ZBrushCentral

Tool Album Artwork -- skull fetus

Hey zbrushers…

here’s some album artwork I did for Tool’s latest album 10,000 Days. It was an awesome collaboration with visionary artist Alex Grey and Adam Jones from Tool. Base Modelled in XSI…Zbrushed…then setup and rendered via maya mental ray. Initially done in 3 days…2 days on an extended deadline to iron out the kinks…and figure out how it would work through a stereoscopic viewer.
5 days total.

Incase you haven’t seen it already, everybody should also check out meats awesome work Cgtalk that was also done for the album:

-bay
[skullbaby.jpg]

Impressive work on the skull. The fetus looks a little flat but that doesnt bother me. Great work!

Nice render. Did you come up with the concept too or did they provide you with ideas?

The concept was from Alex Grey…art directed by adam jones…

Great work, really nice craftmanship. Personally I love the artistic and creative side. Very nice concept and positioning.

Fantastic work of art.

Nice work on this I’ve always wondered what a skull baby would look like :lol:

YOU DID THAT? Man, I got the tool album this week and out of all the pics in the booklet, that was the one that stuck with me the most. Awesome work man, Tool is a top notch band. I am oozing with jealousy.
Good job man, congrats.
All the best.

Cool two of my favorite things skulls and fetus ,me likes. One of my favorite things about tool is they employ many talented artists for their albums and videos and they have twisted taste . I love their videos. Great job!
Hey Tittok if you like this kind of stuff you should check out this old thread of mine. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=24876&page=5&pp=15&highlight=death

great work, im a big tool fan. its cool to find out who done these for them.

Hey TikTok,

Have you contributed to the other Tool albums?

~S.~

FEELINGS IN SODOMY, JUST FOR ONE SWEET MOMENT I AM HOME!!!

hahaha

16 years old, my brothers 21st bday, a night of drinking ever clear, fire water, and 3 fights. I woke up at 6 in the morning to that tool video, walked out the door and puked, then went to work at mcdonalds.

never before have i begged so freaking hard to go home from work.

nice head, love toool, talkled to a woman yesterday who named her kid keenan, she said the album is awsome

thanks for all the comments!..

snark: I did infact work for hydraulx…and the dvds that were recently put out of the videos Schism and Parabola… There were visual fx sequences on the opening of those DVDs…that was also incorperated into the packaging…I did most all modelling and texturing on those…in particular the schism sequence.

polyguns: crazy story…they have some great music…

diety: and totally awesome to sculpt too…eh?

monstermaker: thanks so much! and awesome stuff in that old thread!..have always enjoyed your stuff…can never get enough skulls and babies…and such. For some reason…this kind of stuff never gets old, eh?

midofchester: Thanks!
evan: Thanks…me too…

here’s some early WIP images before the texturing and modelling was done…
[fetus_shader_test_02.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘32112’,‘bones_shader_test_06.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

fetus_shader_test_03.jpg

bones_shader_test_06.jpg

“The Zygomatic-Umbilcal cord connection is a great idea !”…it lifts the image above a simple “model inside model” rendering …did you did that in post-production or in the Mental-Ray rendering ?

jantim

jantim: it was done as far as possible with just mentalray…as the image had to be stereoscopic…so anything in post had to lineup exactly…so I took it as far as I could…then just just used a few seperate passes to accent what was already there.

never before could someone get an abortion and a labotomy at the same time :smiley:

listened to the album last night, and saw the cd case. definatly a buy. its the coolest cd case ever, the way you view all the great art work is simply amazing. awsome great job to all who worked on it, especially the box design

Grat Work! very well done :+1: . Thanks for sharing.