ZBrushCentral

Vector outlines and extrude shape

Is it possible to bring vector lines or create vector lines in ZBrush and extrude them using different shapes?

I know it is not available in Zbrush now but is it possible to write a script to achieve this. I believe it would open up allot of possibilities.

If you could turn your shape into an alpha that might help you.

Billrobertson42,
Thank you for the suggestion.

It would be nice not to have to model in another program and than bring it in to Zbrush.

I work allot with vector lines and find them a great way to create shapes fast.

I believe it would help use all with modeling in zbrush if we could take a vector out line and a vector cross section and have it follow a single vector or between two vectors to create a shape, the possibilities are well worth the efforts to have it available in Zbrush.

Here are some very simple examples of possibilities that would take seconds to create with vectors and might take some time with Zbrush.

The ability to create a surface from a 2D vector is very cool.

…some things like that with the morphing targeting in Zbrush :slight_smile:
(difference betwwen 2 volumes who have same number of polygones)
Use also the Sweepfrofil3D tool!
Extrusion is implicit with the Make Alpha3D :slight_smile:

And the Use of Projection Master With Zsub or Zcut who permit some booleans operations between vomumes 3D

Frenchy Pilou,

Thank you for the idea’s

The morphing targeting works well for belding the two shapes, but drawing out the shapes is a killer.

What is the Sweepprofil3D tool, I’ve looked for it but can not find it or any information about it?

Extruding is easy in Zbrush but making a sipmle shape is time consuming.
Bringing in an Alpha never gives a crisp shape.
Any way to have the sketch pad transfer to a geomertic shape?

I can see how those would be difficult in zbrush. Not all programs are good at all things though.

I wanted to mention that the above pictures of geometry was created in another program that cost at around $7000.00 and is no match to the modeling possibilities in Zbrush, unfortunately we need to continue to use this other program in our production for some of it’s other functionalities.
I am very happy with the added tools and abilities that ZBrush gives me to work with. :smiley:

hey whats the name of this 7 thusand dollar software and what are its capabillities?

Troy1617,

I use Artcam.

Artcam can offer very little to the 3d modeling world, because the program is built keeping in mind machines limitations (something that I have to factor when adding or creating a model in Zbrush). The program created 2d objects without any undercuts.

Why I use Zbrush is for the sculpting tools capabilities, I also can render out a part and get a good idea of what will look best before cutting and painting, also my customers can get a realistic look of what the product is going to look like.

I thought of offering a service to others on the forum to have there models cut out on a cnc machine, but my time is limited. Maybe later…

You have 2 sections “S” and “T”
Go to “initialize” for obtain it
For mix round or straight line just “clic a point” and make a “drag” out of the tool set & “drag return” with your mouse (left clic always pressed)
Some numerous and complex volum can be speedy made with this tool :wink:
Ps If you want just some “straight” edges just disable : Smooth H & Smooth V in Menu Tools/ Display Properties :slight_smile:

sweep.jpg

Hi Zealouse,

I have spoken with a few people who are using ArtCAM or Type3 and found them limiting in creating true 3d models. ZBrush can do things ArtCAM or Type3 cannot; however, 3d modeling from scatch in ZBrush is almost as limiting.

ZBrush excels at displacement mapping with an alpha (using the inflat function) for putting lots of 3d textural detail in quickly. Unfortunately the modeling functions are not well suited for creating the overall shape/design when you have many components. The lack of a real world units system is a major limitation for any type of manufactured output, especially since machining works within a blank/material size.

I came across an inexpensive but powerful 3d modeller better suited for this task. Take a look at Hexagon http://www.daz3d.com.

Drop me an email if you wish.

Regards,
Chris

…can make something for you :slight_smile:
And it can export in Obj format :cool:
All splines can be open or closed (as the hexagon)

spline.jpg

Whilst not exactly what you’re after, I’d suggest exploring the Deco brush tool.

Create a texture which has a horizontal white stripe with black top and bottom borders.

Turn Mouse Smooth up a few notches in the Stroke palette.

Use the Deco brush, turn Zadd on, select the square alpha and your new texture, draw a curve.

Press Make polymesh 3D in the tool palette.

Select the new tool and turn up it’s subdiv to about 4 or 5

Select the texture you made and mask the tool by texture intensity

Hide the masked points and make a new polygroup.

Unmask, and store of morph target.

Selectively show the central strip polygroup and apply the inflate deformation to displace it upwards.

Create a difference mesh.

The generated tool is a smooth 3D mesh that conforms with your original stroke.

Note too that strokes may be recorded and recalled.

Have you some images of your process?

The first ZScript I made to show this didn’t want to playback.

The ‘halfway’ script below takes you most of the way. You’ll still need to create the morphdiff however.

I tried to make a more complete script (curvy2.txt) but this fails a little way in. The beginning may be interesting for you frenchy, I know you like pattern generation devices and here is one that results from recording a stroke with the deco brush and replaying it ctrl-1 with the mouse smooth activated. You can imagine what may result especially as the deco brush can be extensively modified. :slight_smile:

The deco brush has some hidden true gem to explore :wink:
I have made a little distortion of your technic without the deco brush :rolleyes:
Here :wink:
Thx again for the research! :cool:

Thank you for all the great idea’s. :smiley:

I’ve been out of town for the last week and just got in. I’ll try out and look into all of your suggestions.