ZBrushCentral

Sculpting practice

I have started sculpting a character from a simple base mesh. I normaly use a low poly base mesh with most of the forms modeled in. I wanted to have ago at doing a character from a base with little very little form which should provide a bit of a challange for me. I am not currently using reference as it is also a bit of a test for me on how much I know on human anatomy although I will be using reference when I come to finalise the character. There are probably a number of problems so feel free to point them out. currently I have mainly been focusing on the torso. I am not going for very defined muscle detail.

Crits are always welcome.

I have done a little more work on this roughing out the forms. I still need to sculpt the hands and feet and the proportions on the head just isn’t sitting right with me at the moment it looks very wrong although adding the features on the face may give me a better idea of what is going on there.
As always crits are welcome

AnatomySculptTest2.jpg

I have gone in tonight and fixed the proportions on the head and hinted at some of the face details and jaw shape. as soon as I get more time I will go in and rough out the hands and feet then I can take it up a couple of levels and start cleaning up and further defining this in areas. I also want to redo the topology and texture it at some point. There is also a turnable done it didn’t turn out right for some reason but it will do for now http://www.mediafire.com/?8xv9k02zktw

AnatomyProportionfix01.jpg

another small update I have roughed in the feet. Tomorrow I will rough in the hands and hopefully over the weekend I will have time to go in and start adding detail. I wish I could find a decent amount of time to work on this instead of 20 mins here and there.

Crits are welcome.

AnatomySculptFeet.jpg

nice work. It looks like Zack Petroc stuff alittle, so good job.

Thanks I couldn’t ask for a better compliment Zack’s work is awesome I think I have a long way to go to reach that standard though.

hey very nice!
can you help me create the clean mesh u also have,
im stuck at this point ,
i want to create a nice clean roundabout proportional body in maya then impoprt it, but i always end up with very dirty polygons!
please help me :slight_smile:

and keep it up!!

Is this the base mesh you are talking about?

There is nothing special about the base mesh really. I have kept it very simple and all quads. You can grab it from the link below if you want to use it or have a look at what I have done.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4wyxyxqryr0

just a small update everything is roughed in now. At some point tomorrow I will go in and single out specific areas and detail at a higher division level starting with the head and working down. Hopefully If I can find the time to put in it should really start to come together over the next few days

AnatomyFullyRoughed.jpg

I have started working into the lower part of the face a little.
Still a long way to go with this

crits welcome

AnatomySculptFace01.jpg

I have not had much time to do any personal work over the last week but I had a little today so I went back to this sculpt. I noticed some proportion issues which I have fixed. Started making the muscles in the Torso look a bit more natural and started working into the face a touch. Something doesn’t seem right with the head at the moment though so I will step back for a bit and look at it again later.

Crits welcome

AnatomySculptUpdate02.jpg

I am not sure wether I am going to bother taking this any further now as it was just a test to see how well I know my anatomy. I will probably move on to doing a proper character of some sort next I will have to see.

crits are more than welcome

Very clean, simple and effective! As I have to do this sort of thing myself the following weeks (for the first time), I know it’s not easy to get it like this. Great job. :+1:

Thanks for the comments Plakkie it’s appreciated.

Wow! for somebody that said they weren’t trying for too much muscle definition, his muscles look pretty toned to me. I think you did a great job and he looks good. His butt looks a tiny bit flat to me but that could just be me. At any rate it’s nothing a few minutes a day on a Stair Master wouldn’t cure. Nice job

la84ada8 - Yep looking at it now you have mentioned it I can see what you mean I will go back and fix that. thanks for pointing it out

I have just done a quick fix on his backside adding a bit more fatty tissue so it doesn’t look flat.

AnatomyButtfix.jpg

One of the guys at work pointed out some issues witht he head. I had 10 mins free so I fixed it.

AnatomyTest_HeadFix.jpg

and an updated turnable
http://www.mediafire.com/?7dmzreb5mmi