ZBrushCentral

modelling Poser clothing?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question; I am completely new to ZBrush.

Some of us over at Renderosity are wondering if ZBrush can be used to model clothing for Poser. I’ve searched the tutorials and this message board, but most ZBrush artists seem to do clothing by making it part of the figure, or by just modeling a plane to look like cloth. Is it just that most Zbrush users don’t use Poser, or is Zbrush simply not suited for making Poser clothing?

Can’t help with your question, since I don’t use Poser, but I can say ‘Welcome Aboard!’ :cool:

Thanks for the welcome. :slight_smile:

It seems there isn’t much overlap between ZBrush and Poser users. The ZBrush forum over on Renderosity is very quiet.

Most of the tutorials for making Poser clothing are for Truespace, Amapi, or Max, but there are a couple that claim to be for generic 3D modelers. In case it helps, I’ll quote what they say is required:

If you can create a cube, have confidence in positioning its corners, can sweep (loft, extrude) one face and draw extra lines upon it then you can do what I do. (Make Poser clothing)

and

any polygon modeler that supports subdivision surfaces (lw, maya, cinema4d, wings, anim8or, etc.) can be used

So what do you think? Can Zbrush do that?

I’m still getting the hang of this message board. I didn’t realize you could edit posts…

Hy randym77
I believe you can edit post in the 30 days that was posted.
Thanks for your attention

One approach to creating clothing would be to mask the areas that you don’t want and then perform an inflate deformation. Then you can invert the mask and delete the points. What will be left will strictly be the article of clothing, which will perfectly conform to the model. You can then edit it and add detail however you please.

Thanks, Aurick! Is it okay if I quote your reply on the Renderosity Zbrush board?

Hi Randym
Welcome aboard !
Take look Here !(bottom page)
I think that 's could be help you !
Have happy Zbrushing !
Pilou

Or (better yet), you can refer them here. :slight_smile:

FP, that is an awesome link. Thanks - it’s just what I was looking for.

Any idea if it’s possible to make looser clothing, like a skirt? Generally, something like that starts as a hollow cylinder or block. Can ZBrush generate those?

Aurick, will they need to register to read this thread?

Hi Randym
Yes
You have a primitive3D = cynlinder3D + hollow
Just change the Modifiers Sub Menu Initialize Numeric parameters !
Pilou
ps And if you slide the “Taper Top” you obtain a Cylinder3D in pyramidal form :slight_smile:
Pss And of course this object3D is entierly transformable in Edit Mode “T” with Push Pull :cool:

Better than the Cylinder3D for your needs is the SweepProfile3D. Here is an example, with the profile curve adjusted to give a skirt shape.

From here you could use masking, deformations, and sculpting to create pleats or whatever you like.

Hi Aurick
Great parchment paper style :wink:
Pilou
PS And sure Profil is more powerful :slight_smile:

How do you do the inflate deformation? Just trying to get a handle on ZBrush still. I still have figured out the mask system either but I am still learning :slight_smile: Thanks

Hi G of M! :wink:

If you draw an object on the screen, then go to ‘Edit->Draw’ mode, you hold the CTRL key down, and you can draw a mask on your object. If you start with a higher resolution mesh, you can use small brushes to apply very tight masking, and holding down the ALT and the CTRL key, you can remove masking…This makes possible a very tight mask.

ANdreAlphaMskng.TXT

Here’s a script to show masking (above)…
When you load it, and before you hit ‘play’, set ‘Show Actions’ on in the ZScript panel, and set ‘Replay Delay’ to at east 400. (The default is zero, and the slowest is 1000…) This will let you see what I’m doing.
Here’s what the script will produce…
This is just the result of masking, followed by inflating, a very common technique you’ll see used here…

I hope this gives you some creative ideas…
And ‘Welcome Aboard’!
:cool:

Okay … I am trying to get this but am still mostly in the dark about ZBrush … I can do morph targets etc but I sort of need to be walked through. ZBruh is really an odd little program to get the hang of for me. I am also not sure if CTRL is CTRL since I am on a Mac Ducks

How do you see the masks? I am use to seeing them in photoshop and things like that and I just want to check and see if it is working.

Also, where would I find the inflate portion? I am on 1.55b and just don’t see it but the menus are sometimes cryptic.

Thanks!

Masks appear as gray. To see what one looks like, have a mesh in edit mode, select any alpha, and press Tool>Modifiers>Selection>Alp. The currently-selected alpha will automatically be applied to the mesh, using its UV coordinates.

Inflate is in the Tool>Modifiers>Deformation sub-menu.

Is there a way to invert the mask? Just wondering … Think I have sort of figured it out :slight_smile: Thanks

Sure. Tool>Mofidiers>Selection>Inverse :slight_smile:

You can also store the mask there by turning it into an alpha, and then recall it by pressing the Alp button.

Thanks