ZBrushCentral

Return of the 80's Troll

Hi I started a thread a long time ago making a model of this troll character that I designed back in the 80’s, probably before most of you were born, I had trouble with the model doing weird stuff when I saved it so I stopped. Well I figured out what the trouble was ,thanks Matthew, and started playing with it again. It is far from finished at this point I haven’t even done the displacement for it yet. I did a quick animation in LWV9 to see if the UV, color,morph and bump maps worked. Here are a few frames from the animation I thought you might get a kick out of. Since it’s just about Halloween I thought I should post something. I used ZB to re-sculpt the base mesh and to create the color and bump maps.

Man, that looks really good.

P.s. At that time I was about 4-13…getting scared by the Gremlins;)

great job!!!
Looks like a congressman in my area.
Cool how you laid it on Matthew in case nobody like it:D

Haha cool! Kinda looks like Shrek (hope you don’t mind the comparison).

I like him! Got 'tude!! :wink:

bicc39, I wasn’t trying to lay anything on Matthew. He figured out what my problem was and helped me out greatly.
godlike27, I think he looks kinda of like Shrek too or should I say Shrek looks like him as I designed this 20 years before Shrek came out, and as a matter of fact the guy who designed Shrek worked for me 20 years ago at the time I did the animatronic version of this guy.

Not what I was expecting! I was thinking of those trolls with the colorful hair that stuck up! And they could always be put on a pencil for some odd reason.

Yes I should have said Shrek looks like him.
By the way monstermaker, in Boston I bought a book “Inside Men In Black” (Brad Munson) there are some nice images by you, are they all Photoshop? (The Lost Aliens of Rick Baker).

Glad to see you are bringing him back! Outstanding!!

love the expressions, the skin and also the character.
Monstermaker=Mastermaker!
Thanks for this!
Andreseloy

Hey Monstermaker, Great post! Nice range of expression, and a little motion blur too! How’d you do that???

Last one one the bottom right has a hint of “London after Midnight” to it, which is cool!
Great to see you kept working on this guy:D

I remember the original sculpt by the way, and it was one of my favorites back in the day:+1: I was looking at the unfinished version a while back and wondering why you never finished him. Glad to see him done, and thensome.

Very cool that you’ve kept pusing forward, and reached the point where you can animate your charactor. That’s where the real fun begins, I would think:)

You continue to inspire…

~B.W.

I like him, much soul in his face.

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf

amazing Rick!
Alex Oliver

Hey MM,

Yah he and Shrek are cousins! But I think I can assure you that yours is his own man errrr ogre. Wonderful range of expression here:+1: BTW there are more of us older farts hanging around here than you might expect! Someone light a match :smiley: I would like to see him in a scene of some kind but will content myself with the warmth and feeling this character inspires. He is a lot more friendly looking than my old Ogre Shadowknight in Everquest. 5 stars… damn that must get redundant :laughing:

Hmmm, the 80’s, old enough to remember. What about the 60’s, no computers and 3D-software, sculpting with sand or clay :slight_smile: I remember the smell of our radio and TV and the black ink we had to write with. Also the teacher who was looking like your troll, realy he did. We called him mr. Porc, because of his nose. Following that holes we could see what he was thinking.

hey monstermaker i am not sure if you remember me. but I met you at the last zbrush user group meeting I was the one who I told my brother that I met you and her freaking damn near pissed his pants. I must be honest iI didnt know the extent of your career when I met you. I just knew you made some bad ass **** back in the day but I didnt know the extent of it. Anyways long story short I was wondering if I could ask you a favor. My younger brother is a huge huge fan of Werewolf the tv show has bootlegs of the old show and everything.
Even to this day he goes on about how amazing that monster looked.I was wondering if you wouldnt mind maybe posting some pictures of that old stuff.I am sorry for being rude I know zbrush central probably isnt the time and place for such a request.But as long as you are showing old cool stuff from the past and considering the time of year i was hoping you wouldnt mind.

I think he looks kinda of like Shrek too or should I say Shrek looks like him as I designed this 20 years before Shrek came out, and as a matter of fact the guy who designed Shrek worked for me 20 years ago at the time I did the animatronic version of this guy. MM

Hi RIck,

Man that’s a bit mean, trying to take someone else’s credit like that. All the people who worked with you brought their own talents into studios like yours. The studio takes the credit while they work there but you should let go once they move on. Heck, now we may get people accusing you of stealing their creations while they were working for you!

Saddned to hear this from such a great man.

TD

Trapdoor,

Easy big fella,

I don’t think he meant it that way at all. It certainly didn’t sound that way to me.
I think it was just a innocent comment on simularity, which is mild and distant…actually.
He was only commenting on the timeline of which came first. That how I read it.

Easy goes it…

Brilliant texturing and rendering Rick - Great!
Ears and fingers look a little too ‘human’ and the flaps(webbing?) between the fingers could be flattened quite a bit; but Gorgeous character :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Ah! there’s Brian also :wink: two ‘monster-makers’ on one thread :wink: hehe!

Chris B

Gee trapdoor,sorry if it sounded like I was trying to take credit away from the guy who designed Shrek. godlike 27 said that it reminded him of Shrek. I was just trying to point out that I did this guy originally 20 years before Shrek came out. Yes it is true that many times in a big make-up effects company many artists contribute to a design. that wasn’t the case with this character’s head. It was a personal project that I designed and did the sculpture myself. Yes there are some similarities but there are also lots of differences. I find that many times people have to compare a design to something that they know,they have to put a name on it. I remember going to a Halloween party as a werewolf the year that Planet of the Apes came out. I can’t tell you how many people came up to me and said cool Planet of the Apes make-up. Anyways ,I was not trying to take any credit away from what I think is a wonderful design,and I’m sorry that it read that way to you.