ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 3.0 Collection: Indecom4000

Hey, guys. I am just going to use this thread to post the stuff i make with ZBrush 3.

The first one is a tough-guy type of head, good for maybe a marine in a futuristic fps. Also my first experiment with ZB3, gotta love the new alpha functions!

![tuf_guy2.jpg|437x715](upload://hsgxFvBYQXLRsafzqtv95FH0Ux9.jpeg)

And here is the sequential video i made showing how i did that model:
Youtube.com

ps, i realise that his eyes are a bit too wide, i may fix that later.

Attachments

tuf_guy1.jpg

tuf_guy3.jpg

tuf_guy4.jpg

Here are some more shots of the same head. I have figured out the Hi-def sculpting mode and have totally taken advantage of it, that and sculpting with alphas. It makes me glad i dont need to open up the projections master to achieve great results. Production time has been greatly increased:

tuf_guy_new1.JPG

So, what do you guys think of my first run with the new features? Crits welcomed.

Attachments

tuf_guy_new2.JPG

tuf_guy_new3.JPG

tuf_guy_new4.JPG

So, umm. I guess its perfect if no one has any complaints.

the first thing that comes to my mind is that the nose is weired. It looks like the skin needs to be tighter in that area.

Also the shin under the moth seems to turn up in a funny way.

After saying this I want to add that I do enjoy this sculpt.

Thank you for your crit, insightful. I may get the skin tightened up in the nose a bit later, but i feel like moving on to the next sculpt as soon as i get normal mapping to actually do something with this one so i can test it out in realtime.

The next model i think will be more of a destructive bruiser type of head sculpt, maybe with an actual torso attached. Think space marine meets the hulk.

sounds good

i have the second head started. but need to take a break to work on sumthing not human for a while. all the human features are giving me a head ache.

Here is the next wip, into the high-def phase, got the mug done, just need to do the rest of the head.

ogle_hdwip.JPG

Crits welcome and all that jazz!

Okay, so I am starting a project to improve my modeling, my rigging and animation, and also to create a complete first person shooter game, probably restricted to just a few levels for now.

The Project: Id: The Game!

• The Basis:
  • [list]
  • Create an action packed gory first person shooter game inspired by the best that Id Software has ever provided us over the years.

• The Elements:

• Inspirations will draw from Id Softwares Best first person shooter games Including but not limited to:
    • [list]
    • Wolfenstein/Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    • Doom 1/2/3
    • Quake 1

[/list]
  • The Technical Features:

• All characters and models will be made from scratch, redone with a style mixed, similar to the style used in Quake but redone to take advantage of the latest graphics hardware.
    • Advanced shader technolegy will play a mojor role to add to the realism and increase the atmospheric effects. Things such as normal mapping, stencil shadows, and possibly fresnel water shaders and Sub surface scattering for the ultimate monster skin.
    • In game motions will all be controlled via the newton physics sdk. Forget what you know about game animations and raycasting or sliding bsp collisions. The players feet will determine how they get around. With a hand coded animation system that will take control of the characters bodies, motions will automatically be effected by the various hazards that plague the way. Things like bullet fire and falling debree will cause the characters bodies to react reallistically every time.
    • Tired of missing your legs? Not in this game. Although you play in first person, your character will be fully aware of their body. The game camera will be attached to the players rigged and animated body. Move the mouse and the players whole upper torso will bend and twist to show you the way. No more static head. Watch as a demon slashes at your legs as you stumble to the ground with realistic ragdoll physics!

[/list]Okay, enough of the teasing you with all these gameplay jumbos, it time to show off some wip models:

The first model in progress is the Chaingun Cammando Zombie from doom. It takes much of its inspiration from the original doom series, chunky in stature. I am currently only at resolution level one as istarted it today. I use the super average male figure as a base, got to love those included meshes.

Id_commando1.JPG

I will frequently update this post with my new models as I get to them, so you wont have to search the whole thread for my latest works, just look here.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Id_commando2.JPG

I have something i would like to say. I know that I am not the best Z sculpter. But I try. I like to make things that people will enjoy. I havent even had zbrush for a year yet, but i think my progress has been good. It just saddens me when people come in to look at my stuff and will take the time to say that it is crap by giving me a low rating, but they wont take the time to at least explain why, or what they dont like so that i can improve. Not even the best sculptors here started out the best. They need to work their way up, like I am trying to do. I know that i dont suck at this, so why wont anyone at least give me a sentences worth of crits? I feellike i am being shoved aside for no reason.

