ZBrushCentral

American BullFrog

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, critiques welcome!

Base mesh was modeled in Lightwave Modeler then ported to Zbrush for displacement. Texturing was done in ZBrush via ZApplink with PS CS. Then rendered in Lightwave.

Steve Warners Zbrush there and back again tutorial was a huge help to get me up and running quickly with this pipeline.

I attached a few WIP images and finished render.

Cheers!
Dougdisplace_1.jpgfrog_v04lores.jpgwire.jpgbullFrogFinallow.jpgZBC_THUMB.jpg

Pro work!
Just great.

Welcome, freshdb! It’s great to see another of what I call, ‘High-Enders’ join us. A term of admiration. The scene is just wonderfully done. Real Frog perfection! 50.

Thanks for showing - very nice indeed and good to see a Lightwaver.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Did you assign UV’s in Lightwave or is the model using GUV or AUV tiles.
I ask because I never had any success with my Mac version of Lightwave 8 which is why I started using Carrara as my ZBrush buddy?

I believe that v9 will improve this?

very nice…

5 stars…:+1:

its good, but it lacks “Life”. I am obsessed with Reptiles and Amphibians and see frogs very often, and there eyes are more shiny, and there skin is WAY more bumpy in places. And i noticed you didnt even include the small poison gland behind the ear. Also, the snout of the frog should not be that pointy, or long…

but not like i could do better!

i do like this though!
cheers
andy

Thank you for the kind replies! and I can’t believe its on the featured gallery :slight_smile:

@ boozy floozie - First, I love your screen name! :lol: With this project I wanted to try something different by texturing completely in Zbrush. So no, I didn’t UV in LW, I did GUV tiles in ZB. As far as I know LW9 should address a lot of the issues everyone is having, hopefully on mac too. I was using a mac at work with LW8 and it was kind of unstable, but more importantly, I missed out on a lot of great plugins.

@ Joopson - As far as the shiny eyes, that was an artistic license I took on the piece, I did the lighting as if the whole shot is under the shade of a tree branch near the edge of the water. Do a google image search and you can find similar situations. As far as teh bumpyness, I guess that depends on teh kind of frog.
Could you elaborate about the American BullFrog having a poison gland? They are not poisoness, so you have my curiosity peaked. :slight_smile:

How far do you think I should take the snout back? I was kind of going for something like this guy http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/multimed/pics/animals/bullfrog.gif

I love frogs and reptiles too, they are a lot of fun, aren’t they? cheers, thanks for the critiques!

That’s a very good render !..but i have to agree with Joopson !..the American Bullfrog is more bloated then ,lets say the European or Asian variant, his eye’s are more duller-you got that right !- but bigger then the one you made !
He is indeed very “lumpy” and very agressive, but not poisoness !..its not a “sneaky” reptile at all, …you missed the reptula-frills around his eyes and the color is all wrong, but the rest is spot-on ! :+1:

jantim

they do have poison glands(to make anything that eats them sick :rage: ) but they are only visible as a full grown male American Bullfrog. And the snout should be more rounded, like this:

http://www.nps.gov/prsf/nathist1/wildlife/reptiles/images/bullfrog.jpg

hope my comments help! and, if the frog is full grown, IT IS MUCH LARGER :slight_smile:

lol

5 stars here :+1:

Thanks, Doug! I’m glad the tutorial was helpful. :slight_smile: Great job with this!

Have you seen this thread? :slight_smile:

Thoroughly love the stand alone render.

Used to go hunting for those durned ol bullfrogs as a kid…if only their heads stuck up that far and the water was that clear!!:wink:

I still like the final comp…feels rushed tho.

Am curious as to his enviroment…all lw or background pic with some added objects to give depth, or just some durn good fun in ps?

Would love to suggest ya keep some notes on your next go around with texturing and coloring in zb for a tutorial of sorts…providing you have the time. I think we could all learn alot from ya.

keep posting!

@Frenchy Pilou - I haven’t, but I’m a big fan of southern’s work, thanks for pointing that out!

@aminuts - Yuck, what kind of fresh water lake were you playing in! The lake I grew up on in Maine is very clean, you can see the bottom 15 feet down on a clear day. In all seriousness, thats not the first time I’ve heard that comment, I think the confusion lies in the type of body of water this is. Its suppose to be a New England fresh water lake. Some have thought a dirty pond or a southern lake which they can get somewhat dirty since they don’t have a harsh winter to “clean out”.

The environment is all LW, 100% cg. I am suppose to write an article about this for a magazine, I need to get started on that soon. I’ll let you guys know when its close to fruition.

Thanks for the comments!

Heres the finished animation, its short and simple.

Lightwave 8.5 for modeling/lighting/rendering
Fusion for composition
PS for texturing via ZappLink
Zbrush for frog dislpacement/textures

16Mb
American Bullfrog: Click Here!