ZBrushCentral

New stuff in Z3 - torso study

I sculpted a cylinder for the body with no regard for edge loops. I followed that up with the retopology tool - awesome. It’s such a freeing work flow. Used subtools and mesh extraction for the extras. Lazy mouse for wrinkles and stiching, tiling alphas for a little cloth texture and skin pores. Lots of fun!TorsoStudy.JPG

nice one but the bra looks painful :slight_smile:

[attach=57486]anatomy_1.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

anatomy_1.jpg

Top Left - basic sculpt.
Top center and right - couple skin shaders and some extractions
Bottom - retopologize and soften
[attach=57487]torso_wip.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

torso_wip.jpg

Subtools are so great.

hooded2.jpg

i like your male study some bigger pictures pls :slight_smile:

Here you go! Didn’t work blow the elbows or the knees much. This was for an anatomy discussion/ modeling I had with a friend about a week ago.

Character prototype[attach=57496]stacheBust.JPG[/attach]

Attachments

stacheBust.JPG

Really like the last character. Very realistic. Keep’em coming. :+1:

…which is why the neck is so smooth. For this test I deleted the subdivs so I could add the eyes back into the mesh to transpose together. Without spending too much time on the test I masked off the polys and reposed the head, I smoothed out some anomalies on the neck area. I won’t export this posed so I didn’t spend any time on the sculpt in this pose. I like what a little posing does for getting a feel for the character.tPoseBust.jpg

>>For this test I deleted the subdivs so I could add the eyes back into the mesh to transpose together.

You do not have to delete subdiv, simply make sure that the eyes have the same number of subdiv then insert the mesh. If you do this, you will have a combined mesh with all the original subdiv levels intact and you can transpose the combined mesh in a lower subdiv level.

So, it is the mis-match beween subdiv levels which makes them incompatible for mesh insertion. Now that you say it, it makes so much sense! Thank you for the reply!

I reconstructed subdivs on the eyes and made them match the number of subdivs on the head (6 in this case). Then I cloned the eyes, deleted them as subtools, and inserted them as meshes. Then the eyes and head are all capable of moving up and down through the subdivs, like Aurick said, and it’s sweet! I went ahead and reposed it using the much softer gradient mask I can easily get from lower poly mesh, and posed it up. The neck details are maintained, and the sterno-cleido mastoid even seems to deform like a muscle. Zbrush rocks, no doubt.tpose.jpg

looks great!

Are you able to get the topology going over subtools? What I mean is I have a guy with jacket…when i go to do topology on him it only does body…not jacket. Does this happen to you?

There is also a recent post into the end of this thread, which discusses that…

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=45640

I’ll let you know what I find :slight_smile:

Here’s a quick test. I didn’t set up the best retopolgy flow, but there are a few little spikes that I can’t explain. I think it’s worth trying out on other models. You could combine all your extractions and make one normal map, eh? I think it’ll be there soon. I belive they are still working on a couple things, based on that other thread…retopoSubs.jpg

This software can create anything I like your work.

These are really incredible sculpts. Great head poses too. They seem to have a life to them.

Really nice stuff. I don’t understand all this topology stuff . I tried to do the tutorial but I couldn’t work out what I was doing with all the bone like wireframe stuff. Also what’s the difference between using the eyes as a subtool and using them as a normal mesh? I’m confused.

pete B

One of the main things you get with the subtools is about polycount and performance. Essentially , you only pay the cost of the polycounbt of your current subtool so dividing up the mesh makes it easier to work with much denser models overall. It also allows you to use multiple levels of resolution on just that subtool. You really don’t need to up res your eyes that much for them to be used to show the volume of the eyeball and you can model you eye socket and lids around that form.

The retopolgy stuff is amazing in that it allows you the freedom (especially with the much higher polycounts that ZB3 gives us) to model free from having to worry about the technical aspects of a cleanly deforming mesh, or a more optimum poycount to capture your details (edges for movement and for contour and silhouette to quote Bay Raitt). You explore to the nth degree and the work isn’t lost becuase you can refine you r sculpt without knowing in advance what the surface would look like and when you’re finished you can create a new mesh based on the sculpt which has all the technical details of an efficient, well deforming mesh but still has all your details in it to take to another app for game or film work.

The earlier question was about that process when you are trying to capture the details from multiple subtools, or multiple mesh components of one subtool into a single final mesh.

Hope this helps! There’s a great topology thread running around here and some stuff on the wiki as well if you want to know more.

Hope this helps!
-R