I just ask that if you are going to take the time to give me a rating of one or two, or even less, whatever, can you tell me whats wrong? It is a common courtesy that i have seen in many other threads, but I’m not getting it here.

I dont mean to whine, i just want to improve and no one out their wants to help me, except for LittleDedder, the only person to tell me whats up.

Indecom4000- I briefly saw your first model you posted here thought it looked pretty nice and see that you are progressing nicely. Figure i’d pop back in and see whatcha got.

Would be nice if folks mentioned why they rated a thread low but that would mean folks would actually have to reply to a thread. I find that doesn’t seem to happen a lot. Ratings I don’t really feel appropiate gauge a thread anyways. As for no one replying… sometimes no news is good news. Least that is the best way to look at it cause sometimes you get 5000 + views and only 10 replies. Keep it working hard and keep posting! :+1: :+1:

I like the idea ya got, run with it see where it gets ya :smiley: You got a good start there :+1:

Thanks for the incouragement. I understand that rating something is easy, and that rating something low is probably even easier. But, at least with a comment i can see where they are coming from. It is really the only way to improve. I mean, i see many threads being pulled back to the top of the list, granted they are mostly better than me, but. I am trying.

Anyways, thanks for the comment.

Don’t be disheartened! As much as most of the ZB community here rocks, this is still the internet, so you have to deal with the occasional bad apple. For some people, giving someone 1 or 2 stars for no reason is the highlight of their day.

For others, it’s about striving to become a better artist or actually sharing with the community by providing thoughtful feedback, offering advice, or creating mind-blowing work that inspires all of us.

I think you’re work is good. Better than average, so don’t let a silly star rating get you down. It’ doesn’t represent what the majority of people think and it’s not statistically significant anyway.

You can kinda tell when a star rating means something… and that’s when the ZBrush gods produce mind blowing work and everyone and their uncle gets in line to give 'em 5 stars.

In any case, it’s not at all about stars. It’s about creating cool stuff. Learning, striving to get better, sharing, and doing the best you can.

The other problem with ZBCentral is that I think many people are intimidated to post work because so much of what is posted in mind-blowing. Much of it by professionals. And when that happens, you’re looking at work that is way better than average and it’s easy to get caught up in the “damn, will I ever be that good?” mentality. At least, that’s what I think. :slight_smile:

Otherwise, just keep on doing what you’re doing!

As for feedback… I think there are so many posts that go by on a daily basis here that many folks just don’t have the time to leave much feedback. I read a lot of posts and view a lot of work regularly, but I only leave feedback on about 10% of it…that’s all I have time for.

And the really good advice/feedback, that takes a lot longer to write than it does to say, “WOW”, or “Your work rocks”, etc.

In any case, bottom line, this is the internet! :slight_smile: You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Stars included.

PS. I took another look at your work… there’s really nothing wrong with it. It’s quite good and pretty cool, actually. I think the thing that’s nailing you a little bit is presentation. For example, your first model could look awesome with a great texture and a few tweaks…but that’s why it’s work in progress.

Same with your other models. No, they’re not mind-blowing yet, but they could be if you continue working on them and finish 'em off.

One little note… beware of symmetry. While most models start out symmetrical, once you get to detailing, that’s something you want to remove. I noticed that a lot of your alpha work is mirror from one side of your models to the other…that’s a distraction. Just my 2 cents!

Oh, and all your dudes need eyes! The holes in the head are taking away from the sculpts. :slight_smile:

Thanks, i made eyes for the first guy, but later on. I am mostly working with these for ingame models using normal maps, so eyes wont really be added until i get the low rez models all normal mapped. And, as i said, textures will come, but I am mostly trying to refine my sculpting, the latest guy will have textures and clothes and weapons and animations, but up to now, I am just building tho body over which those textures and clothes will go.

hey im definitely interested in how your game turns out. im trying to make a game with a few people using microsofts xna platform. your idea sounds cool and it seems youre pretty confident about pulling it off. cant wait for updates.
    peace.

thanks, it will definately be a learning experience, but it should take me too much work to pull it off, i know that all thewe things are in my reach. So nothing i have said is out of the question for me. The most difficult part will be setting up the motion/animation system using newton physics. I will do some simple tech demos first, then integrate them into the game.

I will post another wip shot in just a few minutes.

well, here is the finished body an head, just need to model the clothes and the gun.

What do you think, crits and all.

Id_commando3.JPG

Attachments

Id_commando4.JPG

Id_commando5.JPG

i like. really interested in seeing the game-ready model (normal mapped, rez’d down geometry etc).
    so im assuming your background is in programming then if you dont consider what youre planning on achieving to be out of reach?