ZBrushCentral

Zbrush Lithography Updated with Tutorial

Some old works reworked. Hopefully I’ll finally have time to do new stuff. This look is achieved by using the custom filter 3 with different settings and using the highlighter 2,blur and sharpen tools.

NICE coloring job there.

i like the greens you used!

Cool stuff. You could create some very nice Escher-like pictures with this technique. :+1: :slight_smile:

Both pics are very nice, Raf! The armour rocks in the b/w one. :+1:

Thanks for the replies.
Neo: The coloring was done by the program. I did choose the greens. This was originally a 3D image turned into 2D by using 2D on a picture of the final rendered image.

Jay: Now that’s a good idea. I might look into that.

Grub: Thanks. It did take me a while to model that armor.

Hi Raf
The black and white take a style of “old engraving” :cool:
Pilou

Hi Rafael,
good image transition…
I love both.
The FilterIII and FilterV tool are very powerful.

cameyo

This is so beautiful, Rafael. I have a WIP where I wanted to do this effect. I was going to make a post or look through the Quick links soon and try find how toweird?

beautiful work Rafael!!!

Combo C

Beautiful technique! The bottom one is wonderfully illustrative and the top is a great etching-like look!
Great job Rafael!
Best regards,
Michael

Hi Combo
Just try to play with the Tools/Filter.
You will be surprise by the result :cool:
The nativ Cameyo Filters with examples !
Have Happy Filters :cool:
Pilou

Great tecnique Raphael!!! Well done !! :smiley: :+1: :+1:

thats obviously a very effective technique and the results are :+1: :+1: :+1: bravissimo, Rafael!

• juandel

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Pilou: Thanks for pointing out that this looks more like “old engraving”.

Cameyo: You are absolutely right. Those tools are very powerful and undersuded by most. Thanks for your post on the subject and your CustomFilter zscript.

Pushgetty,Juandel,MrBraun, thanks for your comments.

I’ve been spending the last week trying to come up with an exact procedure so that I could write a tutorial. I had to do this because the way that I came up with this technique was by pure accident while playing with the 2D tools. It took me a while just to recreate the effect in the black and white image and I could not come up with the exact same result for the color image. Nevertheless I think that I’ve come up with a method that can get you good results.

CUSTOM FILTERS TUTORIAL

For this tutorial you will need cameyo’s CustomFilter zscript which you can find in this thread.

1.First create your Zbrush scene
2.Bake the layer (This is very important)
3.Load cameyo’s CustomFilter script.
4.Choose the “Edge_Line” Filter. This will create a custom filter using the CustomFilter III tool. The values of this filter will be:
0 -10 0
-10 40 -10
0 -10 0

Change these values to:
0 -1 0
-1 4 -1
0 -1 0

1. Apply this filter to the whole image. The image will get very dark.
  2. Apply the HighlighterBrush II or the cleanup filter in cameyo’s script numerous times until the image becomes clearer.
  3. From this point on. It turns more into art than science. Depending on your image you may have to apply blur to make it look softer, or apply the colorizer brush with a white color to turn it black and white. Also remember that different materials will react differently to the process.

Underneath are some images in which you can see the process applied. The first one is of my Wip chopper rendered with the default material. The second is the image after undergoing the technique. The last one is the same image with the colors inverted.

Hope that this was useful to ComboC and everybody else.

I really like these. Maybe someone can come up with a script that can create the line art type image of your motorcycle there automatically. I really like the line art look.

Hi Raph
Is the 2 Last bikes Black & White and White & Black rendered in Zbrush ?
Pilou

kelly: That would be a great idea. We just need somebody who can write zscripts follow the steps in my tutorial.

Frenchy: The middle image was created from the first using the steps that I outlined previously, so the first one and the second one were rendered (or processed) entirely in zbrush. The last is just the middle one with the colors inverted. You can do this in most image manipulation programs(gimp,photoshop)

Hi Raf
Thx
It’s was just for know if you have transfert the dxf to a prog than Autocad or similar :slight_smile:
(the PF lines)
Pilou
Ps I think that you can make the same (inverse color) in Zbrush :slight_smile:
I have made a thread about that :roll_eyes:
I shall try to refind it :slight_smile:
Not for the moment :frowning:
… but in general
:large_orange_diamond:G rabb it the first image (with the MRgbZ grabber tool)
:large_orange_diamond: Inverse the texture (Sub Menu Texture) :sunglasses:
:large_orange_diamond: Redraw with a Brush + RGB 100%+ Drag Rect
and you will obtain the result (It’s the dead of Photo_shop :smiley:
I remember that was also the convert of a color image to a level grey image :slight_smile:
I must refind that :slight_smile: