ZBrushCentral

RhinoMan

Here is a model I’m starting. It’s based off a concept sketch on found doing a google search. I forgot the artists name but thought it was cool and I want to model it. I started the base mesh in Lightwave and I’ll finish the modeling in ZBrush. I’m pretty much all set with the base but the ears do look right to me. Any thoughts on them? RhinoRef.jpg

Attachments

RhinoMan_Base.jpg

Nice start on the modeling. Don’t make the ears too thin to start with, or they’ll become almost impossible to control once you hit the sub-d button.

Forgive me for saying so, but that’s an awesome sketch and it does seem a discourtesy to the artist to just say you’ve forgotten his/her name … get back on Google and bloomin’ well find it! (said jokingly, but meant seriously).

Nice start

I believe that’s Arturo’s work, great artist in the real clay aswell as this new Digital Zclay

I made the ears a little smaller. I think they were to big.

good start. :+1: :+1: :+1:
can you show us the topology?

I remember the name of the artist, Tristan Schane. You should check out the site - www.tristanschane.com - some cool concept art

Ahh … glad I pushed you for the artist’s name. ZBrush would be perfect for him (see the sculptures on his site). Thanks.

Here is an update. Just roughing in the features. Once thats good, I’ll start adding more defined details.

looking good

but, no, that is not Tristans work…that IS Arturo’s.
http://dharmaestudio.foliosnap.com/

giving the artist who did the design work for something you are doing, or even baseing off of is very important.

he posts on here quite a bit.

again, good work.

Hey your right, my bad. I thought it was the other guys.

Hey, I’d like your opinions on the forehead horn. I’m not feeling the big horn on the forehead. I like it without or maybe a small one. Some of the reference pics I’m using have either one horn or a big horn then small one. What do you guys think?

RhinoReference.jpg

Attachments

Rhino_2Horn.jpg

Rhino_1Horn.jpg

Hey good wip!
you faund a good photos reference for your model!
Do you think to use a rino texture and bump for it?
Have a good job!! :+1: :smiley:

I’d do it the other way around. Big horn on the nose, then small horn on the forehead. like a real rhino, the big horn is in front.

No, on second thought, I wouldn’t. But keep the horn on the forehead, looks nicer. Although I would make the base wider…

cool, can’t wait to see the finished product!

Its coming along.

Nice to see you actually gave the real artist his due. You may even want to send him a link to let him know. He may dig the idea.

I would make his horns wider when looking at the front angle. they look good from the side but from the front they look really skinny and pinched.

Horns are cone shaped… and they are cylindrical/circular at the bottom. Not narrow.

nose more large ?

Here is an update. I added a horn to the forehead which I like and finished roughing in all the muscle and tissue on the face. I’ve upped the model to almost 2 million polys and will start using projection master to create the skin folds, wrinkles and finalizing the forms.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

this is beginning to look cool. Id like to see it fully textured etc

this annoys me your even doing this. I think your should of found out the artist first, asked him if it would be ok. if so, then start and show. but all you have shown is you dont care what the artist thinks and it shows you cant come up with an original design. I hate when you 3d artists do this, even if the original artist agrees with it.

i agree with deity. ontop of artistic recognition, getting permission from the artist is just as important. the odds of getting in touch with the original designer could have turned into a dead end, i wouldn’t be surprised, but there would be no harm in trying. still, this isn’t an animation studio where you just take someone’s concept and model it. most modelers are concept artists as well as texture artists. to take someone elses work without permission and reference the artist in a nonchalant fashion is obsured! other people in this post have had to correct you and all you can say is, oh my bad. let’s say that you tried to get in touch with the artist, but couldn’t. you should have immediatley referenced the correct artist and made a new design expanding from the artists original design. you could then give him credit for being your inspiration. what you are doing now is not inspiring, it’s just lazy.