ZBrushCentral

Demoreel

Hi everybody,

I finally uploaded a final version of my demoreel to my website.
I already posted an older version some weeks ago, but this one got
some updates and improvements…

Most models are finished in ZBrush and rendered in XSI.
Hope you like it :).

www.daishisart.com

ciao,
Mathias

[demoreel_pictures.jpg]

Well I’ve seen thousands of demo reels, and you should perhaps take a look at some guides on the subject and at least look at some done by the more experienced people here on the forum and other places. Kill the fast paced music and volume, it isn’t helping.

If presentation is everything, you are limiting yourself.

I assume from posting here you are interested in modeling. You are not clear, here or on your site or in your video.

I do see a few things that show potential, again it really depends on what you are looking to do and in what market. Your 3 Flaps character is your best as it is original looking and has a more relaxed feel. Almost everything else is too perfect, too plastic and makes the viewer wonder what if anything you did in Zbrush (not good things). Your sculpting ability needs a better understanding of mass and form, but various parts show you have skill if you focus.

If you have areas that you are not good at, such as lighting, rigging, etc., perhaps you have a friend(s) that can help you get the most out of your efforts.

The best judge and guide is yourself. Do you feel that this collection of work compares to various levels on this forum or any other forum? Does it compare to demo reels posted here inthe past? Better? Be honest with yourself and do ONE good piece, rather than several that aren’t your best effort. Then work on another, and each should advance the result of the next.

I do wish you all the best in pulling that little extra out to give you freedom to be really creative. :wink:

Hello, daishixsi

it was fun watching:+1: , ofcourse you can still improve in many ways and thats a good thing!

In my experience it is just good 2 look back @ all the things you have done,
try 2 make a conclusion out of it 4 your new reel in 2008 maybe?

anyways respect!:+1: thx for showing us.

Joep,

so right now as I see it. You have 3 strong pieces. The 350z and environment, the temple, and 3 flaps provided it gets a little more detailing and some good texturing. Everything else you have in there feels like filler to me, and not your best work. Keep in mind demo reels are about your best work, not about quantity.

well, thanks for your critique.
actually it´s a little harsher than i thought.
I guess there are things that could be improved, but for this year it´s
too late, of course I will try my best again next year.

As to comparing with other demoreels, in my opinion there were better ones and worse ones, I didn´t think mine was that horrible.

Maybe you are right about the music, but up to now I didn´t find anything
better and I really thought people having to watch dozens of demo-videos
a day would switch off the sound anyway.

Anyway, thanks for your tips.

daishi

Hey man as far as a reel goes most of us get a pile of them to watch on our lunch break. we wanna eat lunch so make it quick. try to keep in around two minutes put your best stuff first and your weekest last. in my opinion your environments and hard surface stuff was rally nice. i liked them alot:)
the character stuff not so nice. try to work on your anatomy and form. it seems most of them had problems in the shoulder/chest area. too boxy and pushed up into a v. the monsters were ok but try to put a little more finesse into them reguarding anatomy make them more fluid like flesh on bone. It took alot of work putting this together and for that congrats its more than most people do! 3d is a commitment keep up the hard work