Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hi ya folks!

Slocik:
    Theres no easy way to fix your detail problem. I think you schould go on working on what you have, without adding new polys.
    Lets say that there's a little voice inside my head that says that somehow I can over come this issue... Oh! It my stuburn side

laber and lemo:
    I've been trying out your recommendations... although it's kinda hard for someone who doesn't even know what UV means or stands for

Bobina:
    It seems we share a South American sense of humor... AT LAST SOME HUMOR RECOGNITION!!!!!!
    Thanks for the words of support and the link... I'll have to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-read it

I also wanted to thank -again- Jason, Woody and Lemonnado for helping me in a more one to one way -no! not in the way you're think of-

Oooook, here I go...

Remember post #41? -The before, during and after PM issue- well, this time I tried using the bump viewer material -which I imagine simulates what your texture will look like in another app ¿?

I created a gray texture (R128 / G128/ B128) with a 4028 height and width -the highest resolution-
    And then -I'm not sure for what- I pushed the AUVTiles... went to PM and with a grey tone (R226 / G226 / B226) -a very light grey- did some test like the last time (post #41)

These are the results -the good old shoulder again-:

Basic Structure 12 copy.jpg

It got fairly good details... so this method seems to work even with me... now that's all in ZB, I have to see how goes within another app -oh Lord! Another headache-

I'm still thinking that maybe splitting the model could be a good solution, that way each separate part can have more poly count... hmmmm... still have to experiment more... maybe splitting the mesh and the bump map method could give me what I'm looking for -huh!-

I hope this is usefull for anyone... waiting for someone to correct my nonesense again

PS lemo:
    I'm font-aly deaf

Fidel

* Diary of a VSWIP 2 (Raguel) -updated 10.17.07-

elarcano ... u are one very funny guy ... this thread has to be one of my most favorite threads ever posted at ZBC. Well at least the thread that made me laugh the most

Dan
    Last edited by DanRoberts; 06-07-06 at 10:38 PM.

Now this is the great thing about not been known for doing good 3D models... you can dissapear for more than 2 months and nobody notice it hahaha... I could of started a new thread and say the "I'm new to 3D" routine all over again

So, I got to the part I wanted to tackle the problem with my model and understand things a bit more... so I went to scratch -literally- and doing some "design improvements"

SO! here's my first base mesh in XSI -and yes, I know, it's not the cleanest mesh you've ever seen- It's 5630 polys and according to some generous insight that's a pretty good base mesh count

Base Ezequiel 1.jpg
    Base Ezequiel.jpg

Any comment on the "unclean" mesh will be repaid in the afterlife

Thanks

Fidel

hey from one person who remembers ya =P. The model looks good. The more i am sculpting the more I realize how important it is to have those base mesh skills down. Am recently looking into topology and edge flow. It gets kind of confusing haha. Welcome back.

Ignoring how clen the modle is, you really need to fix the hand and the head part i marked :| Especialny the head part, you will geat not too much polys there :| And delete some eages from his belly :] You really would want to make every polygon the same size Keep up the good work ;]

Base Ezequiel.jpg

Hi guys, good to know you're still around

cspalak:
    Thanks for the compliment ZB can create basic mesh through zspheres but I wanted to learn how to make a basic mesh. A lot of people do their basic mesh in another apps and just wanted to go though it. Supposely it gets better results -anyone can comment on it?-

Slocik:
    Yes, you are absolutely right... now, the thing is, adding some edges will do the trick or just moving the ones I already have around? Oh! And thanks a lot for the self explanatory image

Ok, back to XSI... the headackes continues

Thanks guys

Fidel

Quote Originally Posted by elarcano
    [size=3][color=white]Now this is the great thing about not been known for doing good 3D models... you can dissapear for more than 2 months and nobody notice it hahaha...
    I'm glad to see that you're back. I like the form of that model. I think you have a really good base.
    Long dead links removed...

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Mesh Density

I am quite new at this and anything of value that I add is due entirely to the education that I have gleaned from masters at this such as Glen Southern and the folks Gnomon. Commensurate with that goes that anything stupid I say is my own misjudgement and lack of experience.

With that said:

1) The mesh should only be dense on those areas that require it. i.e those areas that undergo deformation will need the ability to adapt properly to changes in ther anisotropic values. Basically where the skin needs to stretch and deform direction a lot to accomodate movement you need more mesh. So you have too much mesh in the abdomen where little flexing is needed and not enough around the joint areas as slocik points out.

2) One of the variations of the temptation of to much detail to soon is trying to sculpt what should be in the higer subd levels in order to make the base mesh. One of the things that I see in masters base meshes is a very angular and harsh looking base that never the less creates this amazing image of the final. This is quite smooth for a base mesh. Worry less about the final details and get the basic forms and directions right. Squint your eyes where needed.

