ZBrushCentral

The Sin Eater (WIP)

Hi All

Just started playing on a project, the idea came from the medival sin eaters who where employed to lay bread on the dead and dying, and then eat the bread after prayers had been spoken, In the beleif that the deceased’s sins would be eaten.

I have modeled this in parts, but now reconsidering re doing the lot from one who Zsphere character, and making the head more monsterous like having his eyes stiched up.

So these images are purely roughts, there are loads that i now want to change. but they get this thread started.

I hope i get more comments than my last thread Symbol-0x
[ZSEHead.jpg]ZSinEater.jpg

Hi Panstar!
This is very nice, good sculpting too.
I think he should look as if he’s in pain maybe, especially with that stomach stretching head poking out!
I think the head itself is sound, it’s maybe just the expression.
I really like the concept of this - what religion did this sin eating belong to?
By the way, I looked at your last thread, and the images in that were excellent too.
Keep it up, and keep posting - not everyone who loooks at a thread actually replies to it (except maybe Frenchy;)).
Jit.

Thanks Jit

Yes I agree, the face expression could do with showing more pain or sorrow, although the idea I’m playing with in my mind, would make his face hard to show expresion. Kinda Cenobytes from Hellraiser. Is the nearest i can explain at the moment. I feel he should be of a creature that comes to take the sins, instead of human.

As the Sin Eaters where the ones who took on everones sins, they would be given a small fee afterwards and that hastly pushed out of the house and chased of with sticks, stones and anything else the villagers could use with hate. So I feel he should look quite a sorrowfull and lonsome creature, yet dark and tortureus.

You asked what religion, the sin eaters where, as i’m aware it was and English practice from medival times, with cases being reported upto recent times, amazingly. So I’m Guessing its Christian.

Thanks for looking and commenting on my last thread, by the way. People commented on the skulls but not the main Pic eeven though there was a thousand viewings. So I started to wonder if I was offending people with the my tongue in cheek view of Occult Symbolism, even though to me the title said it all.

Anyway thanks for your kind words and I shall post the progress with this one sooon.

Ok I’ve built a Zsphere base to continue this. This is only my 2nd attempt at a full figure, and after studying other peoples post for their riging I’m hoping I’ve got this right with the placments of spheres.

If anyone can spot areas i’ve gone wrong please point them out,I’m sure Jason Belec if you view this you will have a few points to add, as you appear to be the master at this.

before anyone makes comments on the appendage coming from the stomach, this is to be a creature coming from his stomach and nothing else thats been miss placed, as a friend had enquired!!!:grimacing:small_orange_diamond:D

[SEfigurbuild.jpg]

I have removed the stomach appendage for the creature coming out and decided to add later. I’ve also bulked out the figure, as I thought if he’s eating everyones Sins then he hisn’t going to be a slim Chap.

So far posing the figure, seems to be working as should be unlike my first attempt. Loads more to do, proportions need to be worked on. But I’m happy the way this is going with such ease.

To give an Idea of where I’m going with this,I intend to have his stomach stretched open with hooks, attached to a light bodice of chains. Ears, Eyes and mouth will be stitch closed.

Comment and Crits would be a help.

[SEfigureSculpt.jpg]

Skin folds worked further, started on head and given shape to shorts. I’ll keep posting the progress
[thumb.jpg]figur1.jpg

Attachments

head.jpg

SEfigureSculp2.jpg

Thanks for the updates on this - he sure is a lumpy guy!
Keep posting - it’s looking good so far.

Thanks Jit

yes he is lumpy, once I have all the anatomy shaped out, I’ll smooth and refine him off. I had a lot of work done to his head last night, but ZB crashed when I took the poly level to 8. So it looks like i’m gonna have to do as much as I can upto L7, pose him and add details on the polymesh instead of the Zsphere structure.

I intend to sit him a wheelchair, with severed feet and model hands seperatly.
Though I wish ZB had a mirror function, so I could model one hand then mirror a copy for the other. So thats gonna be a fun bit, to get two sphere structures to have the same geometry. Hmmmm!?:confused:

i’ll keep posting

Hi havn’t been able to upload anything for the past week due to a huge lighting storm taking our phone exchange out!!:grimacing:

So I’ve been pretty busy on this, character, well on his head mainly. still more work to be don with the body. This little project has inspired me to create a set for each of the seven sins. So I Think this guy should be Gluttony Or Gula.

