ZBrushCentral

Two marvel heros

Hi!

This is my first post :smiley: First thing I want to say is that this site rules! Alot of really inspiring stuff here! :+1:
Here is two marvel heros I made with zbrush. Rendering is done in maya with mentalray. Postproduction in digital Fusion 4.
I’ve had some problems learning how to pipe the sculpt from zbrush properly to maya. The first time I didn’t get displace/normalmaps to work at all so I just used it as a bump (old venom render).
Then with dare devil I got the normalmap to render but there was some errors here and there. Some details didn’t match with zbrush either.
The third time I revisited my venom scene which I only used a bump the first time. I resculpted the intire mesh and used zmapper to output the normalmap, and it worked really well. I have tried displacement also, but I’ve never been satisfied with the result. Long rendering time and not as much details as the normalmap. Trying to get a hang of this whole anatomy thing, these are my first tries. Comments are welcome, always trying to improve!

regards J

old venom render:
jwm_venom_old.jpg

Hope the images are not too big.

Attachments

jwm_venom_zbrush.jpg

jwm_dd_zbrush.jpg

I really like the daredevil rendered in maya. I also like the leather material that you used, too:lol:
However, I definitely feel that you can enhance overall look of the character with correct anatomy. I also spend lot of time studying anatomy and stuff, too. You can check out my link below. Hope that it’s useful somehow. :slight_smile:

Anatomy Study

Thanks! I’ve used ref pictures I’ve found on google. With dare devil I also had to think about the suit he was wearing so I didn’t want the muscles to look too defined. I also bended the arms and legs a bit extra to enhance the pose.
I’m gonna start on a human sculpt aswell. But I only have a messy base mesh in maya so far. I was so tempted to go to zbrush directly that I ended up enhancing my old venom mesh instead :smiley: Right now I feel like taking a break from my home projects so I’ll do it later when I feel inspired again.

Daredevil has been my fav character since the early 80s…Just like to say you did a gorgeous job. Great stylized look…totally captures a comic feel. Maybe you could do a black and white background for it…
But no critz…beautiful.

:+1:

I very much like it! Love the latex-like quality of the costumes. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Hi guy, wath i can say? this is very good i like a lot the dare devil
sucess for you

Thnx guys glad you enjoyed them! :smiley: I actually tried a black and white background. Also had one version where I suppressed all colors but red. But I ended up using a colored background anyway because I thought it looked more dynamic.

hey man… some good rendering here… but i feel the anatomy is whats bringing the images down… if you worked on that it would really makes them outstanding.

snap on venom… i did a quick sculpt of him last night! check it out… venom

With venom I felt like i could play around a bit. But with DD I actually tried to make his anatomy believable. Though I always get blinded after a while. Now that I look at it I think the chest could do some work. And the where the right arm meets the body. I did some fixes in maya after I imported the zbrush mesh as you can see the sculpt and the render differ a bit. But it tons of fun learning anatomy. Considering before I started these images I knew nothing :smiley: Tell me what you think is the problem areas. I don’t think I’ll rework these anymore but it will be good to know for my next project.

cheers J