Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Samson_Front/Back/Quarter_002: I have pointed out the areas that I know need attention for sure and some that I do not know what is causing the issue. If anyone can assist with these areas with advise or direction please post or PM/email me.

There are still a number of maps that I have not done yet as well as layers for this map.

Completed accept for final adjustments:

Diffuse:Epidermal layer
    Diffuse:Finger/toe nail layer
    Diffuse:Scaring layer

Still do to:

Diffuse:Grim layer
    Diffuse:Callouse layer
    Diffuse:Dirt/mud layer
    Specular Map
    Subsurface Scatering Map
    Vein Map (Subsurface)

On the back view notice two areas of "pooled blood" that I did not texture. This looks like scewed polys or UVW's but I checked them and they are using my orginal UVW's so I am stumped.

Once this is all complete I will be able to start the rigging/hair/posing before I move on to the environment. If I can not figure out a few of these anomolies I may have to strategically place some hair to hide those flaws. I would prefer to understand and correct them so if anyone has any ideas please chim in:).

Samson_Back_002.jpg
    Samson_Front_002.jpg
    Samson_Quarter002.jpg
    Last edited by hosch; 12-08-06 at 12:53 PM.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine de St. Exupery

I figured out the back "pooled blood" oddity. What happened is that in projection mode in zbrush my uvw's got scewed like I thought so the paint I "thought" I was doing was being thrown accross the back and when I fixed the uvw's upon importing into max it "pooled" the color like you see.

I do not know how to fix this since when I try the mgr that was suggested previously upon import into zbrush I get crashes when I try to then apply the texture. I will continue testing and see if I can find a solution.

LATER EDIT: Actually it was ... yet again ... operator error, lol. When I selected the grey background I used as the base of my scars layer I forgot to uncheck contigous and it left some grey in that triangle area that once the filter applied looked like blood. Ok, 1 down, many to go on figuring how to fix them.
    Last edited by hosch; 12-08-06 at 02:24 PM.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine de St. Exupery

The skin shader looks fantastic! Thought it was real when I first saw the thumbnail. You need to get more definition for this guy though, he's lumpy like , um grits!

I actually have been painting out some of the detail I had since I want him to be slightly stocky/bulky rather than defined. Like a wrestler or strongman from the "strongman competitions".

Do you think that will look good once I get him all hairy?

He will be less shiny in the final, I have not adjusted that yet.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

- Antoine de St. Exupery

Test_Full_000000/000017: Still a good ways to go, but I wanted to get the material editor set up since this is my first time. I am happy with the material settings such as spec/sss/diffuse/etc., but still need some work on the feet/hands anatomical as well as the dirty/grim layers and if I have time some more work on the underlying textures like the scars which are very bland, etc. I think I am going to call it a night since I have been at this almost 36 hours trying to tweak settings and such, but I am fairly happy with my progress. Also he will be much darker at the end, I have not given him his weathering yet. There are still some seams which I cant figure out how to get rid of. I know my shadows are crappy, but I just have not gotten to that yet since I am new to mental ray I will get to that eventually.

Test_Full_000000.jpg
    Test_Full_000017.jpg
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

- Antoine de St. Exupery

I kind of like some shine. He's too flat without out it, and it looks a lot more realistic. Nice leathery look to the skin. How about a halfway point between the two? And I would still define the muscles a tad more. They are getting closer to looking right, they don't need to be overly done.Also you will probably get some forearm veins too popping out.

Thanks. I am talking to an EMT friend now that is giving me advise on the wounds. I have almost all of them way off lol.

I will probably put some shine back in, we will see.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

- Antoine de St. Exupery

Samson_Portriat: Unfortunately, the only way I get him to look this good is by jumping through a few hoops in Photoshop. I have not been able to get him to look this "crisp" with displacement and texturing alone. I am at the stage where I take my renderings into Photoshop and "idealize" them a bit. My next step is to try to figure how to get him as close to the idealized images as possible in true 3d for the animation.

This stage is something I learned in Ian's training DVD. It is something that I was not taught formally and I find it to be extremely useful in pointing out the flawed areas in the 3d model/texture directly. If only I can figure the work arounds now, lol.

About 80-90% of this bust is the displacement render and the last finishing touches that I am trying to figure out in 3d I did playing a few tricks in 2d.

If you look at the two you will see where I have areas to work on still. The actual render is not bad ... for five years ago (before zbrush made such an impact), but by the standards of today it is just not cutting the mustard .

Samson_Portriat.jpg
    Samson_Portriat_Render.jpg
    Last edited by hosch; 12-14-06 at 12:59 PM.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

- Antoine de St. Exupery

Some of the issues I am trying to figure out are not zbrush related. For example, how do I get my textured dirt, scars, etc. to show up on the model without being affected by the sss skin material. I am trying to do it without adding additional geometry which could be done with another character that is transparent and "wrapping" the one you see here using max's skin wrap, but that seems too complicated for a standard issue the industry works with everyday. Any ideas anyone?

My main problem with the displacement map not working as desired is still my main issue at the moment though.
    ------------------
    Semper Fidelis!

John D Hosch

- Antoine de St. Exupery

KnightSoul
    Guest User Gallery

You need to map your SSS like you would map a specular map or a bump map!

Hope it helps!
    Keep up the good work!
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12