ZBrushCentral

2nd attempt textured head

after doing the kung fu head i thought ill try doing one in texture but im having trouble trying to get realistic finish,can anybody give me any pointers in the right direction,ret orc head.JPG

Hey whats up, sucks your first post didn’t get any replies, but that happens sometimes. Posts can come and go before anyone notices, the kungfu head isn’t bad btw. I like it. The biggest problems I see in this one, is the shape of the features still needs work, before the detailing is done. Plus the wrinkles are just an inflate/std with very little smoothing, it doesn’t look like it adds to the shape but is just drawn on top of the model. I am pretty bad at doing good detailing in the form of wrinkles though so don’t have any good advice related to doing it right. Try checking out alexeias:
http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=36295
He is really impressive when it comes to that.

Also stroke mouse avg: raise this value, or move the mouse slower to get smoother lines, and do away with those bumps you see in some of your wrinkles. It does lag things down some though at higher resolutions.

As for getting it more realistic, I would try and define the shape some more, use some photo references. The top lip could definetly use some work. From what I can tell, I think one of the better ways to do teeth, is either to make sure their planned out properly beforehand so your mesh has enough density in the area you plan to raise it, or add them in maya. Otherwise they look like your teeth do now, which lacks some realism =P.
Keep it up, hope this is some help =P.

Thx for the pointers and the link ill keep refining this model till i get the look im trying to achive

thx again cspalak

toke your advice and went back to the drawing board and what a turn around :smiley: im well happy with the finish but this is only the start safe again cspalak new orc jpg.JPG

I’m liking the form you have coming, but you might want to remember to hold shift while drawing so you can smooth it out alot more. That way you have a constant flow about your model. Also if you are looking for tips on texturing you should try the Piscasso Tutorial ( it shows you have to texture with projection master, builder the shader, and it even gives some great tips on creating lights for your scene! ). I used that tutorial for the basis of my demo reel and it helped me alot with texturing. After that I went on and used Zapplink. Its a great plugin that lets you hook photoshop up with Zbrush. :lol:

*Also you should consider looking up stock photos, they provide textures alot of times and are generally royalty free ( it means you don’t have to pay to download it )

This is really cool how did you get the mesh so smooth, when i make mine they come out really bumpy and sharp :rolleyes:

Hey adam, looked at your post quick. The reaseon your mesh is so jagged looking is because your expanding/inflating without increasing the geometry subdivision level. You do not have enough polygons to work with, with the amount of detail you are trying to achieve. Also try using smooth over the areas which is hold shift when sculpting. Try and think of your mesh as a group of polygons/squares. If you pull on an area too much then the squares in that area are going to be significantly larger than the rest of your mesh. Thusly they will be more blocky. This is why most people create a base mesh in another program, so they can achieve the right polygon flow, shape, and density first. Then sculpt upon that. Also smooth diagonal lines are harder to achieve because of how your polygons are placed. If you look at some base meshes of faces you can see the topology is usually setup to flow in an arc by the raised cheek area. This helps achieve those smoother lines in that area. That may be a bit more than you wanted lol. The quick answer is up the subdivision level and use the smooth tool =P.

Looking a lot better r3 =P.

Ah thanks alot cspalak because i have only been using zbrush for a day and this is all i could come up with (very blocky) so sorry bout the crapiness but i could not figure out how to make it smoother so i will give it another try :smiley:

refined this head alot more and added my texture and lighting i have been working on still gonna add more detail to this face and started work on the armour to maybe by the end of the week i will have my first picture done

thx to all the people who have helped me with this amazing program:D orc hed lightin.JPG

an update! :smiley: