New Member Follow User Gallery

i'm quite new at this, so sorry for my newbishness. -but how did you get the crevases darker (like theres dirt rubbed in) in that last render?

Senior Member Follow User Gallery
    The 'Internet' baby! What wonderful scenery! And the realestate is still cheap...

Well we can now see everything - nnniiiiiccccceeeeeeee!

More!
    Jason Belec
    Kiss Your Sister Studios... YEAUCH

Eternal Zsphere thread : 'Origins' begins... : Liquid Maya

Jason can be reached at Cowboy Feng's Spacebar and Grill. If you know where it is, you are indeed privileged. It's your round.

'Obey me! I am ROOT!'

There we go, now I can see everything. Some things that I think could use work:

More variation in the pore sizes and shapes. Maybe even a smaller dots in certain areas might help. Its a bit too even now.

The bones on the cheek are kind of hard to read and maybe could be a bit more substantial and curved.

If you have XSi, Maya, Modo, Lightwave and etc you should try rendering him in that. I think he would really benefit from perspective and area lights. You could also use Blender if you do not have these programs, its free after all.

For lighting as well, 3 or 2 point lighting might work really well. Whatever the main source of light is that should be where the only shadows come from. The other lights you can turn off the shadows! This will hide the fact that there are more than 1 light in the scene by only having one shadow cast from the character's face. Colored lighting might be nice too. Cold colors I would think, although perhaps a warm rim light might provide a nice contrast.

From Studio City, Calif. Currently in sunny Prague!

Default Demon Devil Dude - New materials and lights.

Guys,
    Jason:Thanks for the support. Does the render look about right?
    Womball: I will keep going. I have Modo, but have no clue whatsoever about it, at I have been focusing entirely on Zbrush.
    Is their a thread or tutorial about rendering in Modo somewher around here??
    Indigo: I think that effect yourtalking about happened when I turned on Shadows in the Render Pallatt. (I could be wrong though)

Cheers Guys, I will try some new lights and materials.
    ~B.W.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussio....aspx?id=12041

This has some links on it. I think even video tutorials, which are probably the best way to learn. :-) I'm sure there are lots of other resources on those forums as well.

The 'Internet' baby! What wonderful scenery! And the realestate is still cheap...

I think it looks OK, which light did you use? I like mine, I found Pixolator's to be a little over the top. Shadows ON should be fine, the main issue may be the full on side shot. I usually post a front/back/side, but always have a cool angled shot to give a sense of features. Using other apps are cool if your up on a specific favorite, and by all means learn all you can. Best advice for that is pick 1, set up a basic scene and good 3 point lighting and choose a decent material or mod one of the defaults. Then pull all your work in to that scene, test render and then mess around as you see fit. Keep the master scene though, it will always give you a base to start from.

In my case I have lots of shaders borrowed/written/modded that I can slap on in Maya with Liquid and test under Pixie. Of course since I've done so much of that I can usually do what I need in Zbrush, but it's nice to goto other apps that handle pixel depth issues better.

The way is long and twisted, with plenty of disturbing eye candy, and the fruit never seem as tasty as it appeared.
    Jason Belec
    Kiss Your Sister Studios... YEAUCH

Eternal Zsphere thread : 'Origins' begins... : Liquid Maya

Jason can be reached at Cowboy Feng's Spacebar and Grill. If you know where it is, you are indeed privileged. It's your round.

'Obey me! I am ROOT!'

Don't mess with displacement maps and normals maps if you can avoid it. If your program can handle tons of polys without that much slowdown just bring in the full mesh! Displacement and normals maps are generally a pain to set up in most programs.

[font=Verdana','sans-serif]JASON:[/font] Funny that you like it, I used yours. I guess your eye is accustomed to your own tastes. I appreciate the heads up on the next steps, and suggestions in the rendering process. (So very, very, much more to learn for me,) But, I have come this far, and I didn't go insane....yet. Thanks for the in-depth help. Shows the true spirit of this forum to a "T"! Thanx Jason.

[font=Verdana','sans-serif]WOMBAL:[/font] Thanks also for the links. Ok,...I will take you at your word with the suggestion about displacements and normal maps. I appreciate the support, and camaraderie as well from you. Great guys, all of you.

[font=Verdana','sans-serif]NOTE:[/font]I have [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Maya[/font], [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Lightwave[/font], and [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Modo[/font]. But.... know next to nothing about any of them. Been so caught up with [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Zbrush [/font]and trying to wrap my head around it all. [font=Verdana','sans-serif]REMEMBER, I AM NOT A CG GUY BY TRADE.[/font] Do either of you or anyone else for that matter, have a preference to recommend? For rendering...I suppose everyone has their own preferences?So many choices...right? Hey, and is [font=Verdana','sans-serif]XSI[/font] any better than any of the others?

Ok, it’s 1:45 am here in beautiful Prague. Signing off for the night....but anxiously await any further advice by those in the know.

Will post and reply to all in the AM. "Nity-nite" y'all.

Default Demon Devil Dude - Materials and lights-V.3

Here is a close up with an interisting material supplied by Artwookie. (Thanks)
    ~BWB.Wade Demon V.4 close up.jpg

They can all do the same thing. Yet somewhat differently. It all depends on the interface and how quickly you can learn it. I think XSI has a very clean interface and generally makes sense. But this might not be the case for you. I also think this about Blender, and a lot of people are turned off by Blender. Lightwave is similar to Modo I hear. Modo was developed by ex-Lightwave deleloper I believe.

Womball,

Thanks for the overview. It seems like it is a matter of taste that can only be found by trying a program and comparing it to another. Nice anatomy models on your thread, by the way. I think I saw a video on a thread of some guy demo-ing an anatomy software that was kind of interisting. Maybe it was on your thread. Cheers again mate.
    ~BW~

I agree with previous postings, this is a great transition from "real world" sculpts to 3D. You have retained the quality from the original

TD
    Last edited by TrapDoor; 10-22-06 at 06:21 AM. Reason: text color

TD,Thanks, really.

[font='Verdana','sans-serif']To all, I have spent most of today, Sunday here, trying to familiarize myself with Maya, and Mental ray. [/font]
    [font='Verdana','sans-serif']I am having difficulty importing larger models into Maya. Any tips?[/font]
    [font='Verdana','sans-serif'][/font]
    [font='Verdana','sans-serif']I know there’s a thread here somewhere with some info on the process, any links, advice, suggestions, material and light stuff, c and c's are truly appreciated.[/font]
    [font='Verdana','sans-serif'][/font]
    [font='Verdana','sans-serif']~BW[/font]

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php

They have a lot of tutorials that you can view free, but you have to register there. Very clear and precise too.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/educ...ion/guides.php

And with maya you will need to use displacement maps and normal maps to bring your model in. You use the lowest or second to lowest(might be easier for you) and create your displacement map at that level in zbrush. You will need to use guv tiles as well to set up to export the displacement and normal maps. Also you will have to color in zbrush and use zapplink using this method because the guv tiles are hard to read as texture maps for a person. The programs seem to be okay with it though.

Womball,

Howly-cow!!! All that for a darn render???
    Is it easier to import large models in Lightwave or Modo, or SXI, or any other program for that matter???

Basically, is their any program that will just import the model, regardless of it's size????? Or is this all old news??

~BW~

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast