ZBrushCentral

GorillaMantis

Working on this creature a few days now. Will probably swap out the wings for some big dragon type wings. 121 much appreciated.
gorillamantis5.jpg

Attachments

gorillamantis6.jpg

gorillamantis7.jpg

Right now the gorilla looks too foreign to the rest of the body. Even though this is really good modeling It really just doesn’t make visual sense. A gorrilla head just doesn’t have any reason being on there unless there is more integration between a mantis and a mammal. All logic aside, this is just not believeable visually either.

The modeling looks great, but I agree with epignosis. There is way too strong a contrast between the gorilla and mantis elements of the character. You need to have the two elements of the design inform eachother. The gorilla aspects should inform the mantis, and the mantis aspects should inform the gorilla. Your goal should be to avoid a clear dilineation between the two creatures, and instead combine them in such a way that it is impossible to tell where the gorilla begins and the mantis ends.

I’m gonna go ahead and agree with what’s already been said. Although it is a pretty cool and unique concept, the integration of the two beast could be better. And again, really great modeling… wow, there really was no point to me chiming in now was there. :confused: I said exactly what the last 2 users did… ahh well. It makes me feel important, and part of the community.:smiley: Good luck.

a gorilla praying mantis! that’s sick!

Bah, stray from the norm. I myself enjoy the spliced look.
The bandwagon is overated.

hahah mikala! You made my day dood. I feel that the stark contrast can also be a positive rather than a negative aspect of the character. Perhaps the gorilla genes are stronger and hence the reason more gorilla’esque features up top. I feel the torso/head makes sense as it stands and is something a bit different then the norm for sure. However, I agree in some regards with the crits though so going to see what I can’t do to make this more pallatable to the bandwagon :slight_smile: Definitly need to integrate the abdomen region better as it is just plopped in there for placeholder at the moment.

Check a mantis head reference…maybe enlarge the eyes or extrude some mantis jaws out of the open mouth…since all body shape genes are in one spot on the genome (the “homeobox”) its hard to make a real half 'n half splice out. Could use some love on the leg-body junctions, too, but I think the wings are right this way.

Gotta ride the bandwagon on this one…agree with adamlewis

:+1: :+1: :+1: for puttin’ your ideas down and out there

heya markkens,
already on it :slight_smile: Thanks for the reply. I was trying to avoid the typical hybridization that’s been done before so I’m going to make a version for the bandwagon and one for myself. Like with this bug eyed version it does make the hybrid seem more reality plausible. Perhaps there was a bit too much mantis in the gorilla version to begin with and that is why the majority didn’t quite feel it? Maybe it needed a lot more gorilla and a lot less mantis for the hybrid to sell. Bah, who knows! Hope you guys dig the update.
gorillamantis8.jpg

Attachments

gorillamantis9.jpg

Check the belly definition here:

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=62095

Not to make it too much like a mantis…

Really nice work. If I were you I would completely change the nose. Make it more alien-ish not gorilla like.

More alien like nose eh? That description will really help me create a better character for sure. Loving the abs on the one character that was linked as well. Overall, zbrush central just rocks! Thanks guys!

i really like of the sculpt ,i dont know about the concept yet,i guess taht you could try anothers ideas,i dont know,anyway great work!

Alex Oliver

Wow in that last post he looks like a roided up raging DJ!
The little mandibles look somewhat like mic’s. The eye lenses like futuristic sunglasses.
Either way you go it’s going to be fun!

I much preferred the original face. I’m not quite sure why, but it made the gorilla look quite despondent, which drew me into the character. Unfortunately, the mantis part (as currently is) really jarred and didn’t work for me.

Have you considered making the mantis part mechanical/bio-mechanical? I think that this would work really well with the amount of character you have achieved with the face.

I like the Mantis Jaw on this update, but the eyes are too much. Wicked awesome and I’m not quite sure how this could be physically plausable, but if you can get it on video, I’m sure you’ll make a killing. Kind of like the pig and the elephant. I’m assuming you used the same method, got them totally wasted and let mother nature turn it’s back.