ZBrushCentral

Centaurus Morosus, Jelmer Boskma

Started this guy, pre-zb3 release, but it was pretty much inevitable after I played around with it for a few minutes… Loving Zbrush 3 :+1:

Centaurus Morosus, calling this one done. A rather mysterious creature that owes his name to the mythological Centaur and more commonly known Walking stick insect (Carausius morosus).
Allthough it wasn’t my intent to build a horse body, I’ve been looking mainly at cammels, dogs and horses, and tried to come up with something fresh.
I have tried to bring as much life in to this character without painting or animating him.

Basemesh done in XSI, fleshed out in mudbox, posed, tweaked and detailed in Zbrush3, lit and rendered in XSI. Postwork in Photoshop.

Final Images:

Attachments

jelmer_centaurus.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous! Love it! Body seems a little compressed, but absolutely love his hands, torso and head. Beautiful.

Great detailing :slight_smile: the body seems a bit squashed though… I assume it’s cause of the concept. Are you going to work on normal/displacement maps on a low poly version ? I would be interested to see the displacement results in MR :slight_smile:

Lovely stuff Jelmer! . . . As always.
Great eye for detail…

Oh, I love this guy… :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks guys. It wasn’t my intent to build a horse body by the way. Just something with 4 legs. I have been looking at dogs, cammels and horses mainly, and tried to come up with something fresh.

Stunning work! That’s all I can say!

Wow, that is just amazing. Love the concept also, really top notch. :smiley:

Jelmer- Nice concept and nicely executed! I agree with seanforsyth about the body being compressed but when I look at the humanoidish top proportions and the different angles of the horse-like proportions it seems they work well together in a unique manner. Keep up the great work!! :+1: :+1:

I love this creature you have created. I wish there was more tutorials/videos out there on XSI. you should contact Gnomon workshop and see if you can do something for gnomonology, if youd like of course. id pay the 15-25 bucks to see how you went about creating this :wink: :+1:

HOLY CRAP!!! :eek: it’s ok I guess…

no crits just awsome

This is stunning. Agree about the body appearing a little compressed though.

hey jelmer, beautifull piece man, i love this guy!!! really nice shapes and details
i enjoy your work a lot man.

congrats!!!

can i see the base mesh?

WOW! This rocks! Everything is amazing but I think maybe the back legs should switch positions? Right now both his right legs are forward and both his left legs are back…shoudnt they be a bit more staggered the way a real horse would walk? Other than that, friggin fantastic! 5 Stars from me. :slight_smile:

It’s a cool sculpt and concept and shows plenty of sculpting talent…

Just a couple comments…

If you’re going for anatomical realism, there seems to be a discrepency between the lean-ness (body fat) of the humanoid part vs. the musculature of the equine part. To me, they look very disjointed.

I also agree with a previous commenter, that the pose is off, as in order to be horse-like, the front and rear legs would be staggered…but then, this is a mythical beast. Still, helps to mimic realism wherever possible.

Really nice work.

Thanks so much for the kind words guys!

Rynomyte, Zerodean: Excellent feedback on the pose, Changed the backlegs. New renders are up. Thanks for the eye!

Concerning the discrepency between the torso and body. I mainly just looked for a good rhythm and shape balance that appealed to me.
My first try at his body was actually based on a starving african donkey, but I didn’t find what I was looking for. Thanks for your thoughts!

Very inspiring work. My kind of style. Perfect anatomy. This should definitely make the top row.

Whoa…that’s purely amazing!! Very organic and natural look :+1: :+1:

wow, the head and body and hand is amazing. The horn is incredible! awesome job man. totaly awesome.

Thank you so much guys. Glad you like him :slight_smile:
Can’t believe all the kickass work on the forums here, these days.