ZBrushCentral

Organic Modeling

Hi this is an update to my anatomy sculpture, I have to put some detail and add texture, I’ts a shame I can’t subdivide it any more than 1 607 504 polys or something like that.
please critics and comments are more than welcome.
trqu.jpg

Attachments

front.jpg

side.jpg

back.jpg

Lookin really good ATM! I’m really interested in how this turns out.

Beautiful work! I love it. you have a very convincing feel for the muscles and tendons pushing against each other and out towards the “skin.”

My only crit, I think the bone structure in the legs is just a little thick to match the torso and arms.

Keep up the great work!

-Jim

I have to put some detail and add texture

I see only beautiful forms & détails :slight_smile:

lookin’ good to me…keep it up…no crits at the moment…

ron
catfishmn@aol.com

Hi guys, I’ve been busy lately, so I haven’t been able to continue the work and to be honest I’ve got a little lazy too, I’m going to continue this work on monday, meanwhile I started working yesterday in something a little more creative and relaxing: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=330726&posted=1#post330726
So if you guys want to check it out it would be nice, I also wanted to say that I’m going to post some kind of tutorial about usefull technikes to avoid problems that I had. This would be posted in wednesday or thursday, when the work is finished.

3dj: I think you are right with the legs, thank you.

Thank you for all the support.

Hi!,

Just wanted to add my compliments on this very challenging and well executed model. One possible suggestion/request would be to post a turntable of the model. The reason for this is that you did an excellent job on showing the shapes of some extremely complex muscle shape interactions (example: the external oblique/gluteus medius/gluteus maximus area), and being able to see these types of interactions in a moving 3d environment would be incredibly useful both to beginning and more advanced anatomy students since it might help to give them a better "feel" for how it all fits together. Again, a truly marvelous piece.

Hi Johannes, how to say no to that, I’ll be dlighted, as I said I’m going to post a tutorial by the end of next week, I’m going to include that in te tutorial if you want, and I’m going to make some observations about some things that are liberties that I took but aren’t really like that in the human anatomy.

Anterior
I like the sternocleidomastoideus, but then you sheathed the omohyoideus
Why are there 2 going into the coracobrachialis?
The serratus anterior is ambiguous, and is more so at the part under the outside of the pectoralis/latissimus (lateral view)
He looks like he’s wearing chaps at the heads of the rectus, and sartorius
Needs more adipose over the patella
Nice gastrocnemiuses!

Posterior
Need more striations on the trapeziuses and latissimus
What is that triangle form over the scapula? Teres major/minor may be below this sheath
Where is your sacrospinalis?
Striations on gluteus medius/maximus
Where is you soleus? The tendons of the foot are not defined, and you have no medial malleolus

I’m not seeing the trochanter, and the externus should be more prominent

Hi again!,

Great to hear that you'll be putting up a tutorial on the approach you used for this piece. I think it's great that you'll also be pointing out where you went outside the parameters of a strictly scientific model since not all uses would require that level of extreme accuracy. In my own experience of working for the entertainment industry for 15 years, in most cases, art directors are looking for a "feel" of correctness rather than medical grade accuracy (of course this is totally different in medical animation or some types of entertainment visuals) and having someone show where they feel safe taking "liberties" with the anatomy will hopefully give beginning artists a better understanding of both the need to learn the rules of anatomy and get them thinking about when, why and where to break those rules. It also highlights the importance of understanding the goal of a project that one is undertaking and identifying at an early stage what level of accuracy it will require so that one doesn't waste time including a level of detail not needed, or alternatively putting in too little accuracy for what the client requires. I'll be looking forward to seeing your tutorial!,

Johannes Huber

I’d be interested in seeing the edge loops and the base mesh. Whether this is normal mapped or displacement mapped, if it’s going to be animated, and you’re going to have build blends for this, or even hand it off down the pipeline, they’re not going to work with a 1 million plus hi res mesh.

So it must be a study, right? Expecting the anterior, lateral, and posterior deltoid heads is not medical accuracy–that’s anatomy ala organic modeling. Anybody can poly block an .OBJ file and feed it into ZBrush. Just a critique.

Hi everyone, sory I haven’t been arround these days, but I wasn’t home, ok today I worked a little again in the model, defining the parts that were ambiguous, usually when I’m not sure what i’m going to do with something I leave it a little ambiguous so I can return to it later and make a desition, this will be the case now with the feet, because I don’t know right now if I should detail the tendons or leave them more as a volume, because right now the feet are giving a sense of mass that I like, please don’t mind the bottom of the feet it is going to be fixed.

Wavila2: thank you for your coments, this is more a model for me to go over my anatomy knowlege, so I don’t require 100% accuracy the striations are the final step before textures, I don’t know yet about the patella, I’ll decide later but I’m going to consider it, I just don’t want to have a big bulge over the knee, I don’t mind right now about the soleus, is a 2nd layer muscle and doesn’t add so much to the feel, thank you very very much for your observation on the scapula, I had made a huge mistake with the rhomboideus and that did a big mess, there are areas that are stylized, because hey if I’m doing this for myself I better have fun.
here I post the base mesh too is really simple and I’m not planing on animate it, but I’m planing to pose it, it has been modeled in a more “clay” aproach.
anyway thank you and keep posting comments please.

Johanes: you are absoloutley right, is not so much the anatomy itself as the feel that nothing is extra or missing what is important.
Basetrqu.jpg

Attachments

Trqu.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Baseback.jpg

Hi, I finally took some time to finish this sculpture, I’ sory I havn’t been able to post the tutorial, I just had a very busy week, but I promise It will be here for next week, here I post also a fast texture test, I don’t know if I’m going to put texture, as I said, this was more of a personal project to go through some anatomy theory. but please let me know what you think, critics opinions, sugestions, they are all welcome.
01trquf.jpg

Attachments

01ztrqub.jpg

02Front.jpg

03side.jpg

04back.jpg

05detail.jpg

06texture2.jpg

06texture3.jpg

Well aside from the perfect symmetry, there’s very little I could critique. Very nicely done! Definitely, I could always use some good anatomy reference, and I think I just found some!

I’m curious how you got the hard edges on the hand tendons. Whenever I see your piece I revisit mine for about an hour, than get back to my animation out of guilt.

looking pretty cool…can’t wait for more updates.

Hi AnimaTec…very special modeling art you have, I like it, man:+1: Would you like show us, how you work on it? Small tut were enough :slight_smile:

Thanx…

-cheerZ-:sunglasses:

I’ts been a while since my last post, I apologyze, thank you very much for the nice coments I appreciate it.

KrakenCMT: Thanks man, I’m honored, I’ve seen your work too and I love it, It was a very pleasent surprise when I saw that you posted here.

Womball: You can get the hard edges very simple, it is just patience you go level by level defining them as much as you can, using pinch in a moderate way so you don’t mess up the mesh distribution, and finally, when you get to the last level just smooth a little and dig with a very small brush.

aminuts: thanks man, I’ll do the next update in a couple of weeks, I have a project I need to work on right now.

Abyssis: Thank you very much, I’ll be more than happy to do a tutorial, in fact, I promissed one alllready, about my techniques and about anatomy, unfortunatlly I haven’t been able to keep my word, and I’m very sory, It just have been such busy days. But I’m working on it on my spare time, and as I said I one 1/2 o 2 weeks I’ll have more time, so I’ll post updates.

Thank you all again for your nice words.