ZBrushCentral

Realistic Male

Hey Everyone,

Here is a Male I have been working on in ZBrush. XSI, Houdini, and Photoshop.

UpperBackHoudiniLogo_03.jpg

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Attachments

RealisticMaleCharacter_02.jpg

RealisticMaleCharacter_01.jpg

Nate,

Nice work! That top image looks photorealistic. Well done.
~BW

Hey Brian,

I took the liberty of looking at your work under your sig. Man you are freakin good dude. I absolutely love your designs and work. Your a great sculpter. Yeah the crazy thing about that skin shader in Houdini is that it does not use SSS. I used 3 different light models in the their shading network for their renderer called Mantra which is a Renderman complaint renderer. The only other package I know of where you can do this and break out the light models seperately like that is XSI. I would have to check if blender can now with their new node based shading system. Renders really fast. I did it in less than 2 hours for the contest. Mind you I already had done the model earlier and that texture projection so its probably more around something like 20 hours. My first entry into that contest is way more complex but you can't begine to see all of the detail that I did because the image is just so small due to the image rendering requirements so I did that 2nd contest entry, the first image post, as a last ditch effort to turn something good into the contest. lol Its crazy how things go. I learned a ton from it. I really loved your big headed guy and several of your other creatures. Man I just love your designs I hope they all make it into the gallery I think you deserve it.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Hi Nate,

First…Thanks for the kind words, but truly there are literally thousands and thousands of guys around here and elsewhere that put me to shame. This is not a ham-fisted attempt at false modesty. I am a toddler, so to speak, surrounded by giants. But the support is appreciated, and I will use it as motivation not to chuck my Pc out the window on tough days.

Second…You all but practically lost me after the word sculptorI am still just learning all this, but I get the gist and it sounds like you spent a lot of time and effort on this great model, coloring, shading, and rendering.

I am sure you did it in record time compared to if I were to try as well
All your posts here are excellent.
My girlfriend was particularly fond of a few of the views, wink, wink.

Needless to say I would not be surprised to hear if you win the next contest. so keep me posted. I certainly could pick up a lot of tips from you.

Keep up the good work, and feel free to stay in touch you ol’ smoothie you.
Cheers,
~BW

Hey Everyone,

Here is a better head sculpt. It was much needed. I am afraid I just did not have time to get to it earlier. I think I will study the 2nd layer of muscles on the legs so I can do a better sculpt for them and then do a total resculpt on the arms with respect to the 2nd layer of muscles on the arm. This head was a total resculpt. This is a major improvement over the previous version. Looking for crits particularly on the ears.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

[RealisticMaleHead_01.jpg]

Hey Guys N Gals,

New update fixed some of the ears, neck on the sides and back was defined further hopefully I didn't over do it. I also redid the eyelids special thanks to Brian Wade for pointing out they were off. It really helped.

[RealisticMaleHead_02.jpg]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Pretty solid work, but the eyes are looking too big. Also you could define the antihelix of the ears up a bit more. Keep going. :+1:

Hey BlackCrane,

Thank you so much for your crit. It helped a ton. I also got a crit about the eyeballs themselves and I made changes to those also. I was wondering about some of the things you mentioned but I was not sure if I was right in thinking they were off. You helped me pin point them. Other things like the nose I didn't even notice it was off that someone mentioned and that helped a lot. Also I did not notice that the eye sockets themselves were too big. I was wondering if they were too close together and then you verified it for me. The ears are still off and not perfect. I worked on them some more. I reworked the neck also. The changes I have made have been to the eyeballs, eyesockets, the bone structure in the eyebrow arch of the skull, the skull shape all around the top, back, and sides, the neck thichness at the base and the all the way up connecting to the skull, updates to the nose both the nostral regions and to the underside of the nose in how they nostrals connect into the rest of the nose form, I made many changes to the ears, and I added definition into the neck and into the muscles leading into the shoulders, and better integrated the two together. Please if you see anything else off please let me know. Your last comments helped me tremindously. :) ;) He looks so much more realistic now.

Things I need to do: Sculpt the Eyeballs, and work more on the ears although I am not sure what exactly is off here.

[RealisticMaleHead_03.jpg]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Hey Everyone,

I did not have the ear wide enough so they did not go back far enough because of that. I have fixed that now as far as I can tell unless you see that it still needs work. I have done a total resculpt of the ear, and I really dove into my books that covered the cartilage systems and how the skin is built up over them. I was working from drawing. I noticed by own ear has more detail right on the structure and surface of the the cartilage but I don't have the current resources to study it in depth. I think I would need to take a picture of my ear with a digital camera in the mirror and then I could really study it well. I have resculpted the eyeballs but I am not done with them, and I am currently painting up an eye ball texture that I am going to apply for modeling purposes also in ZBrush to the eye ball itself. My girlfriend mentioned that the Tear Ducts and the eyelids at the edge of the eye need more work and she is going to tell me exactly what is off. She is going through nursing school so her input is pretty good. She has a good eye for my mistakes. lol I have resculpted the eye lids but I don't think it will address the issues. I used Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck. Its one of the few books I know that really breaks down the ear in detail. My ear in this sculpt is not perfect but at least its closer. That book helped me alot. You may already have it for all I know. Its very detailed which is nice to have around. It is going to take a while longer for me to finish the eye painting I am doing in Photoshop. I think I have spent about 5 or 6 hours on it and I am only about half way done. ugh.

[RealisticMaleHead_04.jpg]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Hey Nate.

Just wanted to say this is coming along nicely :+1:
~Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the comment. I made updates to the eye region. I suspect it could be better, but for now I am going to paint the Eye Ball in Photoshop. If anyone has suggestions for the Eye Region or anything else for that matter I am all ears. :) ;) This is a major improve to the eye region over the other eye setup. I have fixed the upper eye lid that looks a little straight and flat in one area. It is more apparant it seems in the ZBrush non perspective mode than in a perspective mode where it becomes very difficult to see the little aboration. Its amazing how different he looks in Perspective mode compared to sculpting mode. Does anyone know if you can can render a picture in ZBrush in the Perspective mode? I know you can view and rotate your model in the mode but you can not sculpt or manipulate him in anyway shape or form.

[RealisticMaleHead_05.jpg]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Hi Nate, the iris is looking kind of strange. It looks like you’ve been sculpting it, or have a displacement map on it, that’s not really necessary. Check out these links;

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/antro_eye2/antro_eyetex_01.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorials/antro_eye1/antro_eyemod_01.asp

I hope it helps.

Hey Black Crane,

I am already doing both of those. The eye ball was orginally modeled in that manner I followed Aaron Sims book on XSI and its the exact same thing as that eye tutorial that you just linked to. I am doing that exact tutorial for the eye ball painting. That tutorial is not easy. There are a good number of steps that are missing. Its a skill I think I will have to develop more. The author is really awesome with the painting skill on that eyeball. I am taking one additional step beyond both of these however and I am modeling out the eye because I love the result I saw on the Cat Man and I think it does make some difference with the way the light interacts with it. It looks kind of funny right now because I have not used the image to model with an there is no color on the eyeball itself but I think its totally worth it. I think this add more depth. I have modified the sculpting for human eye because of course he has modeled it for a Cat eye. I will be sure to post the results of this on here. Its just something I want to try out.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=40831&page=3&pp=15

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Hey Everyone,

I call it rough life. I did this in only 30 minutes based off of the other model. I just wanted to see how much I could push the concept idea quickly from a base mesh. I think I got descent results. Broken nose, knife cut along the eye region, etc. Crits and comments welcome as always.

[RealisticMaleHeadFrontRoughLife_01.jpg]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

im no professional. i dont know what base mesh you worked from either. it is hard to critique something, without knowing where you started. (though my models arent great, i dont use anyones base mesh’s ever, so you know that i did the whole thing)

but what i notice, is his lips apprear to be too fat, or just as if he doesnt actually have lips, but just skin where they should be, and his ears also seem too fat. or no, not fat, but it seems the front “edge” of his ear travels too far down, as it should almost cut off, where the edge of the ear connects to tha face. i think he’s got too much fatty tissue in his temple area. the top half os his head doesnt seem to fit with the lower part of his face.

thats all i can say, without seeing the base mesh side by side with it. for all i know, you didnt do any of the things i critiqued?

(this is a reply to post #14)

Hey Rio,

I did do this model's base mesh it is in the post up above. I do all my own work. All these models and works I have done from scratch. They are no body else's but mine. I quickly remodeled the base mesh in the post up above in about 30 minutes in division level 5 because I have encountered some kind of bug where my mesh is getting ripped apart every time I import it. The Ear proportions are correct. The ear starts at around the Eyebrow region and goes down to the bottom edge of the nose or the edges of the top of the lip where it starts. You can kind of play around with those proportions. These are unattached ear lobes as opposed to attached ear lobes. There are different kinds of ear lobes. I personally have Unattached ear lobes and so does my character. Thats not fat on this head its the different muscle regions of the head layed ontop of the different bone structures of the skull. The lips could use a bit more of a harder edge to define them.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler