ZBrushCentral

Blender<->Zbrush

Figured I should post this here:

http://www.zbrush.info/site/index.php/Zbrush_to_Blender_Guide

I started to make a wiki guide for Blender & Zbrush users. It mainly goes over how to import & export between the programs.

To do the Normal mapping in Blender you’ll have to get a CVS build until Blender 2.43 is out. You can find the builds here: http://www.blender3d.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=cc26b897ab915293050465e23d0be323

great contribution!:+1:

Awesome! Is this on the pixologic website too? Well at least a link?

WOW, I have not check up on Blender for ages. Just downloaded it and had a look. They included YafRay now, which is a cool free render engine.
Also animation and rigging seem to be in there. Just spend 10 minutes and got this out of it… Blender looks pretty cool!
[attach=44545]blendertest.jpg[/attach]
Cheers
Lemo

Attachments

blendertest.jpg

looks good to me as well :slight_smile:

will try it out tonight

thanks that you started to do a wiki for zbrush and blender.

will be helpfull.

ciao voolger

Glad you guys find it usefull :slight_smile:

I will try to update it too, when I get free time. But if anyone else wants to add to it feel free! I’d really like to get a displacement map, and cavity maps section in there. Not sure how that works in Blender yet though, so I’ll have to try things out.

To get displacement to work, you need have the disp button near the nor button pressed. And there is a disp slider which you slide to about .2 or a rather low number. Since blender renders fast you can safely use trial and error. However your going to need at least a sub-d level of 3 or 4 to get a decent displacement.

Shift + P key to open a small preview render window. Drag it around and resize it over anything to show a preview.

Blender only uses 8 bit displacements so watch out for stepping in the model. (I’ve been using medium-high poly models and normal mapping to get around this.)

Yeah that’s the problem I encountered when I tried it Cyjal…so we may just have to wait until Blender supports the higher bit images to get good results with displacement.

Hey I actually founf your wiki doc before your thread but I’m still haveing trouble getting the normal map to work. I follow the tutorial in the quickstart guide and used a morphtartet to make a normal map for a simple shpere and then I follow your directions to use the normal map in blender but I still get some weird thing like this. The original deformations I have are a few small deco brush strokes with z-intensity of 10 and some standard brush work in areas. Are these deformations to big to be seen with just a normal map ? Or am I doing so procedure wrong? Any help would be welcome. Thanks
Problem.jpg

PS I am very new to blender and i have never really worked with any type of mapping in zbrush before so im still just getting the hang of this.

Well, it’s kind of hard to say what exactly you’re doing wrong and such without knowing more.

Make sure it’s a Tangent space normal map from zbrush that you generated. And post here shots of your high-poly zbrush’d sphere, along with your normal map so that we can see what it’s supposed to look like.

Sorry Safari is giveing me a weird “cant show page” message when I try and Upload jpegs but when I can post i will.

Any news on ZB displacement maps inside Blender. It is amazing app that should be used by a lot ZB artists, especially cause it is free an has some really great rendering tools. Few examples: http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/art-gallery/

Cheers,
Marko

thank you very much for blender <-> zbrush