ZBrushCentral

WONDER WOMAN - WIP - C&C welcome!!!

Wonder Woman

wonder_woman_FRONT003.jpg

This is one of my first posts on the ZBrushCentral forums, and I have to say that it’s a bit intimidating with all the awesome work that is posted here by so many talented artists, but if you want to improve, you’ve got to put it out there, right? So here goes:

This is my first attempt at a fully functional animatable character. Base mesh created in Maya, high res details sculpted in ZBrush, textured in Photoshop and put back together in Maya. Rendered with Maya Software.

The whole character, including costume, is only 14,000 polys. I’m using 4 2k texture maps for all textures. My intent is to create a character within acceptable polygon count limits (14,000 might be pushing it, though). The skin shader is the DT3Dskin created by Miguel - a great shader, although I would like to be able to control the strength of my normal maps a bit more (the shader tends to dull them out), but I’m not sure how to do that. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

This is very much a work in progress, and I would really appreciate any comments/constructive criticisms. I plan on working on the hair a bit more (and getting working with the lighting a bit more. Maya hair system’s tend to have too much global illumination for my taste, and I’m still working on getting working with my lighting setup). I also plan on working on the bustier more to add more bump details as well as tone down the center of the bustier where it bumps out a bit much (also, the belt). Currently, I’m only using Normal and Color maps but will also use Spec and Reflective Color maps in future iterations.

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

wonder_woman_BACK003.jpg

Nice start!
But wasn’t she supposed to be really Sexy!? with a nice round butt!?? :smiley:

Keep it up! :slight_smile:

Hey Mike,

Nice work here. This is undoubetly Wonder Woman, so, nice one for a WIP. :slight_smile:

Here’s some 2 cents :

• The moment you’re starting to do a character that already exist, make it real or cartoon, comics, etc, you have the responsability to do a likeness. And that is never easy, whatever character you choose.
    Fortunately, there is tons of reference pics for Wonder woman, so by comparing you model with the pics, I bet you’ll see every point that is not yet okay. Try to put your hands on some “how-to” concerning comics drawing, you may get some front / side view that will be extremely useful too. :slight_smile:

• Zbrush is an excellent organic modeling tool, but getting hard edges is never a fun time. Everything that is metallic, or boots, you may considering get that done in Maya. This way it will be easier and the result will be better, I think.

• Are you cutting your model by materials ? If not, you should think about it : More shaders, more precision.

Otherwise, a 14 k polys for a whole character is a good limit, but it depends of whatever use you want to do with your model at the end. If it’s for stills, nobody will kill you for adding a few polys here and there. :wink:

I’m looking forward to see this one finished soon,

Good luck to ya,

Bye !

thanks for the comments!

weyvin - thanks! I could give her saddle bags. then she would be really sexy:lol:

davlin - thanks for the great comments. I do plan on working on her face a bit more. one of the challenges I’m having is that my shader (DT3dskin by Miguel) dulls out my normal maps. I actually have a lot more detail with the normal maps, but because of the way light hits the normal surface, it gets dulled out. I only have the normal and color maps on this. I think I’ll try a separate displacement map to help push some of the details (especially in the back/scapula area). Another thing I might work on is creating 4k or even 8k maps to capture more detail. I’m really impressed with some of the work I’ve seen recently where people are getting some great facial detail with ZBrush. I’m not sure if that’s just because they have a lot more texture space and are simply taking the time to paint the pores, or there’s some special trick, but I will play with that as well. You’ve also got me thinking that I should create the “W” as a separate piece of geometry to help create a more metallic look compared with the rest of her costume. thanks again for your comments!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I would like to get two things back on the table. :slight_smile:

• Honestly, if I were ya, I would do all the non-organic modeling outside ZBrush. That include the armlaces, torso elements, the forehead part, and the boots. It will be quicker and you’ll get way better results.
    Maybe do the hair outside Z as well ? Max got a plugin for Hair and Fur, that is quite correct. I did the hair on my Richard model with that plugin.

• The face is not the only area where you might want to work on again ( I know, I’m mean ). Check a Mikael Turner picture featuring Wonder Woman and compare with your model. You’ll see my point. :wink:
    Once the figure’s proportions are satisfaying, you’ll make your choice weither you use normal or displacement maps. But right now, I fear it’s a bit early for that.

As for the pores and other microdetails, considering you’re making a whole body, I wonder ( woman, ha ha ) if faking them would not be a good idea ? Making a pain scheme that simulate all those details. But we’ll talk about that later.

I’m looking forward your next pics ! Good luck to ya,

D.

Davlin,

Thanks for the comments. So, you’re saying she should be sexier?:wink: I’m actually familiar with Michael Turner’s work, and I have to agree with you. I was going for a sort of Lynda Carter variation without relying on any one particular reference (didn’t want to look derivative), but I’ll do some research and re-think some of the proportions.

The tiara, bracelets, and belt were modeled in Maya, while the boots were modeled in ZBrush to get the folds around the ankle (hard to see I know from the front and back angles). I agree that I’ll get better results modeling non-organic forms in Maya.

Again, thanks for your comments. I think I’ll take some time to re-think this approach. I’m also working on two other characters. I’ll keep you posted when I’ve got some more work to show.

thanks again,
Mike