Senior Member Follow User Gallery

hey monstermaker i am not sure if you remember me. but I met you at the last zbrush user group meeting I was the one who I told my brother that I met you and her freaking damn near pissed his pants. I must be honest iI didnt know the extent of your career when I met you. I just knew you made some bad ass **** back in the day but I didnt know the extent of it. Anyways long story short I was wondering if I could ask you a favor. My younger brother is a huge huge fan of Werewolf the tv show has bootlegs of the old show and everything.
    Even to this day he goes on about how amazing that monster looked.I was wondering if you wouldnt mind maybe posting some pictures of that old stuff.I am sorry for being rude I know zbrush central probably isnt the time and place for such a request.But as long as you are showing old cool stuff from the past and considering the time of year i was hoping you wouldnt mind.

I think he looks kinda of like Shrek too or should I say Shrek looks like him as I designed this 20 years before Shrek came out, and as a matter of fact the guy who designed Shrek worked for me 20 years ago at the time I did the animatronic version of this guy. MM

Hi RIck,

Man that's a bit mean, trying to take someone else's credit like that. All the people who worked with you brought their own talents into studios like yours. The studio takes the credit while they work there but you should let go once they move on. Heck, now we may get people accusing you of stealing their creations while they were working for you!

Saddned to hear this from such a great man.

TD

From Studio City, Calif. Currently in sunny Prague!

Trapdoor,

Easy big fella,

I don't think he meant it that way at all. It certainly didn't sound that way to me.
    I think it was just a innocent comment on simularity, which is mild and distant...actually.
    He was only commenting on the timeline of which came first. That how I read it.

Easy goes it...

Brilliant texturing and rendering Rick - Great!
    Ears and fingers look a little too 'human' and the flaps(webbing?) between the fingers could be flattened quite a bit; but Gorgeous character

Ah! there's Brian also two 'monster-makers' on one thread hehe!

Chris B

Gee trapdoor,sorry if it sounded like I was trying to take credit away from the guy who designed Shrek. godlike 27 said that it reminded him of Shrek. I was just trying to point out that I did this guy originally 20 years before Shrek came out. Yes it is true that many times in a big make-up effects company many artists contribute to a design. that wasn't the case with this character's head. It was a personal project that I designed and did the sculpture myself. Yes there are some similarities but there are also lots of differences. I find that many times people have to compare a design to something that they know,they have to put a name on it. I remember going to a Halloween party as a werewolf the year that Planet of the Apes came out. I can't tell you how many people came up to me and said cool Planet of the Apes make-up. Anyways ,I was not trying to take any credit away from what I think is a wonderful design,and I'm sorry that it read that way to you.

Hi Rick,

You know, it still sounds as if you are sticking to what you said in your original post. This industry, not you personally, is full of people trying to take other peoples credit - that's where I am coming from and it sucks.

TD

enough said on that and edited. Once again MM great piece of work

Last edited by Tartan; 10-21-06 at 07:43 AM.

Hi Tarten,

The last thing that I want to do is to attack anyone on a personal level and I said that in my last post. I have nothing but respect for good work and Rick's stuff is way up there. I dont know Rick on a personal level, only his work. I am not a giant in this industry and therefor it is easy to sweep my comments under the rug.The point I am making is that if I tried to claim that I came up a character similar to Shrek or Micky Mouse way before the people credited with the design, then I would be laughed out of court - especially if it was 20 or 50 years after the fact. On the other hand if a big studio decided to do the same then it appears to have a lot more clout to be taken seriously. These problems are not just in the movie industry - it's everywhere how do you take on the like of Microsoft or IBM when they decide something was theirs?

Peace to All,

TD

Please continue your dispute via PM if necessary. Others try to enjoy the thread. Stay on topic please.
    Lemo

I'm with Lemo, stay on topic!! (plus I have seen the 20 year old pictures,proof)

From Studio City, Calif. Currently in sunny Prague!

Now that that's finished...(thanks Lemo and Scott), and we're back...

Hi Rick, it's been a long time since I've seen you , hope all is well.
    I have a genuine question...or two.

As I mentioned before, great work. I am a bit troll1sweet spots.jpg curious, is this the same model you posted previously? It seems a little bit, (tamer?), if that is the right word for it.

Here it is again, with all the sweet-spots highlighted.
    Q:1). Did you use the "Deco" brush and just hand "snoodle" all the cool little details?

Q:2). For some of the pores, did you make different custom alphas and overlap them with varying degrees of zsub intensity? (Looks real).

(Oh, and how did you do the motion blur on your montage, in
    Lightwave?)

I'd appreciate any feedback. Great work.

"Happy Halloween from Prague"
    ~BW

Hey Rick you are terrible. A monster for sure. This is great, but can you upload your animation???

A great work as usual.

If Rick has a movie he would like to share then I can host it for a few weeks.
    I like that fellow. He has quite a bandwidth as character. Creepy, funny, sweet, horrible. I can see animators going nuts with that foundation.
    Cheers
    Lemo

Default Rick Baker?

hi,i must say this is a freakin cool character with freakin cool expressions
    and i dont know who rick baker is except from this forum where he post
    inspiring pieces of work,thanks man

ps i drew a character similar to shrek and your one when i was five
    .so where do i collect {these dam satelites}

Hey Rick!

Beautiful art work as always. Very inspiring too!
    Have a nice day!

Javier Loredo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast