ZBrushCentral

Minerals as abstract art (Now with 23 Materials added)

Hello there;
Geez havent post in a wile and lost my previous account in this community.
Anyway i have been researching loads into synesthesia (for my minor project of uni), which for those who doesnt know what does it mean is the mixed of conjoined senses, known as the mind´s eye.

Im trying to recreate minerals as abstract art because i have come to believe (as my own theory) that minerals / cristals are the proper example of what synesthesia is, but in the "mind" of the planet earth. As an example, some people can see letters in diferent colors, and or hear a sound and put a color to it. My project isnt about minerals but is a way to make my approach to complete a video which will chill/empower/give extra boost of energy to those who watch it. Lets say as a visual/sound therapy. Anyway, the abstract minerals are created all in zbrush and with a little postproduction in photoshop. These are just tests, but i wanted to show you to get some feedback in the images. Thank you for taking this time to read all this boring thing. Cordially Luis Faus [![mine1b dkzs.jpg|846x720](upload://v5Gr2O4E2ybJNZ4E7vMHusJUVjV.jpeg)]![mine2 dkzs.jpg|836x771](upload://9njtRf8xkaJiHCtVRP9tGByXZhm.jpeg)

very nice stuff
pleas write some method explanation if you want.
thanx

Didn’t really understand the explanation but love the pics. Any chance of telling us how you achieve that result in zb?

…mineral indeed! :+1:

Hey Dkzs,

Neat stuff man ... I really like the idea of modeling/rendering these minerals. They look great, neat work. Glad i checked out this thread :). Any zbrush files u can upload so we can see what u did here? No problem if not :) just curious is all.

Dan

super id man! and pictures 2

Nice work, I’d love to know how this was achieved in zbrush?

Interesting theory and motivation for this work alos! I’m assuming your talking about the Gaia theory that the word is a living organism in itself? I hope ‘we’ are not simply conjoured up from the Earths minds eye!? Although I’d guess were more of an infestion, like fleas! :lol:

Another mineral as abstract to the collection, need to do at least 150 more ^_^.
The process is easy, you just need a photoreference and try to combine the minerals toguether with a color therapy/ shape therapy im following. Basing on primitives wich you deform as you please in zbrush and making your own materials similating the ones in the minerals/cristals and with and some postproduction in photoshop you can archive this resaults. If i ddnt really make any sense, ill try to make a small video about it.

I would like to explain a little bit more of what my project is about but its kinda complicated not to be here all day reading my research nd what im basing on. Although if you like i can writte it.

Thanks very much for you comments, im really glad that you like the images.
Im posting aswell two tests i did in 3dsmax rendering with vray with no post production on them.

Please feel free to comment and crittique my images.

Cordially

Luis Faus

[min5b dkzs.jpg]mine1vrayB dkzs.jpg

Attachments

mine1vrayA dkzs.jpg

Great idea :+1:

I’ve collected minerals and gemstones for most of my life. There is no artist more talented than Mother Nature. I started out as a Geology major back in the uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh Dark Ages.

I’ve got a few hundred ad’s to do this weekend but I could take some photo’s for reference for you when I get some time. Most of my collection is in museums nowdays but I’ve still got some cool stuff around. Send me a Private Message if you would like me to do that. I’m getting a new camera in a day or two and it would give me something to practice with.

Keep posting :+1:

Hi there,

Been researching more into gemstones/minerals pictures of high resolution, and made a quite satisfactory test of a mineral “mix”; Malachite (green cristals) Azurite (some of the blue stuff) and kind of a Carnelian (red rock)

I made my own material based in a material posted in this forums (dont remember the name of the guy who post it) but the material was called “doomed” (kind of a very rusted metal). Messed with the settings and colors, put some fog in the rendering and little postproduction in photoshop.

What u guys think?

[min6 dkzs.jpg]min6b dkzs.jpg

Looks good :+1:

I have tomorrow free so I’ll get some photo’s for you. Let me know what resolution and how you want me to get them to you?

would be cool to see a small video of how yer doing them. As one who used to collect minerals when I was younger I really dig what your doing. They look really good!

Great job! Your post attracted me as I’m а fan of both Zbrush and gemmology and gemcutting.

I just attach some photos, if you don’t mind.

This is me with quartz druse in hands (Western Siberia):
[razl_1.jpg]lapis_lazuli.jpg

Attachments

agate.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments and photos , nice jewlerry design. I made a small zscript of making a random mineral. Now, there is a problem with the light, when the zscript finishes, chage the light to for example if u got it, mahicus the black light (or make first light white, second blue and a third one orange with shadows and no radial ) and re-render, that should be the resault.
From there is just run your imagination, passion, inspiration and mostly randomness.

Enjoy.

[making a mineral- dkzs.jpg]

Sorry for the delay. I’ll just start posting here. Some may not be on your list. This is what I’ve dug out of boxes as time allowed.

First this link is to a site with Charoite pic’s. It’s quite ugly unpolished which is all I have on hand. You will like these better.
http://www.mineralminers.com/html/chamins.stm

First photo is an Amethyst stalactite-
amethyst.jpg
All I have the energy for tonight. My wife had a sports event to shoot tonight so I had to use an older camera but it still gets good shots. Hope these help you on your project.

Attachments

apophylite_and_stilbite.jpg

calcite_white.jpg

fibrous_malachite_on_cuprit.jpg

lepidolite.jpg

malachite01.jpg

malachite02.jpg

saddle_blanket_jasper.jpg

selenite.jpg

smokey_quartz.jpg

Blaine, cool collection!
I’m too lazy to dig my boxes :smiley: . Unfortunately I don’t have many crystals in my collection. I always liked agates, cornelians, onyxes an so on…

I’ve put together and sold two collections. Most of my first one are in museums I think. I love crystals the most so I tend to gather them. I like them around the house. That jasper would be great cut. All I have these days is a flat lap for slabs. I am flying south to do a little prospecting over Christmas break. I have not been out in some time.

It will be great to see what is modeled from these.:+1:

Where’s the Kryptonite? :wink:

wOw, thank you very much Blaine! I really appreciate your help, those photos are fantastic, such good camera u bought. Im sorry if wasnt able to contact you before, but my intenet was really playing with me these days.

I have made a new mineral-abstract wich has things i learnt of zbrush render, materials and lights, just yesterday night. The shape can be a little confusing in the top ( visual illusion perhaps) but it wasnt ment to be like that (if you know what i mean)
Its a mineral mix between gold, charoite , sugilite (these two are the violet rock and cristals) on a base of metal/plain stone.

Please comment and critique.
Cordially

Luis Faus

[min9 dkzs.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘45841’,‘min9 dkzs.jpg’,1,0))

Jason - :lol: Can’t have that around! It would take away my super powers:rolleyes:

dkzs - Your welcome. I’ll post some more as I can.