ZBrushCentral

A Stonecutter Experiment... 'Noir For A New Age'

This is the result of a 'side-trip while working on another piece…
It uses one model, some trick lighting and fog stuff, and the original is on the left.
The title indicates a little ‘re-visit’ of my ‘Noir World’ piece from way back when, that is probably vanished in the mists of time here by now…
I thought of the progression consciously, so the three images in one is deliberate… :wink:

Happy Weekend…
:cool:

Cool Stonecutter!

Nice to see you are still floating around here too!

looks FUN-tastico, Stonestamper :smiley:

Almost missed this, was in shock over a pig.
Beautiful work.
Model reminds me of someone.
Zasu Pitts?

Nicely done, Stonecutter. I like the line effect in the hat. 50.

Quel charmant “bibi” :wink:
Pilou
What a charming “hat” :wink:

Thanks for the comments of those who were interested… :cool:
The lines on the hat come from the Alpha used in the fog, and in fact the ‘experiment’ here was to do a dramatic lighting, desaturate that image, and apply thin glazes so the combination of the pale tints, and the lighting effects could give a ‘retro modernism’…
Although I’m not 100% satisfied, it was fun to make the attempt… :wink:

And for Frenchy, here’s the hat, made from 6 ZSpheres…I left it undetailed, but as you can see, building a hat this way allows a lot of flexibility, and this one hat could become any hat, with a minimum of work.

Hey! Nice Michael. I always enjoy the outcome of your experiments. And the hat is pretty neat.

:smiley: Mak

stonecutter…one question…did you use any pics in the gdi or gsi of the lighting or is it all painted on? I have some cool ideas about using those but any tips would help if that is the direction you were experimenting in.

thanks for sharing this experiment with us.

Stonecutter! I absolutely love these hats! I can just picture it… a little fuzzy material… forgot what they call that… anyway, maybe a light blue ribbon would look nice :slight_smile: great modeling!

wenna

I love the hats, could you please show how you set up the Z-spheres to make the hat. BTW the fuzzy material for hats is called “Felt” very popular in my day. lol :wink:

Fedora? for some reason that name resonates in my feable brain cell.

Great hat modeling SC! Will have to try to accessorize some of my characters with a hat…will make my zombie league more fashionable :slight_smile:

I really like your modeling and painting on this one. Her eyes remind me of Kat’s.

Nice to see you posting :+1: :+1: :+1:

And dont feel too badly about works fading into Zmists. I have found many works have disappeared when I click on my favorites/bookmarks, by many talented people. Very sad. :angry: :frowning: :angry:

Aminuts: The only place there are textures and/or alphas, are in the fog channel…
The lighting is actually a relatively simple 4 light setup I use, which I can modify slightly, but get a lot of variation. :wink:

Here’s a ‘step-by-step’, done very quickly of this method of hat construction…Obviously, I took no great care to keep the points aligned or anything, but it works for a Monday…
Thanx again for the interest.
:cool:

lol suited up?
Nice tut :slight_smile:
Hey why not add a feather on the side of the hat? just a suggestion u know 1930’s lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool thanks Stonecutter…now that I re-read the thread…you said they were in the fog channel…dohhhhhh. Now I gotta go play with all three…woo hoo!

Hi Stone
Somptuous Panama’s Tut :+1:
Pilou

Really great Michael !! :smiley: :+1:
Well done bud !! :wink:

Thanks so much for posting how you made these hats! I really love them.

ps…thanks Sprite, it was driving me crazy… chalk it up to sometimers disease… lol