ZBrushCentral

Wayne's Head Collection thread

[Zheadsculpt-sm.jpg]

I thought I’d start a thread for that most overdone of things the human head. Although we all do them and probably most people are sick to death of ‘standard heads’ etc, now that we have the zproject brush these heads can be of some use in the future. As they can be kept as a library of sorts for adding to future models.

So it seemed like a good idea (as I do rather a lot of heads to relax) to round the buggers all up in one thread lol. So here’s tonights offering, I do intend to take him futher to final render, and the neck hasn’t really been touched, this is still at the intermediate form stage at the moment.

Thanks to Ralph Stumph for upping the material.

Wayne…

That’s a good idea, and a great head to start with. :+1:

I look forward to seeing your collection as it grows.

By the way, can you point me to the thread where Ralph upped that material? (if not, can you up it?). That is a great material for skin.

Thanks in advance, Jit.

I can’t for the life of me find it now, so I’l attach it here…I hope Ralph doesn’t mind. Glad you liked the head, seemed like a good idea to stop a zillion wayne head doodle threads lol.

Wayne…

[Zheadsculpt-mini.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63162’,‘Zheadsculpt-mini.jpg’,1,0))

Looks cool
Nice Eyes :o)

[compositeb-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63200’,‘compositeb-sm.jpg’,1,0))

OK I did a quick texture for him and did a few minor tweaks. Decided to chance the eyes as the iris was way too big on the last one (was only a stand in anyway.) The neck is pretty bad at the back but thats no biggy to sort out at some point.
Enjoy

Wayne…

[nuketest.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63207’,‘nuketest.jpg’,1,0))

A quick few color corrections I did…not sure if I like this or the previous version better.

Wayne…

I like that painting !Great work,the first painted face has a stronger impact due to the lighting but the second has a more realistic look, to choose~dont ask me ! Modelled with great character ! I felt for someone his age perhaps even clean shaved his jaw flesh would be more course.Maybe Im wrong,just a first impression.
cal

you’re the man darth
i’m just getting into painting my head models and these look really good
only crit (jeees my ego lol) would be the ear which looks quite thick- like he’d just taken a pop or two or had been in a rubgy scrum for a little too long lol
hope to see lots more
cheers

[compbest-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63247’,‘compbest-sm.jpg’,1,0))

Thanks guys te crits were useful. :slight_smile: I find if you stare at a model for too long you can lose a little bit of your objectivity so its often nice to get a fresh pair of eyes on things.

Yep, you were spot on the money with that one…so I went back and thinned out the ears a bit. Seeems to remind me of someone I’ve seen on tv but I haven’t a clue who…stuff like that drives me nuts lol.
Enjoy

Wayne…

Wonderful sculpt and texture - keep it up.
Thanks for upping the mat too.
The head shows real character now.

Top Row material! 5 stars.

Jit.

wonderful head sculpt! :+1:

Looking really good Wayne, of all the images Post#5 is my personal favourite! Very, nice sculpt & render! I especially like your palette.

Spline

[comp2-sm2.jpg]

Another quick one for tonight, another one for the library. I didn’t work on the neck as once I eventually use this on another model it’ll need to be redone anyway to fit the body it would go on.
Enjoy

Wayne…

Another great head Wayne,the temples seem a little too in though(imo):)…

cal
ps have your tried brown iris’s on the black guy ?Just a thought.

[library2-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63383’,‘library2-sm.jpg’,1,0))

Did a little work on the shader and also brought the temples back out a bit (hand must have slipped with the tweak brush before render last night),so thanks calum. :slight_smile: Still al zb3 render wise…I’m trying to develope a fake sss effect workflow at the moment thats not overly complex and quick… this is my latest experiment on this front.

Wayne…

[_3-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63427’,’_3-sm.jpg’,1,0))
‘Library head’ 3

Another quick one more of a ‘standard youngish male’ for when needed.

Wayne…

Wow cool painting,I really like your methods ~really working well.Glad something Ive said helped someone here!The temples now are fixed on the previous head and I feel Ive contributed towards the growing world of 3d!lol!

Pleasure watching,
cal

[resculpt7-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘63511’,‘resculpt7-sm.jpg’,1,0))

I was not happy with the last head at all in hidsight, so decided to do a bit of a resculpt of it… hated the texture so I’ll redo that from scratch soon. I’m a bit happier with him now thankfully. (Note to self: do not model after day from hell. lol)

Wayne…

Hey man, I love the head, texture is coming together quite nicely. Don’t be too hard on yourself. One thing which has been bugging me though is the ears. Can we have a sideview? To me they feel like they don’t have a lot of depth. This might be your goal, just pointing out my view :smiley:

Keep it up, M

Ah yes the ears. :slight_smile: I’ll knock out and up a turntable a bit later so you can get a better look. Normally for these ‘library heads’, I keep the ears simple, mainly as the zproject brush doesn’t always transfer the details to them in the way I want it to, so as I’d end up redoing those again anyway I keep them to a simple-ish version of ears. (No point in sculpting something that wil get ‘lost’ in the sculpting process I feel anyway lol.)

I also dont often sculpt more than a very basic shape to the neck as it would need resulpting to make sure the transition works when stuck onto a body. Even so, the zproject brush saves one helluva lot of time . :slight_smile:

Normally when texturing heads I use a combination of photo refs and hand painting, but of late I felt I neded to sharpen up my hand texturing a bit, so thats why I’m concentrating on that at the moment. :slight_smile:

Wayne…