ZBrushCentral

Tablet PC problems. Anyone else?

I put ZB3 on my gateway convertable tablet/laptop. When I use the pen on my screen I either get a crash or graphical errors.

For example, if I go into rapid UI and just try to rotate the sphere, the entire sphere disapears. Or if I go into rapid UI and try to draw on the sphere ZB will crash.

If I don’t use the pen at all ZB works just fine.

I’m using a Gateway CX2726. Anyone else having trouble with a tablet PC?

Hey sneezymarble I use z3 on my Toshiba R25 tablet PC, and I don’t have the problems you are describing at all. When I was looking into buying my tablet I read allot of really bad stuff about the pen driver that gateway is using, I would guess that it is actually the gateway pen driver that is causing the problem.

yeah I have a toshiba as well and have never had any problems.
maybe gateway has some newer drivers you could try?

Hmm… ZB3 runs smooth as on my acer c312xmi, I avoid quick ui altogether atm tho, there are still some issues with it…

Try standard ui and see if you get better results… otherwise I’d give some driver updates a shot

Good luck :+1:

Agreed, it’s gotta be the tablet pen driver. My acer works like a dream with ZB3.

Wow. Tablet PC usage has sure picked up around here!

When you’re on the go, it’s the best way to work.

Toshiba Laptop and Wacom Graphire 2 work fine here!

Andreseloy

As mentioned above, my R15 runs Z3 (practically) perfectly. I have the same Rapid UI and Symmetry issues that everyone else has, but other than that, the Toshiba drivers work fine.

I am going to get a Wacom pen very soon (for more accurate pen sensitivity) and THOSE drivers (the Wacom ones) are supposed to be even more stable than those normally shipped by the computer manufacturers themselves.
Perhaps you might give that a shot as well…

Best of luck,

~Angst…

I just wish there was a way you could drag a selection box around stuff without having to press CTRL+Shift so I don’t have to depend so much on an external keyboard.

…currently I’m using a separate USB keyboard which works fine but I know what you mean: it would be grand if I didn’t have to.

heavy sigh

Perhaps a MACRO could be written
(…but not by me… I’m a bass player…)

~Angst…

I’m using the same machine as Angst and have no issues beyond the ordinary.

Angst- a word of caution- most tablet pc’s aren’t meant to be used w/external graphics tablets. It can make your system unstable and cause conflicts with the pen drivers. Make sure you do your homework. :wink:

I’m running Zbrush 3 on my Toshiba Tecra M4, and don’t have any other problems than the known refresh issues etc in the current release.

It runs just as stable as on my normal pc…

No weird crashes yet…

Peter

i mapped the 5-way button on the screen of my tecra m4, works quite well for zbrush:

up: alt
right: ctrl+shift
down: ctrl
left: shift

as someone else mentioned, get the matching cintiq pen for your tablet pc. its a world of difference.

I use a SPaceTraveler with my M4, although it doesn’t work (yet) with zbrush 3, it has 8 configurable buttons.

I simply configured the most used button combo’s to the buttons.

The cintiq pen doesn’t work with the tecra tablet pc… tried it.

I would love to have a better duo switch eraser pen for my tablet pc, but they all have just 1 button.

I use the wacom driver… that does make a world of difference… as the original toshiba driver doesn’t support pen pressure.

Peter

Peter, are you using the Waccom tablet as well, or were you actually able to get the tablet pc to use the waccom drivers without the need for the external tablet? I’d love to know how you did that!

Hi,

No , I use WACOM drivers on my tablet pc… so no need for an external wacom device :wink:
I can’t remember exactly but I though I got them directly from the Wacom site.

Peter

Found 'em. Thanks Peter! :smiley:

@mestela

You say you use the buttons at the edge of the screen inside zbrush.

I also have a tecra M4, but if I setup my buttons… they do work in everything… but don’t work in Zbrush3… seems as if it’s ignoring them… …

So… do you actually have the buttons working in zbrush3?

Peter

Peter
I have a Tecra M7, so it may be a little different, but I have the 5 way button set up similarly and use it in zbrush3 just fine.

also, you can use a cintiq pen for you M4, just not the pen for the newer cintiq 21UX. you have to get one of the older ones for the smaller models either the 15X, 17SX, or 18SX. I have the one for the 18SX and use it as my main pen.