ZBrushCentral

Hand_In_Progress

I was doing this hand to really start something really simple and make it look good. I feel like this hand is lacking something and I know the geometry is a little off. So please tell me how I can make this look better and an actual portfolio piece. If you see this thread, please spend the extra 2 min. to write a critique, you can even say it sucks, just let me know why and how to get better. I just want to be like all the other great artists in this forum. Thanks.

[[attach=41457]Hand_WIP.jpg[/attach]]Hand_WIP.jpg

You’ve got a great start there.

I did a quick drawover noting the things that I noticed could use work:

[attach=41818]handdrawoverjs4.jpg[/attach]

Keep it up!

Attachments

handdrawoverjs4.jpg

I went back and reshaped the hand and added more volume to it. Let me know what you think and what I should do to finish it. :wink:

[Revising_Hand.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘41459’,‘Revising_Hand.jpg’,1,0))

that shaping is beautiful now

dude, form is absolutely in wrong way… try to search some hand tutorials and look at ‘your hand’ a lot :slight_smile: it will differ for sure…

hmmm… that last comment was rediculasly wrong, you have a great start for a hand here, looking at tutorials would be a waste of time.
the main problem i see with your hand is that it is rather flat and has dips and dents in places which are not anatomically correct, keep working on this one and i think it will be nice when finished

The first thing that comes to mind is the massive cavity on the top of the wrist that shouldn’t be there. Otherwise good.

looking to tutorials are never waste of time… every ‘correct’ practise adds more expreience. ok this is not the place to discuss about it.

So my advice is observe the forms and propotions of the ‘hand’ object so try to rebuild a new structure. Using reference images will help too :slight_smile:

This shows the most basic errors we all make in creating. The consensus amongst experienced artists, no matter whether it’s sculpture, drawing, or painting, is to start with getting the masses right. Work Macro to Micro. Don’t be in a rush to create detail. Create form, first! Work so that the larger masses are properly proportioned and correctly related. Use Reference, life observation.

Stop and breath every time you feel the urge to get into those neat lines and cavities. Make your focus be the structure… UNTIL you can SEE your overall masses are correct.

Then work the detail. You’ll work faster, and your work will improve VASTLY!

In painting this is accomplished by working with a large brush that you’re not comfortable with, and that will prevent you from painting detail while working the mass. Try that with your tools in ZBush. Large brush sizes to get mass, small for detail.

Happy Zbrushing!

looks a bit like the hand rolled a J because of the green vinger nails :slight_smile:
gl with the hand.

I agree with phudgey,

The peices are pretty close, but as a whole it looks very flat.

relax your hand and you’ll see the base thumb joint is almost 90 degrees to the hand. If you keep your hand entirely relaxed and look at you fingers side on the whole thumb hangs far below.

The back of the hand is an arc and natuarally cups. Bend the fingers a little, it helps.

Model the basic shape at the lowest SubD until its right then move up. Remember the hand is more round than flat.

Good start… I think thats why you recieved many replies:)

i would give some volume to the wrist and upwrad. also the nails could use some work, they are not just circle in the skin, the flash around them comes in diffrent hights.

The real problem I have with the hand is the shader in the first image. It looks too metalic :wink: No worries, the above suggestions are awesome, spend time sculpting/ and then looking down at your hand, photo references are weak when you have two of the object yourself! Keep it up, Great learning going on here.

-Colin

Everyone I just want to say a sincere thank you for giving me feedback and critiquing my work. I believe this is the first piece of work I have put out on this forum that has received this much feedback, other than my creature bug model. Hopefully my work shows progression from my first model to my most current one, one of the problems with many of the models I did was, I had never used zbrush and was learning the software while trying to accomplish sophisticated models. I believe I should have tried to really induldge in the software and how to use it properly first. This is one of the things I am doing currently, especially for my CGT graduation project on zbrush. In addition to that my models always lack correct form because I love detailing but the general consensus is you must have a good base foundation or no matter what texture or detail it has it will be wrong, which is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! So I appreciate all the feedback from 3Dean, tinkerbell, Keremcam, phudgey, Nii, willbrown1, joep, coye, doron, MoonDoggie. I promise to update this hand when I get the chance,I am a bit busy with another model right now, but I will get back to it, I just sometimes have to take breaks from certain models when i work extensively on them in one day or so.