Senior Member Follow User Gallery

thats smart ;]

Thanks!
    More Please

Thanks folks, if you want more i'll put together a quick tut on animal head topology that can be used for anything from dragons to dogs etc. Give me a few days and i'll see what i can come up with. I've got the basics worked out, just need to refine it. I never intended on making a tutorial thread but if you find it useful i'm happy to continue.

Steve 8)

Default Just put it!

as you can see your thread is very usefull, lot of interest and lot of things to learn....and is ZB2!!!!
    Andreseloy

Default Handlebar's crazy topology toon head thread.

Ok ZBrusher's, here's the deal........ Your mission is to model a simple cartoon head at level one subdivision. You may start off with zspheres and then continue to box model from a polymesh. Just post your progress in this thread and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Open discusion about all things meshy, good edge flow, poles etc is what this little venture is all about, so if your in just say 'ygolopotyzarc' and we'll see if we can turn this subject on its head.

vulture-challenge.jpg

Here's just a little example to give you an idea of the low poly aproach, but yours can be anything.... rat, dog, amazonian tree ferret, the choice is yours.
    Hope you join in, many brains are better than on a subject like this. Have fun.

Steve 8)

Thanks Handlebar . Great tute. I have owned zbrush for about 8yrs.... I never bothered with this type of modelling until now.

I have learnt following your instructions a couple of 'don't do's'... never add an edge loop twice to the same area in succession (one edgeloop tends to get lost), and secondly 'smart symmetry' actually works on lowpoly models.

I shall post a couple of low poly models shortly. I would have now but I got carried away and mangled the mesh of the model in this image..... another quickie special.......

ldog.jpg

Great model ED, great point about the edge loop, best to keep geometry as low as possible at this point.

I tend to model in as much of the form at this stage as i can, i was put off organic modeling when i first started with zbrush by so many posts saying that it cannot be done effeciently, well hopefully this thread will put an end to those myths. I too started a dog this morning and the whole process has taken me just under an hour to get to this stage, about the same amount of time as it would in any other 3d package.

I started out with the bace zsphere model as you can see, but i found to get the edge flow, that is important for the mouth loop, you need to swith on y symetry to draw out two spheres from the bace sphere and then change to x to draw out the muzzle.

dog.jpg

Default please dont stop!

this is an open eyes tutorial!
    Andreseloy

Smile Hehe!

Box modeling at the Zb saucer
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Right I shall continue.... now that I see what you are doing to get the shapes right for your model Handlebar.

I lapsed back into organic modelling after I subdivided the mesh... shame on me.... but I do find that the mesh is far easier to work with if it has initially been box modelled.....
    I'll be back into this... method tomorrow... and I will post the results and the tool.
    Anyway here is my play.... unfortunately I destroyed the low poly mesh for this.
    It is another quickie.............but fun to do. Bit off track really, but will keep the thread alive hopefully.

klow.jpg

Cool ED, thats what this thread is all about, if the underlying mesh topology is good then it will be much easier to sculpt and animate at a later stage.
    Here's the finished bace model of my Rottweiler, will try and figure out how to model a low poly hand next, as that could prove to be quite a challenge.

rottweiler.jpg

This is a terrific thread Handlebar and I'm sure it will become a classic in time. Keep up the good work. I'll post something later.
    '===
    (@o o@
    \ -/
    If the wise man doesn't approve; bad.
    If the simpleton applauds; worse

great work man. You open my eyes And here is my picture
    topology_face.jpg

Last edited by krysar; 04-03-07 at 03:01 AM.

krysar, that looks wonderful...would you post a picture of that head with polyframes off? I'd like to see it smoothed.

handlebar, you've started a very informative and interesting thread here. I keep trying the methods you are showing and have not had the same success, but I'm sure it's just a matter of practice. Do you find that it's best to only add the eyes in the initial zif, or do you recommend doing the muzzle/mouth area as well? I have found that the more loops I add in the zif stage, the more 5 point intersections I get, and that causes me problems.

How would you suggest dealing with this?

heads again.jpg

Cool, lookin forward to seeing more from you folks.
    Krysar, that's a mesh to be proud of, and its great to see the progress shots.
    Slosh, the reason that i only add the eyes to the original zsphere model is to avoid the problems with six point poles, and it also gives me a choice of polys to extrude the ears from. I will put a little tut together on my thinking behind box modeling in zbrush and to clarify why i do things, i think if you understand the simple concepts first the penny will drop.

Here's my first go at modeling a hand in zbrush, lightning fast to do, and all thanks to Lemo for his guitar tutorial that you will need to watch to understand the principles.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=43175
    I haven't tweeked anything into shape yet, just created a good platform to work from.

hand.jpg

Thanks Lemo.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast