Senior Member Follow User Gallery

EvilSmiley, yugu, Drummer, Steve-T, Strannik, Serozh, alancamara,
    thanks for the nice words!

Atwooki,
    the number of polys at SubD level 6 is about 3.9 million. I'm not going to subdivide more than this because I can create finer details by adding a bump or normal map in Maya

slocik,
    no, the final render will gonna be in Maya/Mental Ray. About the settings, I already posted it here. Use the same shader/light and add a good skin color map and you should get similar results. Some color correction in Photoshop always helps too.

jit_gohil,
    looks llike he is happy with the results so far but you know Rick, he is just too nice to say what's wrong in the model

javierloredo,
    you surely can use the stencil! Don't know if will gonna be as fast as it is the way I do but you should get good results that way. Give it a try and share some results with us.

monstermaker,
    Mirror? Rick, you are just too kind man
    I find new things to fix everyday I look at the model and the references. I'm getting closer but I still have a long way to go to make this model look more like you
    About the beard, sure! Let's add some color for the next update!
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement and nice words, Rick! YOU are da man.

Mr. Positive,
    isn't technology amazing sometimes? I got my O-1 visa and my first job in USA 2 years ago because of my posts in CG foruns. I was a banker at that time (I was a banker for ONLY 16 years... that was just sad ). Few years later I could actually meet and talk to Rick in person at the last Siggraph and also in the last ZBrush meeting. I think I still feel a little bit like a banker geek living in Brazil. That's why I think meeting people that always inspired me when I was working with CG only as a hobby, like Rick, Meats Meier, Ken Brilliant etc, is still a little surreal for me. It's not a fanboy thing or because these amazing artists are more than humans or something like that, because they are just like us (only much more talented, damn! ). It's just the way that my whole life changed in a very short period of time... thank God!
    So yeah, internet can be amazing sometimes

ivar_sn,
    thanks for the nice words and welcome to te ZBrush world!
    Yeah, start posting your works here because this is the best CG forum available on internet IMHO. Very talented artists sharing techniques and is there always someone decided to help you

-Kris

Talking I am not sure :)

these amazing artists are more than humans or something like that, because they are just like us
    There is a little thing more in their brain
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Quote Originally Posted by Antropus
    Mr. Positive,
    isn't technology amazing sometimes? I got my O-1 visa and my first job in USA 2 years ago because of my posts in CG foruns. I was a banker at that time (I was a banker for ONLY 16 years... that was just sad ). Few years later I could actually meet and talk to Rick in person at the last Siggraph and also in the last ZBrush meeting. I think I still feel a little bit like a banker geek living in Brazil. That's why I think meeting people that always inspired me when I was working with CG only as a hobby, like Rick, Meats Meier, Ken Brilliant etc, is still a little surreal for me. It's not a fanboy thing or because these amazing artists are more than humans or something like that, because they are just like us (only much more talented, damn! ). It's just the way that my whole life changed in a very short period of time... thank God!
    So yeah, internet can be amazing sometimes
    Wow, nice story, didnt know that you are working in cg only for 2 years :] How long were you doing it as a hobby ?? :P

Member Follow User Gallery

Wow Kris, that's a very inspiring story. I think I might have to go to the SIGGRAPH, I only live in upstate New York and about 2.5 hours from Boston. I've only been messing around with 3D models and ZBrush for 5-6 months as a hobby and I would like a career change as well or at least do web design and programming for the 3D community! Currently I'm programming and designing websites for a Retail Lumber company and doing freelance webdesign outside of work.

Any suggestions about what to expect and what to do when going to the SIGGRAPH?

Thanks for all your inspiration and sharing some of life history!

Mike

Pardon my ignorance but until a few minutes ago i didnt know much about Rick Baker aka MosterMaker because i havent been in 3d for a long time.....but....after a google search .......wow.....just....WOW....i mean.....WOW...i'm honoured just reading your words in this forum.....5 Oscars?....thats just......this is...wow.....

Great topic antropus......you too are an idol for me and many others especialy after all of those cgtalk contest wins.....someday i'll try to make a model of you (after i'll get a little better of course....dont want to mess it up)

Great modeling and great texturing. Too bad threre's not a CG challenge where you could enter that into.

It would be cool to see him morf into Frankenstein or the Werewolf.

Hey Kris! I tryed to mess around with the stencil and the inflate tool. I also used the standard brush for some of the pores. I wish i had more RAM to add more geometry to make better details. Well, here is a test I tryed with the stencil and it would be nice, and if you have the time, to give some kind of critic or how would you doit. Ok Kris thx again! Have a good one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alien_kid_stencil copy.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	35936  

Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Kris,

Amazing job on Rick, just wanted to say thank you for all work flow tips using zbrush. I am modelling a character that I hope to do a short animation with and I have found your techniques to be excellent. Keep up the great work.

Cheers

I just want to say goodbye to you all and thank you for the incentive and nice words once more. I'm glad that some of my techniques are helping you in some way. I promise I'll keep sharing it!

Now I'm going to pack my computer and disconnect from internet, reconnecting once I'm in Brazil in a couple of days. You guys rock!

Best!
    -Kris

Thanks Kris, and don't worry, we'll survive for a while without you (only just ) - your family are the number one priority, (followed by zbrush, then food, drink etc... )
    Enjoy yourself, and on behalf of everyone on this forum,
    Thanks for everything.

In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.Michael Jackson.

have a nice trip to Brazil and have a nice time with your family and friends..but please don`t forget us ...we will be waiting for you here ..

BIG THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!

Cheers

Can you show your base mesh?

did you add specific edge loop for the beard and hair area before you started modeling?

When you work on portrait like this one or Picasso, do you collect a lot of picture, draw yourself from photography, do a plastiline version before you start or it's just 'on the fly' in Zbrsuh?

Respect, portrait are hard stuff

My God! Your work is always inspiring...but this is just the ultimate level of coolness....and you totally rendered rick's COOLNESS! way to go, yay! praying for a tut like the picasso one.....tell us your secrets!

p.s. mr.monstermaker: sounds like a modern dorian gray syndrome to me

Default m

this is really neat model, i can say myself that is too reallystic. i don know i think realism is the main thing in 3d but i'm not sure. i only can say this guy is so similar to the main thing you try to model. really nice portaril of a great legend.

That's such an inspirational story. Gives me hope. Thanks for sharing it.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast