ZBrushCentral

Demon Devil Dude

Ok, here goes…first post!

I am not a CG guy, just an artist who loves sculpting and monsters!
Teaching myself Zbrush, with a little help from some great Zamigos,
Marcus Civis, Ncollings, and Artwooki, thanks guys for your help.

What a great community, thanks everyone, and what an amzing program!
This is based off an old sculpt of mine.

Still quite a bit of work to do, but Open to C and C:smiley:
B.WADE DEMON 1.75.jpg

Attachments

WADE DEMON CLOSE UP.JPG

Here is the original sculpt.
Open to suggestions on coloring this model, as I see their are several ways to go.
Any suggestions or preferred methods you might recommend??

B.Wade Original sculpt1.jpg

Pretty cool so far. A lot of the details are realy well done. The lighting/matrial makes it hard to see clearly. I would suggest strating with similar colouring that is on your sculpt image. Build from that. :wink:

Thanks Jason,

I appreciate the direction.

I love this guy, Brian… Everthing from your ‘real-world’ modelling now starts to shine through to startling effect as expected-
You’ve certainly acquainted yourself very well now with ZB - great stuff :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

PMM’ed you again :wink:

Chris

The head looks really cool. Two (thumbs) up

“Suggestions for colouring?”: I myself when I create a character be it a drawing, 3D model or painting always create a ‘short story’ as you will for it. Imagining the place they would be found, what type of world and life do they come from and live? What is their environment?
Your creature is demon like, most people believe to come from some sort of hell. What is hell in your mind? What types of rocks, plants, and liquids would you find in such a place. Is the character a hunter, gatherer, slave, lord? I would then grab colours that influance his environment and incorparate them to the characters make-up.

Sorry for no direct colours or colour ideas but I thought maybe the way I like to plan out my colours may give you a different approach. Keep of the great work

It looks good so far. I would like a side view from somewhat of a distance. Its hard to see all of the forms right now.

Excellent start my friend. Very impressive for someone who is “not a 3d guy.” I guess the transition from clay to mouse and keyboard wasn’t that hard. I’d try a two toned approach on his skin, like Pierre Bourgeot’s Oolox. http://www.pierrebourgeot.com/site/view_gallery.htm?a=oolox
Also, the lighting feels to strong. It’s washing out the models form. I can’t wait to see more.

Looking good! A really great first post. :+1: I’d love to see a render with GI shadows to bring out the depth. I shall look forward to seeing what you do with it.

That’s a great start for someone who is “not a 3d guy”. I guess the transition from clay to keyboard and mouse wasn’t that hard. I’d make the skin two toned, something like Pierre Bourgeot’s Oolox. http://www.pierrebourgeot.com/site/view_gallery.htm?a=oolox
It really helps to make it feel less human and more beast. Also, the bright lighting is washing out the form of the model. I’d turn it down a notch. Can’t wait to see more.

Hi MM, great model man. :+1:
i’d like to see a render of the head in grey and with some GI

Requested light and material…

EDIT: updated file, my booboo.

ZAmigos, I appreciate all the support, comments, and suggestions…

Jason, Thanks for taking a moment from your proliforation of postings to give some input. :slight_smile: I appreciate it.

Atwooki/Chris, Thanks for your help from the start :cool: I will definately check out that material and lighting setup, for sure. If I am digging it, I’ll post it here. Cheers mate!

OrrieWalls, I appreciate the insightfull approach you’ve suggested as a means to decide coloring. It is a good idea worth delving into.

Womball, I see how big the post showed up, and yes, it is difficult to absdorb all at once. I will post a side view, just for you pal.

Marcus, thanks for your support, your another real pal and “super-genious” :idea: A render with GI shadows…(Do I just select the “Shadows” box in render?)Hmmm?

Jlizzle, thanks for the support, and the link! The transition fron clay to 3d isn’t that easy, alot to learn at first, but I think once you start to get the hang of it, it’s gets easier(?). I still can’t believe how much more their is to learn :o Great link too! I definately will be influenced by it. That Pierre Bourgeot is one talented dude, and good call on your part, as his coloring is very rich in charactor. Thanks again.

Nick, hey pal! Good hearing from you! You’ve been a pal from the start too. Thanks for the kind words…(What is GI???) Sorry…:rolleyes:

Again, thanks and I will keep everything in mind.
Cheers guys!
~BW

Thanks! I think that will help seeing all of the details and possible mistakes (if any). I’d like to see this guy painted up like an latex appliance. I think he needs some color!

Here is an update, and a profile view for Womball :smiley: B.Wade Demon V.3.5.jpg

The original document size was 3100w X 2200h
Material and light from Pixolaters WhiteDinoLight.ZLI and WhiteDinoShader.ZMT with some adjusting courtesy of Jason Belec. (Thanks)

Zoom>AAHalf. 3d edit off. Draw Smoothing at 1

Would greatly apprecialte any further feedback on lighting or materials.
(Still some further modeling to do)

Further critiques and criticisms welcome from all :slight_smile:
~Mr.M

i’m quite new at this, so sorry for my newbishness. -but how did you get the crevases darker (like theres dirt rubbed in) in that last render?

Well we can now see everything - nnniiiiiccccceeeeeeee!

More! :wink:

There we go, now I can see everything. Some things that I think could use work:

More variation in the pore sizes and shapes. Maybe even a smaller dots in certain areas might help. Its a bit too even now.

The bones on the cheek are kind of hard to read and maybe could be a bit more substantial and curved.

If you have XSi, Maya, Modo, Lightwave and etc you should try rendering him in that. I think he would really benefit from perspective and area lights. You could also use Blender if you do not have these programs, its free after all.

For lighting as well, 3 or 2 point lighting might work really well. Whatever the main source of light is that should be where the only shadows come from. The other lights you can turn off the shadows! This will hide the fact that there are more than 1 light in the scene by only having one shadow cast from the character’s face. Colored lighting might be nice too. Cold colors I would think, although perhaps a warm rim light might provide a nice contrast.

Guys,
Jason:Thanks for the support. Does the render look about right?
Womball: I will keep going. I have Modo, but have no clue whatsoever about it, at I have been focusing entirely on Zbrush.
Is their a thread or tutorial about rendering in Modo somewher around here??
Indigo: I think that effect yourtalking about happened when I turned on Shadows in the Render Pallatt. (I could be wrong though)

Cheers Guys, I will try some new lights and materials.
~B.W.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=12041

This has some links on it. I think even video tutorials, which are probably the best way to learn. :slight_smile: I’m sure there are lots of other resources on those forums as well.