ZBrushCentral

ILM Interview - Dead Man's Chest

[attach=38797]ilm-pirates.jpg[/attach]

One of the hottest movies of the summer – indeed, of all time – was “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”, the spectacular continuation of Jack Sparrow’s swashbuckling adventures as he faces off against the notorious Davey Jones. Not only did this film set box office records, but it also broke new ground in digital special effects with Davey and every member of his crew being created digitally. The believability of these characters raises the bar for computer graphics, and ZBrush starred as a key player in their creation.

The folks at ILM recently set aside some time to talk with us about how ZBrush was used in the making of the film, and we’ve posted it on the Pixologic website. It’s quite a read, and we’d like to encourage everyone to check it out!

Click Here

Attachments

ilm-pirates.jpg

WOW, thanks sooooooo much for the high res pics!!! THAT is some great study material. AND gratulations to the Pixol’s! Must be a great feeling to have your product being used in such a mega movie!

Lemo :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Excellent feature. Very interesting read

Been wating for ths. Cool article :slight_smile: :+1: :+1:

Pretty darned cool, and a great endorsement for ZB.

That´s Great! thanks Aurick! gonna check it right now!

The digital prosthetics were outstanding (mind boggling!), as was the character design… and so much more.

Very exciting stuff

And I’m proud of owning (!) such a wonderful tool…sigh… :cool:

Yainderidoo

“able to break Davy Jones into multiple partitions, bring the desired section of mesh into ZBrush, and create a detailed displacement map for each portion”

So does this mean they were getting around the polycount limit for like say the head, and actually cutting it up into multiple pieces, if so I wonder how they were lining all the seams and stuff up, pretty cool, sounds like that is some inhouse code they have to handle that and woudnt be available as an option for us :frowning:

Marvel’d in all the glory created !

as always the Pixologic crew rocks! more than the products themselves,uv got some really powerfull commuinicative talents!
the interview was totally usefull…
of course i think the image above the first post is not hyper linked correctly.
thx
aLi

great! Thanks so much