ZBrushCentral

Building My Portfolio

Greetings everyone. I’ve been working in 3D for about two years now with the hopes of landing a job in the game or film industry as a character artist, and my work is finally starting to get to the point where I think that might be a reality. So I’ve decided to start building my portfolio and hopefully I’ll have it online and complete sometime this month or the next at the least. I’ve already built a lot of stuff so I’m at the point where I just need to select some of my better works and refine them. I’d really appreciate constructive criticism on any of the characters and also input on which ones you like the most (I’ll probably only have around 6 pieces total in my portfolio).

These are just two studies in animal anatomy. My goal was to achieve a nice flow of their complex forms and musculature.

A frogman based off the fantastic Guild Wars concept art. I don’t really have much experience texturing, but polypainting made it easy for me to quickly lay down a nice early coloring.

A tyrannosaurus.

And an ogre (kind of Gears of War inspired).

I’ve got a lot more work to show but I didn’t want to make this first post too big. I hope you all enjoy my work and I look forward to your comments.

cool stuff…keep at it!

if possible would love to see before zb and after pics next go around…you don’t have to I just like to see how folks approach things.

keep z’in

Wow, i love the orc and the paint of human-frog.

good work…the material is great too can u drop the material file for the community

These are all nice models, and I hate to nitpick, but the horses hooves. A horse has a single toe. Check out a reference photo. This looks more like a deer. As I said, nice models and I hated to nitpick, but I saw that immediately.

I noticed the hoof as well too. Goats, Deer, etc have cloven hooves, but not horses :slight_smile:

The ogre is awesome, definitely my favorite out of the ones you posted. Although the detail needs to be a bit more consistent. IE) tone down the detail in the face, or bring the body up to the same level. It looks like you put a lot of work into the face, and then rushed through getting the body finished. In either case, it still looks great… but if you’re looking for an area to tighten up, that’s what I’d do :smiley:

Thanks for the comments everyone, the feedback has been very helpful.

aminuts - The next time I get a chance I’ll make a timelapse to show my process. Basically though, I start off with a very low resolution base and go from there. All the humanoid characters I’ve made recently have been from the same base mesh.

The_Geeks - Here’s the material. It’s a modified version of Ralf’s mudbox material, so all the credit goes to him.

DMerchen - That’s not nitpicking at all; that’s exactly the kind of feedback I need. I can’t believe I missed such an obvious error on the hoof, but I’ve gone back and corrected the model and updated the image also.

eldee.s - You’re right. Looking at the ogre I can definitely see the disconnect between the detail of the body and the head. These pieces are still a bit rough so that’s partially the reason, but you pointing it out has made the flaw clear to me now.

Here’s one more character before I go to bed. His arms/legs are still quite rough.

edit: Images removed for future update.

I like your style, nice work.

awesome models…like the latest one (the orc and the big monster…this mudmaterial works really well with those!

Thank you for the comments.

I wanted to work on my hard-surface modeling some more along with integrating it into an organic figure. With this character I first sculpted the general form and then I made a layer (to delete later) where I started sculpting on the hard-surface details. I exported this layer to a traditional modeling package and used it as a template to build the final hard-surface elements which I then imported back into Zbrush. I also took another swing at polypainting with this one. [<!--[attach=60692]oneye1.jpg[/attach]-->](http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:zb_insimg%28%2760692%27,%27oneye1.jpg%27,1,0%29) [<!--[attach=60693]oneye2.jpg[/attach]-->](http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:zb_insimg%28%2760692%27,%27oneye1.jpg%27,1,0%29) [<!--[attach=60694]oneye3.jpg[/attach]-->](http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:zb_insimg%28%2760692%27,%27oneye1.jpg%27,1,0%29) [<!--[attach=60695]oneye4.jpg[/attach]-->](http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:zb_insimg%28%2760692%27,%27oneye1.jpg%27,1,0%29) It's still a tad rough. I'm mainly trying to resolve the design of the hands and face of the character.

hi i realy love your style amazing job,when i look your sculpting it look like Kolby Jukes stylewww.kolbyjukes.com
continue on this line very impressive style i love it

are you modeling these from a drawing or is this all in your head?

great concepts man. bravo.

Aside from the frogman, all of these were done from my head. Thanks to tools like transpose it’s easy to start with a very simple mesh and concept on the fly. All my humanoid characters were done from this basemesh (including the frogman, which was radically different from the base):

[

](http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:zb_insimg%28%2760696%27,%27basemesh.jpg%27,1,0%29)basemesh.jpg

your sens of form is outstanding! really impressive work!!
keep posting :slight_smile:

first post
realy great work :slight_smile:

Absolutely amazing work and I guess you won’t have to wait long to land in a job.

Awsome man!

wow!! really cool characters!!

Alex Oliver

Really well crafted models, very fleshy… I am sure you won’t look around for too long :wink: