ZBrushCentral

Chinese Folktale:God of Marriage

This is my first post after I started learning Zbrush at Gnomon(Thanks Meats!) 2 years ago.I was busy with academic stuff in SCAD(graduated in March) and now starting to utilise my free time (while looking for job in LA) to work on something new.I am always a fan of chinese folktale and it is not unusual for me to start one.Below are some basic information about this character.

This piece took me around 2 weeks because I have to spend time learning Zbrush 3.Rendered in Mental Ray and some photoshop touchup and compositing.
[[occlusion_zbrushcentral2.jpg]occlusion_cgchannel.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘59912’,‘occlusion_zbrushcentral2.jpg’,1,0))
another update.made some changes on the moon

God of Marriage
The Old Man in the Moon or the God of Marriage is Yue-lao, who bears the weighty responsibility of deciding all mortal marriages. That means the marriage of any couple in the world have been prearranged by him. Yue-lao ties the future husband and wife together with an invisible silken cord that never breaks as long as life lasts. At the appropriate time, the cord brings the predestined mates together and they wed! This has been a subject of Chinese poetry and song since the ancient times.

[[attach=59123]zbrushsnapshot.jpg[/attach]]zbrushsnapshot.jpg

Critiques and comments are welcome.thank you.
www.chunseong.com

Attachments

godofmarriage.jpg

occlusion_low res.jpg

I really like your use of color. Nice job :wink:

Great sculpting! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

I love the look of the old man’s robes - it’s a shame a lot of the detail is lost in the render.

Can we see some close-ups of the man? Thanks.:smiley:

The colours and composition are excellent too.

Top Row stuff if you ask me. 5 stars too.

Jit.

WOW!!!
It is my goal to produce vibrant illustrations of this quality. Great work.

thanks guys for the comments…
these are the closeup
a lot of detail is gone when I brought displacement to MAYA…
[attach=59534]occlusion_closeup.jpg[/attach]
[attach=59139]closeup2.jpg[/attach]
updated!

Attachments

closeup1.jpg

closeup2.jpg

occlusion_closeup.jpg

Amazing work!

I like the details in your model and the color that you are using.

Looking forwards to see your new masterpiece. Goodluck to your job search.

WOW .Lovely Work . I like the colors u have used fantastic. :+1:

It’s beautifull! Also thanks for the background information; it’s great to learn new ancient tales. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Only crit I have is that when first I looked at the image I felt that the foreground and background weren’t connected. Maybe it’s the lighting or the sharpness, I can’t really tell. It was just a thought.
Looking forward to seeing more images made by you.

This is really wonderful work, dncs. I love every detail, right down to the walking stick he is carrying.

toprow for me!
Andreseloy

Looks really nice & magicall! Thanks a lot for sharing :slight_smile:

Jaxx

I’m a new member. Its a dream to me to do like yours… Congrat…

Very nice! I love the atmosphere you have created! Magical ist just the right word to describe it! :+1:

lol Although I’d probably run from the guy like hell, should I see him approach me! :wink:

Dncs_83- Great image, very kewl sculpts, good composition and displacement of color usage. Best thing is you have nice background with details but kept it nice soft colors so it doesn’t take away from your main image. Hard thing for most to do since its easy to get caught up in taking every element to its most. Got my 5 stars :+1: :+1:

great work, i love the compsosition. I went to SCAD also, did you graduate yet?

abone114:yeah.I graduated 2 months ago.now hunting for job.so when did u graduate anyway?how’s life in digital domain?

plakkie:I am having some technical difficulties rendering layers in Maya… still experimenting to make this image better

thanks for comments…i will keep working

great, well good luck with that, it took me about 9 months to find a job after college to keep at it, you’ll get something soon enough. haha i should update my profile, im no longer at digital domain, im at a broadcast design company called yU+co now as a maya generalist. what are you looking to get into? modeling? or what?

[occlusion.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘59535’,‘occlusion.jpg’,1,0))
Spent almost one day to experiment and rendering ambient occlusion in Maya.Getting displacement with occlusion is somehow complicated,I got it anyway.Check out the main page for the updated version.

thanks for reply abone114,I am looking forward to character modeling right now.but i will take any chances to start with…so it is tough to be maya generalist?

www.chunseong.com

Very Nice! Love the use of color, very fun and well finished image. 5 ***** :+1: :slight_smile:

[[attach=59876]occlusion_cgchannel.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘59876’,‘occlusion_cgchannel.jpg’,1,0))
another update…changes on the moon

Attachments

occlusion_cgchannel.jpg