[SEH_Thumb.jpg]headtexttest3.jpg

Would great appreciate some more comments & Crits, on this from viewers
thanks !

Attachments

head2.jpg

headtexttest2.jpg

bodyWIP5.jpg

Ok I’ve reworked his stomach, and worked more with the muscles. Having trouble getting his forearms to look right. And can’t decide what to do about his hands.
[thumb.jpg]bodySc2.jpg
Really could do with some feedback from here. Thanks

Attachments

bodySc1.jpg

Hey Panstar!
Good to see your progress.

I think the general shape of the muscle groups needs some work - you’ll need to do some research (google) for that - if you get the shapes of the muscles on the arms and chest more accurate, then the overall look will improve drastically.
As for the hands, I would imagine he would have chunky hands with short fingers, maybe even missing a digit or two…

Keep up the good work. Keep posting. More people will take notice as you progress towards texturing and more detailing.

Thanks, Jit.

I agree with jit_gohil, the muscles need a little work. They’re a bit square…
Aside from that, its looking great. Cant wait to see whats coming out of that stomach.

Thanks jit / Dark Messiah for your feedback, I have worked more on the muscles. I have done a search on google for ref images, but couldn’t really find anything decent to work from. So I took a poser model and replicated the muscle structure from that. Still need some work doing on them though.

I want to detailing him up more but I have to take him into a polymesh to get the the resolution I need.

With his hands, I’m thinking of keeping one as stump, but building some bio mechanicle implement of torture into it. And just havew one hand sculpted.

As for whats in his stomach !!! ahhhh ! thats the beast within, but i’ll get to that later;)
[thumb.jpg]bodysculpt4.jpg

Attachments

bodysculpt3fr.jpg

bodysculpt5ba.jpg

That looks really awesome man! As for the muscles I think they should be more chiselled. Like the bicep has a dimple on the inside part of the arm if you look at your own, and just make the whole arm a little bigger, I think they look a little small for the size of his shoulders and body. I think the back view of his arms looks good. Maybe make the joints more definate would bring out his muscles more too. The head and torso are just amazing. I wana see what you do with the hole in his stomach :D. I hope this helps with your muscle problem, and I guess I was just thinking more humanly muscles that may not be what you want :-p. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback Chedder, I will keep working on those arm muscles, being my first full figure, it’s taking a bit of time to get them right. So all feedback is very helpfull. and this project is proving a usefull learning curve.

Anyway, I’ve gon back to the head for now, and re-worked the Jaw area, to have the skin peeled back, and just started bringing in the teeth and muscle texture,

hope you all like
headthumb.jpg

Attachments

headculpt.jpg

I’ve tried something out to get around his hands ( Call me lazy) by having hooks attached to hold the stomach flesh open. I also realised that all the work i done lastnight on the jaw was on an un posed polymesh. Which I created to check I could get the details i wanted. got carried away and forgot it’s not posed. Doh

Anyway, comments on this hook idea would be great.thanks

[bodypose.jpg]

The hooks are a great idea - I would put on two hooks per hand as you have got four corners of flesh to hold open.

Looking good so far! I like it!

Thanks jit, I had concidered a double hook, for the reason you pointed out. but decided to keep the 4 points as being stapled to the gut. with his wrists I’m going to sculpt Bandages, and have other implemtents poking through.

Glad you like the idea of the hooks, I was a bit unsure.

I’ll post some more updates later

Hi again

another update, I’ve added his Stomach host, built from zspheres still needs modeling but gives the basic idea. want to model the heads to a leach like mouth. but knowing me that could change once i start modeling

[thumb.jpg]Glugo01.jpg

Hi Peeps

80% finished on the body 70% happy with the head, just realised I havn’t touched the ear area, yet. done more work on the host, will post updates soon.

Comments and Crits please

[[attach=36486]thumb2.jpg[/attach]]thumb2.jpg

[[attach=36487]headsculpt2.jpg[/attach]]headsculpt2.jpg

[[attach=36488]bodyWIP5.jpg[/attach]]bodyWIP5.jpg