Default Tribute to Bill Watterson

I was looking for a character design to cut my teeth on that would give me an oportunity to utilize some of the features of this fantastic software, and this guy turned up in one of my Calvin and Hobbes collections.

spacesquid.jpg

Member Follow User Gallery

This is my first "finished" model in zbrush. I know I could tweak this or any other model till I died and they would never be really finished. Sometimes you've just got to move on. I'd still welcome any constructive criticism. (Heck, if Monstermaker flamed me I'd probably print the post and frame it.)

I've been lurking in the shadows here for a couple of years now, and now that I've finally got my hands on a copy of zbrush, I guess it's time to establish a presence. The artists here have been a huge inspiration to me.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hello.

I think the image is quite neat really and welll crafted. The material is good.

My only crit, would be that the face is very difficult to make out clearly.

Paul.
    Grab some of my piano music/guitar music and flute music for free as sheet music at
    http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/pianoedition
    see you there

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

LOL! Cool, a Calvin & Hobbes monster! What a great idea. I love those comics. I'd say go on with it: give it some texture, color, maybe some eyes if it has any. Maybe you can make it more... crisp, sharper, more defined, detailed.
    Also you could give it some object from the real world, like a ruler (Calvin's teacher), a cup of coffee, or a tie or something? Or a big spear or a 50's futuristic laser gun?

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks! I've always thought that Bill Watterson has been under rated as a fantasy and sci-fi artist. It's easy to lose track of how cool some of his images are in context of his "Sunday funnies" medium.

As for the face-eyes, this is actually pretty close to the original creature. In the strip, the "Space Squid from planet Mok" emoted entirely with his mouth. On some level that's what attracted me to this particular design... I felt that as a starter, he'd be easier to work with.

If I were to continue with this guy, I'd probably try to stay in context of the comic strip that I got him from. If I remember correctly, he represents Calvin's Mom as she tries to wash his hair. I'm a bit wary of trying to pose him yet... mind you I'm still quite a noob, but after some texture work and the dreaded export to Maya, I'd like to make an environment for him and give him a proper render. We'll see.
    If my goal was photorealism, I'd be a photographer.