ZBrushCentral

Cartoon

Hi Guys, I decided to give me a little break from my anatomy model and do something a little more ludic, so I just started this, let me know what you guys think.
trqu2.jpg

Attachments

side.jpg

Really like it man, im trying to get eyes like that with one of mine. But im having major problems. Im trying to use the marker master to draw in 2 spheres then position then where they eyes would be. i hit group and the whole piece re-arranges itself. The only other way i know is to go down the the bottom mesh and follow mr mushrooms tutorial. Is there anyway using speheres for eyes and grouping with your original sculp or do you need to position it and then add the eyes on a seperate layer?

Well, the truth is that I cheated a little here, I really like the Z-spheres construction method, mainly because is so time consuming laying out your general topology, so what I did was making the basic forms for all, body, head, hands, etc. As a Z-spheres mesh and then took it to 3ds Max to change a little the topology, about the eyes, They are a little tricky indeed, and it would be time consuming to try to get them in Z-brush, what I did was use a sphere as a template to snap my vertex and do a clean topology, that is important because you don’t want to follow the topology of the sphere, and then chamfer the edges where it meets the face to give them a hard crease so it looks a little separated from the rest of the mesh, this way I have a one mesh that I can edit in Z-brush, for the eyespheres, you can import them with the mesh, and alt+shift+click in the face to hide them.

It is really important that you optimize your time using the right tools, Z-brush is a great tools, and for some things is my main tool, but you have to know when would be easier to use something else.

I hope this was of any help, I don’t know the mushrom tutorial so I can’t help you there, also check if your multimarker problem has something to do with your pivot points, I really don’t use tha multimarker all that much.

If I wasn’t clear at something, didn’t answer your question or you have another doubt, I’ll be glad to help you.

Cant wait to see it finished. Sounds like you have a few tricks up your sleeve. Thanks for the advice and a quick reply. (if anyone else knows anything about the problem im having please drop me a quick pm :+1:)

The technigues you describe I recenly discovered and it’s helping my work significantlly.

I’ll see if I can find a few mnutes and show how to do it with zsphere’s, not really that hard. :wink:

I always love to see the cartoon faces on here too. Nice clean lines and great expression. Looking forward to more.

Thank you very much for all your coments.

I’m currently about to finish an anatomy work, http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=330247#post330247
As soon as I finish it (next week I think, I’ve got very lazy in the final phase), I’m going to put a tutorial on technikes and things that the project have taught me to be usefull to keep in mind, so if someone is interested, it should be posted by wdnesday or thurday of the next week.

Jason: it would be very nice to see your techniques.

Here’s an alternative way to combine and position objects (like head, eyes and other elements).

Before starting, go >>>HERE<<< and download the Xform plugin and install it. It’s handy to drag the Xform launch button (found in the Zplugin>Svengali group) to your custom interface. At the same link, there is also a .PDF file that explains how Xform works.

The Process:
First, use MultiMarker to quickly combine the objects:head, eyes, eyelids, etc. The placement can be approximate because you will fine-tune in the next process step.

Select the MultiMarkers tool and save the markered objects out by clicking the make polymesh button.

Load the resulting polymesh. Each sub-object in the mesh will be a separate polygroup.

Launch Xform - the axis buttons let you view front, side views etc. You can Control-Shift click one of the polygroups which remains visible and all others are hidden. Press the MaskGroup button and all others re-appear but masked.

At this point I like to press the MouseMove button which maximizes the DrawSize circle. This lets you use the mouse to quickly drag the unmasked polygroup relative to the masked polygroups. You can also use the precision Move buttons to “inch” the unmasked polygroup back and forth along any axis.

Before using the Precise Scale and Precise Rotate buttons you will want to relocate the axis to the center of the unmasked polygroup - Press the GroupAxis button. That will let you scale and rotate the polygroup around its own center. To reset the center of rotation to the entire polymesh, first unmask all, then press GroupAxis button once more.

It all sounds more complicated than it is, and the MouseMove option makes it simple to relocate individual polygroups.

Read the .PDF for more complete info on the Xform plugin. It does other stuff too. :slight_smile:

Sven

OK I whipped up a little guy in a script, It’s rough and just enough to get you oriented. Hope it helps. :wink:

Svengali, has a good approach as well. :wink:

Ace Script :smiley: . The way you work is like you can already see exaly how it will look at higher levels without even going to them. Great way of using spheres for eyes - it’ll help me no end :lol:

Well thank you SunsetSamurai, you can get a lot of this understanding from the Eternal Zsphere thread in my signature that many people keep going. Once you’ve done enough of them, and redone them trying to see how far you can go, you do see or at least have an idea how to attack certain things and allow for others to limit possible problems. Just practice an repetition. :wink:

Is it helping you Animatect? :wink: