ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Release - Learning Series: Tileable Textures

[attach=31798]environmentFinal_2.jpg[/attach]

Pixologic has released another video in our Learning Series.

Making tileable texture maps has been a staple of 3D artists for years. Traditional methods require 2D tricks that fake depth. Using ZBrush’s unique Pixol technology you can create tileable images with exact depth information to increase your level of realism.

:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond: Download the movie here :large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:

In this video, I show:

• Why tileable textures are useful
  • An example of how they are used
  • How to use the Clone brush in ZBrush
  • How to use ZBrush's canvas as a modeling tool
  • How to export the canvas as a texture, bump map and normal map
Included with the tutorial is a free ZScript called Layer Shift that will enable you to shift all layers on your canvas half the width or heigth of your canvas.

:large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: Download Layer Shift here:large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond:

Free texture sources on the web:

http://textures.forrest.cz/
http://www.mayang.com/textures/

Texture Libraries for sale

www.Gnomon3d.com
www.absolutetextures.com/
www.Dosch3d.com

I hope you enjoy!

Ryan

[[attach=31799]TILEABLE_ZBCtHUMB.jpg[/attach]]TILEABLE_ZBCtHUMB.jpg

Attachments

environmentFinal_2.jpg

:+1:
Thanks very much Ryan!
Andreseloy

Ryan very nice technique on texturing the bricks. Its cool that you always have a new workflow on how to do things in zbrush. Always learning from your tutorials.

I was wondering Ryan if you’re going to be at this year Sigraph with the Pixologic team? Ill be attending this summer to Sigraph with a group from my college and would be nice to meet all of you guys and would be nice to meet some of the artist from here too(like Rick, Antropus, Glen, etc). :slight_smile:

Ok Ryan thx again!

Javier.

Awesome tut Ryan.

One thing, in the video you mentioned a script that helps to Displace all the layers at the same time that you included with the video but the .rar file you posted only has the .mov included in it and no other files so I was just wondering if you could post that script. Thanks.

Again, awesome tut.

Fascinating and very instructional. Thanks! :slight_smile:

E - I uploaded the zscript to the first post. :slight_smile:

javierloredo - I will definetly be at Siggraph. Come by and say hi. :slight_smile:

andreseloy and Marsyas - Glad you guys like it. :slight_smile:

Ryan

Most excellent. Thanks Ryan. :+1:

Thanks, Ryan!

Your last 3 learning posts have been superb! :slight_smile:
(my greedy little learning engine says: “keep it up”) :smiley:

rookie-z

Fantastic tutorial and nice to see the use of Zbrush features little talked about these days.

thanks a lot, Ryan…:+1:

…a little more technic than mine old one :smiley:

part One.jpg

Result final

PS Free textures by Lemog :cool:

Attachments

textu2.jpg

WooooooooooooW :grimacing:! For a newbie like me there is just SO MUCH to take in from you’re tutorials Ryan! The first time I whatch it I am just sitting glued to the screen trying to follow all the things that are happening with blistering speed, straining my ears to catch all the information you are giving at every action. I will probably spend half a day practicing this tutorial, playing the movie for half a second, tinkering with Zbrush for 2 minutes, playing another half second, tinkering, playing… and learning and having fun all of the way! These tutorials are so helpfull, not just in Zbrush, they also give you more options for you’re work in other 3D-packages. In this instance, I know my textures in LW will be a lot more creative and bumpy from now on :D.

Fore someone who doesn’t have a artschool or 3D education, this sort of tutorials are the most important tools for advancing in a great hobby and becoming a bit more professional with every step.
Just wanted to say this out front; again thanks a lot! :+1:

Sorry for my noobness but, the surface that you have the brick texture and normal map on, is it a single poly or is it all ZBrush at that stage? Meaning if I were to take that texture map and normal map into Max and apply it to a single face. Could I expect the same results as the SS that you posted? Obviously the edges of the poly would remain rigid. But, would the interior resemble what you have?

Thanks for your patience,

Aaron

again, another really nice tutorial, I never used the Z-Depth adjustmen in the picker palette! thx for all your work!

greets
froyd

Ryan, thanks mate. The videos you guys do are alot easier to follow than sitting in class wit my lectures or trying to follow the actual manual. haha

Thanks again mate.

I’ve tried to follow this tut, but I just can’t get my tilde key to work. I follow the vid up to cropping the document but cant go any further. I press “shift key + tilde key” and have tried using alt + tilde key, but it does not move the canvas. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong here, can someone please advise? p.s. my keyboard is U.K. Oh, if I press the space bar I can move the whole doc around the screen but not the canvas as in the video.

DigitalDreamer: I had the same problem once, but now it seems to work fine, I’m using CTRL + ~ , have you tried that?

I have another problem when fullowing the tut; when you have the three layers; one texture, one bricks, one plane for mortar, Ryan tells us to use the clone-tool to get the texturecolor over everything. I turn RetainCenter off, and Layers mode on, but when I use the tool, it paints texture everywhere, EXCEPT on the bricks. What am I doing wrong?

Have you flattened the 2 layers with the grout and the brick and switched the tool to rgb or mrgb?

No, I didn’t flatten the grout and brick layers… would that help? I switched to rgb… -tinkers- … hey! Flattening the two layers helped! Thanks a lot Boozy! :smiley:

Plakkie: thanks but I tried that and it still doesn’t work. I really am dumbfounded by this, I’ve tried other key combos as well in a vain attempt to get it to scroll but still no. Anyone else have any idea what’s wrong?