ZBrushCentral

Orc Voodoo Priest: WIP thread

Here’s something I did for the Blizzard contest, but I didn’t actually enter…I tried to submit about 5 minutes before deadline but the submission tool was taking forever…so…no submission. No worries, it’s not done yet anyway, which is why I waited till the last minute to submit. :wink:

The entire thing makes heavy use of Max Sub-D modeling, ZBrush with 16-bit displacement maps rendered in MAX (scanline), some normal mapping on top of displacements (the voodoo mask), Deep Paint and UV Layout (from Headus).

I still plan to finish this scene as I intended…there’ll be a throne, foliage, fur on the gloves and perhaps some other areas, and nicer rendering with GI and all that good schtuff. C&C welcome.

I’ll post more renders soon (including more angles).

[attach=40524]Orc_VoodooPriest.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Orc_VoodooPriest.jpg

Hey nice work!
also contest is still going til 11:59PM PDT on Wednesday, September 20, 2006. because of problem you had.

Thank ya…and I’m glad they extended the contest deadline! :+1: It was such a bummer to not be able to submit. Even though I’m not totally done I wanted to at least put this older render in while I built set pieces and extra detail I had planned. More on the way…

Update…still working on it. Here’s an in-progress render.

It’s got a long way to go…I plan to add some foliage, including some kind of creeping vine on the throne as well vegetation off to the side to frame everything. The throne was really thrown together quickly…gotta give that some more love. The staff is being completely reworked since it’s basically a meshsmoothed stick with a standard material on it. :wink: The new staff is a gnarly branch a la Z.

I have to do some more lighting passes to get the right balance coz it’s feeling really murky now…but since I’m adding torches to either side of the throne that will change anyway…and ya know I am still learning VRAY. :wink:

Alrighty…here tis…more to come. I’ve got big plans for this piece and I’m not stoppin’ till I’m done! :lol:

Half-Orc_VoodooPriest.jpg

Updated with VRAY rendering and some new elements.

Still to come: Updated staff held in right hand with cool ornamentation, small modeled details, foliage or creeping vines on back wall/throne, final flooring and a pet or two. Those skulls you see on the dias are just spare parts which I will probably use elsewhere in the scene.

Half-Orc_VoodooPriest_924.jpg

i like the character alot but i feal the chair and wall let him down a bit just my thoughts.

Hiya Gav…

Glad ye like the Orc…he’s gonna get another pass before I call this final, but right now I am working on fleshing out the whole image.

I agree with you about the wall and throne…the wall’s going to get some creeping vines coming down and other objects in the foreground will probably cover a few parts…and at that point I’ll go back and adjust the shininess, bump, etc.

The throne is carved stone…but I may make some adjustments to it…I have another idea I want to explore with the throne…something more tribal. :slight_smile:

Really like the character. The only thing I could think of would be use bamboo and wood versus the rock wall. Like a hut or even an outdoor setting around a fire.

Regardless, it’s a great piece of work.

I like this concept alot. Cheers!

Tom Hey thanks for the ideas…I like where you’re going with them and I am actually rebuilding the throne to reflect his Orciness a bit more…plus the set will reinforce both the Orc’s heritage and his Voodoo ways.

Adam Thanks! Come back if you like for more updates…lots more details to come before this thing is final.

Thanks to all who’re taking time to check out this thread. :+1:

Reign in Blood…(as Slayer would say) Spatter the rock wall with it. Like it funnels down and around the throne. :o :eek:

good luck with the contest.
i would change the wall and chair thou

Tom…good ideas…I will be definitely making clear his role of Voodoo Priest…that chicken blood gets all over the place! :wink:

Doron…how would you change the wall and chair? By the bye, I do have big plans for the chair…I’m adding a lot more interesting elements to it and the wall will get some attention too. :slight_smile: