Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Buggy Alien

just wanted to share my early WIP. now that i've finally got zapplink working on my mac, i'm pretty excited to get texturing. i'll be adding some big teeth and the 4 eyes later on down the road. base mesh made in SILO 1.42. Screenshot.jpg Screenshot 2.jpg
    Last edited by industripop; 01-09-07 at 10:41 PM.

just a little update. added a bit more detail to this guy. got a long way to go. can't wait to start painting! Picture-1.jpg

nice model and concept, hope to see some updates soon

www.brunomaremonti.it

thanks zzagno! will be updating tonight (depending on how well the detailing goes.)

hey guys, i have a question about this model. i went in last night and started to do a little projection master work and ended up wasting the whole night because i was way overdoing it with the alphas. this is really the first model i've spent a lot of time on and i don't want to muck it up with unecessary overdetailing.

in your collective opinions, should i push this portion of the face further or leave it the hell alone and move on? just wanted to get some feedback.

thanks!!

hi there; could u show any picture which describes your problem? anyway u need to check the number of polygon on your mesh before going into projection master - for the best quality details on your mesh i'd suggest to work with something as 1.5 milion. If u plan to use different alphas remember to check their zintensity (if u work too much on a specific area of the mesh the result might be a flat area); for exemple, u use the first alpha witth zsub value of 2, then u could use another different alpha with a little increment (4 or more) and so on. I hope this can help
    Last edited by zzagno; 01-12-07 at 12:27 PM.

www.brunomaremonti.it

hi zzagno. thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. it's not really a technical problem (unfortunately) as i'm pretty familiar with all the projection master stuff. it's more of an artistic decision problem i'm struggling with. i always seem to get to this stage of my models and then bail because i get frustrated with fine detailing.
    Last edited by industripop; 01-12-07 at 12:55 PM.

i understand; anyway, i really like the last image u showed, some extra details can only improve it

www.brunomaremonti.it

Default small update---new stuff learned!!

this is just a little update on this head model. only one response (thanks zzagno for the encouragement) on the first posting made me go back and re-think this guy. i'm still learning and thank goodness i went back and discovered that i could adjust the alpha brush falloff so it wasn't so intense. it was a happy accident. there's much more control that way. one of the things that really bugged me was that i couldn't seem to flatten out those bulges made by the brush i was using. adjusting the falloff was what i was looking for! this is at 40270 polys (or level 3.)

Head_start.jpg
    Last edited by industripop; 01-18-07 at 01:50 AM.

The 'Internet' baby! What wonderful scenery! And the realestate is still cheap...

Nice work so far. Reminds me of a post awhile back about work on an upcoming film based on that great sci-fi novel.

If you are making something cartoony, then less detail. If you are making something that is never going to be seen close up, less detail. If you are making something that is the centre piece of your work or for the close up shot then detail the heck out of it! You can always clean it up/smooth it out with the provided tools.
    Jason Belec
    Kiss Your Sister Studios... YEAUCH

Eternal Zsphere thread : 'Origins' begins... : Liquid Maya

Jason can be reached at Cowboy Feng's Spacebar and Grill. If you know where it is, you are indeed privileged. It's your round.

'Obey me! I am ROOT!'

that thing has potential keep on working on him, i like the form you have given him so far.

cheers

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hey Industripop...the model is looking great...love the concept of the creature...I think as a general rule (as far as I was taught) is to try and keep out of projection master as long as you possiblly can...I think the most important thing when sculpting is to get the larger forms and masses correct and believable...Surface details such pores and fine wrinkles only serve to enhance the realism of your sculpt, but they won't make or break your model like structure and anatomy will...have you tried using the bump viewer material yet for finer details?...if you use it and get results you like you can always transfer it back to the model as a displacement...neways hope that helped...I'll be looking out for more updates

started to texture this oogly bastich. not sure if i'll ever finish him as i'm getting bored with this model. it's a nice practice piece and i'm learning a lot about zbrush. anyways here he is...

Picture-2.jpg

New Member Follow User Gallery

now, first you generated a normal map for it,, then you can make a color texture for it afterward? how were u able to do that? is that all do-able all in zbrush? or did you do that in photoshop after you generate a normal map? how does the color texturing process work?

hi lakerji. that process you described is a little too complicated for a noob like me, lol. i just created a 4096 x 4096 blank texture and brought the unshaded into photoshop using zapplink. in photoshop, i grabbed a skin texture i had and placed it on top and set the layer mode to overlay. i did this a couple times, adjusting the color of the texture each time.

then using zapplink, i went back and forth between zbrush and photoshop painting with a really light opacity for the veins and the skin, building from dark to light.

pretty simple stuff. used some of the principles from the caroline delene video located here: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthr...361#post224361

thanks for looking, and i hope that helps!