ZBrushCentral

Rhino, please critique

color01.jpg Hello

Here is my Rhino WIP, please let me know what you think. I’ve finished the topology and proportional modelling, but I am still finishing up the texture map. I plan to take this to maya for the final render, so some shader work is in the future. I stopped texturing about a year ago- so please let me know where I can improve. The goal is a photorealistic white rhino- we’ll see how close I can get.

Thank you for your help in advance

Craig Dowsett

Attachments

shade01.jpg

wire01.jpg

This looks so freaking sweet!!! Looks real enough to me.

nothing to moan, looks great. potential top row candidate :wink:

What fantastic modeling! :+1:

Fantastic detail

nice modeling !.. want to see the render …

This looks very good! Love it! :+1:

comic_craig,

Very well done! Forms are pretty right on with this one.

I can’t say anything bad, so I am not helping you much here, but here is a photo of a sculpt of mine that may or may not help with some details, etc.
Wade-Rhino2.jpg

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
~BW
PS. You get five stars from me for the form work alone. Well done!
Now put him into motion!

wow! You comic_craig and Mr.Monster did a great work:) Congrats

Wow- thank you all for the kind words- but feel free to critique too.

Okay- I probably could have choosen a better angle for this- but I wanted to show the rhino from a new angle, as well as include the old for comparison. I think I might be finished with the color map- but let me know if you spot a problem area.

Mr. Monster- thanks for the ref pic. I probably should do some more tradditional scupture one of these days. “now put him in motion”- what? I don’t know about that- I like to animate, but I hate to rig. We’ll see.

Erklaerbar- thanks- here is hoping.

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement.front_back.jpg

Craig

…surrely an Hyppopotamus? :wink:
:+1:

damm what a nice model , in my opinion you should try 2 get such great work always a bit further, a example of it is animating/illustrating a msg with in,
it always gives me the feeling that the artist has a life 2.
but it is a online WIP indeed.
pls dont get me wrong i kind of say the same as mr. monster
but i leave it up 2 him! i did learn a bit 2 :slight_smile:

rhino_on! love it:+1:

comic_craig,
I guess the sculpt photo didn’t get the right message across. I thought it would. I guess what I should have said was this… Seeing as it has gone this far and is looking so well, I would take it to the next level. Having researched rhinos myself, I am aware that they are varied and differ greatly, but what I would suggest is to review your reference photos, (gather even more of them as well), and then push the tertiary forms and details even further to give it some more character. (I don’t mean in a cartoony fashion)

It is a great model. You could stop where you are, and be pleased, but since you’ve come this far and are asking for suggestions, I say keep going. Push it even further. Surround yourself with as much reference as possible, and find the one that calls to you, and make it so.

I would make some of the wrinkles and cracks a bit deeper as well. Rhinos are a plethora of details, the closer you get to them.

Just my 2 cents, and I gave you five stars by the way.
Cheers,
~BW

Mr.Monster- Actually, the reason you don’t see the next level of detail is that I’m not done yet. :slight_smile:

My process is first create the form, then create an alpha map, and then create the final high frequency detail. I didn’t mean to give the impression that I was done- I just wanted feedback on the color map before using it as an alpha. Right now I’m in the process of converting the color info into a usable alpha. I’m not sure if the next changes will be what you are hoping to see, but I agree, this can be pushed farther and will be. Thanks for the encouragement and the critique- hopefully you will not be dissapointed.

word

Looking great craig :slight_smile:

I think you have some great forms going. It’s definetely ready to go into more of the medium to fine detail stage. Since you asked for a critique I would sayin IMO I think some of wrinkles in the rhino near the back on top look alittle too painted on, make them very in width and flow with the anatomy alilttle better. I see alot of large folds and I know its a WIP so once you break the large folds up with smaller ones that all tie together its gonna look really great.

• darrell

Well then, I would have to say again that it looks great at this point.

Keep up the great work. Lookking forward to more:D

I doubt I could be dissapointed by how this turns out:+1:
~BW

Here is a first pass at adding more detail. I feel that the details in the face can be toned down, and more folds in the body. That is where you guys come in- please let me know what you think.color.jpg

Attachments

back2.jpg

front2.jpg

I hear ya!
Or desrease the wrinckles in the face, or increase the wrinckles on the body. The head draws a bit to much attention now I think… Great work so far…

NIce updates man,I’m liking it

You should maybe smoothout the wrinkles on the face a bit…they look too sharp ?

I gave the rhino a simple rig for posing it and placed it on a turn table. The turn table is made up of grass (the blue wires), some bamboo poles, and some dirt I need to finish modelling in Zbrush. I’m interested in what you all think of the pose, design, and composition. I’m looking to show off the model- nothing to fancy. BTW- the spheres are control objects and will not render.

CraigrhinoTurnTable01.jpg

Attachments

rhinoTurnTable02.jpg

rhinoTurnTable03.jpg

rhinoTurnTable04.jpg