this:

http://www.filmfanzine.com/?page_id=story&art_id=428

Not sure how I missed this info, but it’s another movie I wish I was involved with. Dang!

Hi Webhead, sounds like an 'on again, off again film. Not a big fan of Bill Paxton, but RON HOWARD, woohooooo! He should do it justice. Maybe they will retain the feel of the soundtrack music, too. My hopes have been dashed too many times over remakes, but I still have some hope left. :smiley: 50.

Yeah, remakes can be a dissapointment. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over THE WILD WILD WEST movie. Great classic show - totally horrendous movie!
KONG was good, though.
I just read someone else might be the director instead of Ron Howard, but it’s all very sketchy. The original Creature movies are out on DVD, so at least there is that. (THE WILD WILD WEST series starts to come out soon, too.)

![05creaturebl11.jpg|702x470](upload://wvqggoStCvzxmkxsgJKqtssQTi5.jpeg)

Yeah, Ive really fallen in love with this monster, great concept and costume. Its been hard to do an accurate model since every pic I find of the creature is different =P Ive pretty much been taking my favorite parts and adding them to my model. Ive been dieing to update with some new pics, but ive been so busy lately that I just havnt had the time. Should get to it tonight though. Thanks for the feedback.
I remake would be very cool if done right, imo.

Still needs a good bit of work, but heres a few updated shots
[update1.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘29844’,‘update2.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

update2.jpg

Lookin’ good, sparty. You have chosen a difficult subject (for me) and doing it well. Keep going! 50.