I can't agree with others more though. I LOVE your creativity in combining non-traditional forms. Amazing work that I hope to attain someday. As a developer with little artistic talent that is asking a lot !

---
    Best regards,

prometh3us

cspalak:
    Thanks for remembering me.... my mom sometimes shouts out robber when she suddenly sees me in her house... that wouldn't be that bad if I didn't actually live with her! -31 and he still lives with his mom?!!!! Hey! That's the way in my country! -
    Well I guess it is better to know how to do a good base mesh just in case someone commissions you to do a model from scratch... and it's kinda fun and not that confusing -after 200 hours spent on one model -

slocik:
    Let's see if it's better this time Again, thanks for the pointers

billrobertson42:
    I really never left, I was just busy with the other image posted in my signature. Thanks for the welcome, always good to speak/type to all of you and thanks for the support

RobLively:
    First of all, thanks for breaking things in a very clear way and from what I've read you've been doing very well you're homework
    Regarding the amount of polys used to make a base mesh I think it comes to a personal preferences and some objective needs -which I'm unaware of -
    As I said before -in another thread- XSI offers you a pretty good full body base mesh and it goes up to 5000 and something polys, but then I saw a few day a go a good full body base mesh in the forum -odhinn's thread- that was 1700 polys... and there is no very big difference between them, meaning that the higher poly base mesh is not all that more detailed.
    On the other hand, the very kind Lemmonado pointed out from personal experience and from forum entries pointed out this little chart:
    • Lopoly about 5-6K
    • Mid about 10-20K
    • High about 100-150K
    So I imagine that it all comes down to animating the model from the lowest poly count using normal maps, displacement maps, etc.
    If anyone cares to give some input about this, please feel free to do so

Ok, this took me a fair amount of time... around 200 hours -literary speaking- to get the base mesh I'm happy with -Man! Am I gonna land BIG times on the CG world or what -

Good Base Ezequiel Front.jpg
    Good Base Ezequiel Right.jpg

So, I think it's time to take this guy to ZB -finally!-
    As always, comments and critics are very welcome
    Thanks for hanging around

Fidel

Great work, and good job on correcting the topology I think there are still a few kinks but nothing major. I think it's time for ZB too

Keep us posted
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Nice work on the topology, i see you lerned a lot :] Still You can work a little on the head And dont worry, you will spend a lot more time on things like that :]

Thanks slocik and x-titan for the topology compliments and critics

I've notice that I tend to stare at whatever I'm doing -in a non-productive way- just staring as an idiot as time goes waaaaaaay by. This has been a thing I've been doing since art school and maybe that is why I'm so danm slow at doing anything... that or it's my low IQ and that I'm slightly retarded... hey! I should put that in my resume... that should get me instant commissions, huh!

Ok, here are some updates on the muscle shapes... still lot of work ahead ... wait a minute... deja vu?

Ezequiel Front.jpg
    Ezequiel Right.jpg
    Ezequiel 3-4.jpg

Thanks guys for the interest and specially for posting

PS.
    He has a very stupid face when seen from the side! hahahaha Yeah! really menacing... I can almost hear his goofy laugh

Fidel

Great looking model! I can see this being in a platform video game.
    Christopher Tackett

Thanks Kraken! Your frog model is awesome man
    Video game, that would be cool but for now how about an online comic? ... if I ever finish the first model!

Ok, this is getting embarrasing... I'm pretty happy with the new model but as always there are things I can't understand... for example, some of you complimented on the base mesh so I imagine I must of done something right... BUT! What I can't figure out is that the old model when up around 2.5 million polys and the new one went up to 4.3 million polys -for testing purposes-... BUT! Amazingly the old one with less poly count would allow me to do more muscle definition.

The following example is just to show you the differences between the good old shoulder of both models

Poly Comparison.jpg

The new model seems to have bigger polygons than the old one wich doen't allow me to go futher... danm! Deja vu is really kicking me in the... oh well you know where

Is there something I'm not getting? Like a Brain?!!!

Any insights are always welcome

PS.
    I wonder if I'm going to be the first one to be thrown out of the community because a boring-not-going-nowhere-useless-time-and-space-consuming-thread?... I still fear Aurick -glup!

Fidel

ha...any thread that shows progress is not a boring useless waste of space. besides....any thread that shows the good with the bad and tells us what ya learned along the way shall save some other perhaps the same fate and progress a tad faster than they would have yesterday. So....post on!

and enjoy the learning process....even when ya bump uglies with the wall.....keep going til ya blast thru or climb over...it's all good.

didn't read that far back but what were the starting polys for old and new meshes?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast