ZBrushCentral

Aias the Tower tutorial

Welcome to my tutorial:cool:
This is basically a step-by-step walkthrough for an image called Aias the Tower (a hero from Iliad).

In this tutorial I will explore ZBrush's excellent painting tools. Those tools pack a lot of power, and allow simultaneous painting and mixing, similar to what Painter's brushes can do. By utilizing those tools, Zbrush becomes the ultimate Illustratorā€™s dream tool, covering the need for reference (by modelling the props), lighting, material indications and advanced painting. Keep in mind that this tutorialā€™s focus is the creation of still images. So the process does not include any considerations about topology, polygon count, texturing or even rendering finesse. This is Zbrush used as a hybrid 2D+3D illustration toolset ;)

Attachments

ZBC_THUMB.jpg

This is the sketch for my image.

[Sketching.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(ā€˜33782ā€™,ā€˜Sketching.jpgā€™,1,0))

To draw this I used a charcoal immitation technique. Check it out in the following ZScript:
Sketching.zip

Based on my sketch, I modeled the parts I need as reference for my painting. This forum is packed with information on how those parts are created, so I will keep my walkthrough simple for this part.

[Modeling.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(ā€˜33787ā€™,ā€˜Helm.jpgā€™,1,0))

So I recorded the process in the following zscript:

Attachments

Helm.jpg

I place the objects I created on the ZBrush canvas using the Gyro tool to push them back or bring them forward. I also use the sketch as a guide for placement. Most of those objects have their own layer. If I have too many objects, I place some together into the same layer as long as their placement is not adjacent, so that I could easily edit them if need be.

[attach=33789]Placing.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Placing.jpg

Once the objects are placed, I begin my lighting experimentations. This is a very important part of the process, because it will affect the final painting more than anything else.
I am not overly concerned about rendering as I light my image, since it will be painted. My lighting goal is to create effective reference for my painting and to bestow some emotional impact.

[[attach=33790]Lighting.jpg[/attach]]Lighting.jpg

Since all of my objects are placed on separate layers, it is easy to paint them with materials. For this image I used only two materials. More variations will be created during the painting stage.

[attach=33791]Materials.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Materials.jpg

I turn on the Best render option, with shadows on. I donā€™t care about antialiasing at this stage, nor for size. When I use this process, I usually render at low resolution. That way I can render faster and with more rays for my shadows. I have also noticed that materials look better at lower resolutions.

After rendering I always tweek the brightnes, contrast and channels of my image with Adjustments. Some times I create several versions, and then blend them together in Photoshop. For this image though, I am using only ZBrush, thus no multi-render compositing :wink:

[attach=33792]Render.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Render.jpg

I merge all layers, and then I bake the image. Then I raise the resolution of the image to the maximum (since I do all this work, I like to be able to print it). I end up with my painting ground. This is where painting fun begins.

I tried to write a zscript for the process, and I ended up with two trials:
In the first trial (Little Devil), something went wrong while recording. So, the final placement of my model on the canvas was recorded with wrong coordinates. As a result, my painting is misplaced during the playback of the Zscript:mad: However, the technique is clearly shown.

In the second trial (Bigger Devil), something went wrong while recording also.
So the final rendering was not recorded correctly. As a result, the colors have shifted hues during the playback of the Zscript:evil: However, the technique and the use of the tools is very clear.
(If someone knows how to correct those Zscripts, please email me.)

In any case, this is how they looked when I painted them:

[[attach=33794]ZPainting.jpg[/attach]]ZPainting.jpg

Keep in mind that those Zscripts are recorded at a default resolution (in order for them to playback almost properly). So the brushes are not able to create the painterly texture that is possible at higher resolutions.
Check them out:
Little Devil
Bigger Devil

On the left you can see my low rez rendering. Of course Zbrush can render a million times netter than this. But for this technique, this is all I need.
On the right you can see the painted result, created with Zbrushā€™s painting tools. I had to scale this 50% down, in order to be able to upload it. The painterly texture that you see can be achieved only at higher resolutions, so that the brushes have a lot of pixels to work with.

[Comparison.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(ā€˜33797ā€™,ā€˜Comparison.jpgā€™,1,0))

And this at last is the final painting.
I hope you enjoyed the tour. I will be glad to answer any questions;)

[AiasTower.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(ā€˜33798ā€™,ā€˜AiasTower.jpgā€™,1,0))

Wow man, this is one of the most interesting tutorials (and at the same time: methods :wink: ) I ever saw over here! :sunglasses: Your workflow is very interesting, as you go so artistic with the hybrid capabilities! :+1:

I havenā€™t yet been able to view the scripts, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll learn much of it. :slight_smile:

Btw: your ā€˜Journey Beginsā€™ is absolutely amazing! I have much respect for the fact you did (almost?) everything in ZBrush. That fact, plus reading this tutorial, makes my fingers tingling for some ZBrushing (as I havenā€™t done that for 3 months or so *shame :wink: *)

Thanks for the very good tutorial & all the best on the judging of your Journey-entry!
-Gijs

Mytholon,

This post is a heroic effort in more ways than one.

First, in terms of the powerful, heroic image. Well done.

Second, and more so, in terms of the heroic demonstration of process. This ā€œpaintersā€ approach in style and technique is old school (in the best sense of the term). You utilize ZBrush in a way that takes advantage of ALL the early Ztools, especially those that originally defined ZBrush, (i.e. the ones that put the ā€œBRUSHā€ in ZBrush!)

Yours is a rather unique, personal approach to ZBrush used as the complete artistā€™s tool, not merely as a pipeline waystation for detailing existing 3d models.

Keep it upā€¦ and thanks for all your work in creating this thread. It should help and inspire lots of ZBrushers (emphasis on the Brushers!)

Sven

Better then a render! Great use of a great tool!
Thanks for sharing your unique style!
Have a great weekend!
:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:
Lemo

Great workā€¦

I am just goign through the techniques.

Well definately try them out in my comics. :smiley:

F A N T A S T I C!!!
Not to belittle the many excellent tutorial and movies
that have gone before. But something like your approach to
this is unique and needed.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness and time.

More Please???

Finally I can understand a little bit How You Do It! This tut shows how multifunctional and hybrid Zbrush can be, and how a piece of software can be the tool for an artist. Many thanks for the inspiration Mytholon! :+1: :+1: :+1:
By the way, I love the chosen subject. Aiax (Aias) with the towering shieldā€¦ I would like to have an Ilias illustrated by you Mytholon :D. It is easy to see how Zbrush could be used to mutilate Hektorā€™s body dragged behind Achillesā€™ chariotā€¦ :evil::wink:

MAny thanks for posting this

i think u feature many of the cool stuff in Zbrush that goes beyond that standard ā€œi painted some wrinkles for my maya meshā€ stuff. 5 stars

What a lesson :+1:
Why not more artists give not as you 1 or 2 scripts?
The pedagogic aspect of Zbrush is not enougth used :cry:

One more time BRAVO! :sunglasses:

Awesome tutorial! Thanks a lot!

hi! great tut. just nails it, ive been the same sort of thing, ie: more from an artist point of view than a tec modeler , but i just cant get as well sorted
as you to get it down in black and white, bravo:+1: :+1: :+1: