ZBrushCentral

Anubis

I’ve wanted to do a stylized Anubis for a while now, so finally got some time these last few days to get it started. I still need to do some overall tweaking, but it gives the idea. Hope you like it so far.

Anubis_ConceptArt.jpg

Attachments

Anubis_ModelingWIP_a.jpg

Anubis_ModelingWIP_c.jpg

Anubis_ModelingWIP_d.jpg

Oops… pictures didn’t insert last post.

WOW! i like the bold style, nice work!

The older brother of Bas Bird Man!!!
Cool!
Lemo

Very cool. Looks more imposing than the usual Anubis definitely.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Totally agree Lem

PS: Cool design and love the concept art

Thanks everyone for the comments. As someone with limited professional experience trying to enter 3D as a career, feedback, crits, and comments are much appreciated and often very helpful. I’ll have some updates of Anubis in another day or two here.

Lemonnado/Illusion Digital - :+1: I love Bas BirdMan. Cheers!

…maybe you can put webfooted foots :wink:

Hi Everyone, Thanks again for the feedback. As promised, here is an update with some of the armour in place. Not everything is as is should be quite yet, but it is getting there… hoping to be ready to start texturing this weekend. Could really use more feedback from everyone willing to give it. Thank you.

Hey! This is lookin’ great!

Only thing I can see that might need work is in the legs. They look like they are muscular, but there needs to be a bit more definition of muscles.

I love the overall design. Texture that baby up and wow us!

A small update here. High frequency details and final definitions completed. I’m about half way through the other maps and should be able to have a finished product my next weekend (pending work demands). Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Anubis_Grey_1680x1050.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update with most of the texturing now completed. This week I plan to rig and pose him with his weapon and give some environment. Then it’s just down to a little post work. Hope you like the progress. Thanks

Kick ass but now with the texture applied he looks more humoruos than scary?jao,regards cal

Overall a great character concept. Texturing and rendering unfortunately take away from teh great work. :wink:

Thanks Calum5zb and Jason for the feedback. I think with your advice, I’ll re-visit the texture to try for a more, been dead forever kinda look. The more I look at the textures, it’s starting to look less like the Lord of the Dead and more like Scooby Doo’s cousin. Well back to the drawing board. I’ll post again in a few days. Probably after the weekend. Cheers.

this is just fantastic.

his face is a little cute thou :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :slight_smile:

cool model & design adam. be great in a game! texture-wise i think it’s just the teeth are too clean and the gums maybe are too pink (or clean maybe). but i don’t think that’s what is giving him a more friendly look. if you compare your original concept to your end model, it looks like his head is further forward and lower in the concept. also his eyes are slanted the opposite direction. this might be partly the texture. an angry expression typically has the brows pinched downward in the middle where they are up for a happier expression. same with the ears. sorry - that sounds like a bit of rework at this stage! but hope it helps…

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback so far. Here is an update on the textures and I suspect I’ll have him rigged & possed with weapon in hand and mounted to a base in the next week here. Any other thoughts from anyone? Cheers.

was it textured in Z?

Might I suggest a tonal change from front/underside to back/topside as many ‘dogs’ are, well most animals. It’s what makes them look natural. I would also darkern him, it will make him sinsiter, he has that cute puppy look like a Golden Retriever. These are just design suggestions to keep in your mind. If the observer sees things they do not immeadiately accept, you have missed the mark with your design. It is a very hard thing and in fact doesn’t really get easier over time. I believe you mentioned this was for a game, so my other idea probably won’t work but…

If you start here at post 268, and follow a bit, you can see some ideas that might work to enhance your fella a bit.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=259996#post259996

and here is a different style…

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showpost.php?p=236979&postcount=81

Not sure that this will be of any use if your fella is a game character.