ZBrushCentral

INVASION! (Complete)

Hey guys,

Well, this is my second complete pic made in Zbrush 1.51

Hope you like it :smiley:

BTW, please comment, good or bad! :slight_smile:

• Shane

Creative -colorful and eerie ! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hmmm very interesting especially the flying things (I can’t figure out if they are ships or creatures or a bit of both) :slight_smile:

:+1:

I like the scene overall…it’s just that…well…the planets look like stop lights in space. Other than that…good show!

Loqutos

I like the piece over all, the shippey things could use a bit moe detail

The image could use some depth.

Try to work on the star field, by adding several layers of dimmed out stars.

The glow on the planets or the suns or what they are, could use some work too… Remember that space is cold and cold is blue/slightly purple. And space is huge, so you might want to lower the glow as light in space travel over a looooong distance and here by fade in intensity.

Just my thoughts…

Have fun :slight_smile:

EDIT : Just thought I would create a starfield for you to see what I meen by depth in the stars. Feel free to use this image:

Kindly

Dimoe

:qu: Dimoe,

Which tool do you recommend for painting stars, and which for the subtle glow. I’ve been using the brush, with a dotted alpha and the DragRec tool. I have no idea how to get glows. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

Actually I painted that star background in Maya using its paint effects tool and it took like 4 mins to create (im not kidding).

I know its a zbrush forum, but I believe in using a tool for whatever its best for. So mixing tools to get the result you want is the way IMHO. But maybe some zbrush guru could give some tip on creating a star field ?

If I were you, I would make the background in either:

1. photoshop, using multiple layers of stars, with different transparancy - or use the same approach in Zbrush (im still a zbrush n00b so I dunno if it can, and I cant tell you what too to use exact) - but a small simplebrush would be my first guess.

2. If you have access to Maya, use its Paint Effects tool. I have yet to see a program that can create space scenery like Maya PFX.

3. There are probarbly some star field generators you can download on the internet somewhere. And probarbly one that can generate an accurate one too :stuck_out_tongue:

4. go to nasa.com and look at their images of the day.

I hope it helped a little…

Fill a layer with the Darkest blue, using fill layer, and Flat Color Material…Now usng the Shading Enancer, and the highlighter, go over it to bring up the color a little at a time…This works for me…

That’s the method I used for the starfield in the lower part of this detail, and also for the face in the sky, although I used the darkest shade of different colors…The trick is to go to Render->Adjustments, and jack up the brightness so even using the darkest shades, you can see where you are applying the color…Then when you’re done applying the color, turn the brightness back down to default level…Now your screen looks black but you can use the SE and highlighter to bring up stars, nebulae, whatever, and you can add white or pale blue stars with RGB only, and ZAdd off th finish…And the ‘flaring’ can be done using the same brushes… :wink: (Turn the Render->Adjustments->Brightness up temporarily if you need to refresh your memory where you put a particular color…)

very nice image Mr.z…reminds me of some of the organic ships on Babylon5…

Dimoe…thnx for the gracious gift…I am sure I will use it at some point…

Ahhh Good idea to do it that way, Stonecutter…

Ron : No problem - feel free to use it, and im sorry that the image is that large, but I thought if it should be of any use for people, it should be that size.

Kindly

Dimoe

nice pic!

btw…stone cutter i would love to see the full picture u put there…i have an old version of it and im pretty curious about it :slight_smile:

Hey Hydra, it will be the background wall mural for the scene I’m doing called ‘Trayn Of Thot’ on which I’m doing a walkthrough of the process to model a complete ‘R. Crumb’ type cityscape scene…When I put the character into the background the painting will be ‘trashed’ but I’ll be posting the 'un-trashed version there as well… :wink:

Check that thread for when I post it. I’m posing and detailing the character I illustrate on the thread today, and hope to post him in front of the wall mural pretty soon now…

You can also used the spray brush (not colorized) with the teeny tiny alpha that looks like a pinpoint (#40), and the alpha #4 for the clouds/nebulae. This works very well,IMHO.

Yep, that works really nicely as well, Slosh!
:sunglasses: :+1: :sunglasses:

Thanks guys for the tips & tactics :smiley:

I think I’m going to redo the image, since I now know how to do a proper starfield.

Thanks for all the comments, I do appreciate them, both good + bad.

• Shane

ah, thats a very nice one i missed! :+1: :+1: :+1: mr.Z!

Dimoe, your galaxies are wonderful and Michael your tip (and result) look great - as does Slosh’s sprayed nebulae, though i miss a lil sparkling in the stars. just to you know, WingedOene (and Muvlo) have created a very handy script for painting stars

• juandel