ZBrushCentral

The Spiker

Current image:

[HDSpiker-turnstrip-sm.jpg]SPIKERCOL-1-sm.jpg

This is something from a dream I had last night, (yeah I know I have weird dreams lol), and thought it might make an interesting model. 1 session so far all zbrush (from zspheres) and zbrush render (no compositing).

Polycount is 4 million so far although that could change next session. I’ve tried to capture the personality of him from my dream primarily. Unfortunately some of the detail doesn’t show very well at this res, if anyone is interested I’ll up a link to the full res image.

Enjoy

Wayne…

My first question is: how does he wipe after using the bathroom? Jk.

Great job on the muscles they look VERY authentic and correctly proportionalized (is that a word?) The blood veins add a very nice touch as well. I really like it!

My only suggestion would be: Because he is a monster and scary looking (at least I assume this guy came from a nightmare, if not I feel bad for you when you do have a nightmare :lol: ) his facial expression looks too tame and friendly. Also it could just be the lighting, but the feet look not quite done.

Great work! I really like it.

cool rendition of your dream…well i dreamt it was…i wasn’t there for the first viewing :wink:

i know he is a wip, but i think he has some cool potential and I know you are gonna wanna work on it but i don’t want you to work anymore on the face/head til ya deal with the body. I totally dig the way you’ve done his face head neck so far…I think you should step back and see how your dream version stacks up to what you quickly did zb wise in anatomy…then let yourself redream it…sounds funny but zb and dreams are cool this way…and see how it goes…once ya nail the body…revisit the head neck if it needs to be refined to fit the newest incarnation.

take your time …and have fun…oh yeah…the kid’s gotta be past the teething stage by now eh? so i wonder what makes waynes sleepless head rock?..long as ya got zb…who cares right?

ZB on!

[attach=65058]SPIKERCOL-4-GREY-sm.jpg[/attach]

Even monsters have to have ‘happy time’. :slight_smile: lol. Although to be honest I find my workflow these days is to quickly sketch out the basic character, then refine and add pose and expressions near the end. Not the most interesting workflow to see in a WIP thread but works well for me.

Oh you woudn’t belive the nightmares I have, this guy was from a milder one where he walked into my house and killed my family, then for some reason I had a cup of coffee with him. A bit on the sureal side even for my dreams that one lol.

This was my usual quick sketch to get the idea down and the muscle structure etc need a helluva lot more tightening up as you can se from the grey shaded version above. I’m also still not happy with the transition from the lower arm to the ‘spikes’ and want to work on that more as well. The head can waita little while till I nail the rest of the body I agree. :wink:

Sometimes looking at a model with a fresh pair of eyes after good nights sleep…well some sleep anyway, helps to see those things that you miss.

Yeah thanks mate Kanes past teething stage now, only to hit a bad case of the ‘terrible 2’s’. So as luck would have it I’m still only getting 3 hours rest a night. Zb keeps me sane to be honest, its such fun to use I can’t put it down. :slight_smile:

Hope things are going well your side mate. :slight_smile:

Wayne…

Attachments

SPIKERCOL-4-GREY-sm.jpg

hahaha now if only someone would zb the terrible 2’s!! I gotta nephew who has decided to hit them with every ounce of energy and then some he could muster…let’s just say he has a mean right and even more wicked left hook…too bad…kinda liked the kid myself…will be sorry to see him go…hahahhaha just kidding…tho at the time I’da given The Spiker’s left nads to have had a pic of the kid getting stuffed by his old man…wow talk about the amex priceless comercials…woulda coulda shoulda been a gazillionaire with that one!! hahaha good luck to you with yours…remember to wear your helmet and cup at all times! and of course to post motion detectors within 400 feet of the zbrush machine!!! :smiley:

Oof! Scary thing to dream… Stunning work for one session; you are fast! :+1:

[SpikerComp.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘65014’,‘SpikerComp.jpg’,1,0))

Did a few shape changes to the major form, althoug I didn’t have a whole lot of time to do what I wanted to in this session. I felt he was a bit thin across the shoulders before and needed beefing up to make him slightly more threatening.

Wayne…

Great character (lay off the mushrooms before bedtime), but I feel maybe a few proportions are a bit off, his forearms look a tad big to me. From the pic on the right they are bigger than his quads. Also maybe his torso & legs are a bit on the short side…

Obviously I dont know what you dreamt (don’t think I’d want to either), but on first viewing those bits stood out for me…

The head & shoulders are top, the face is reminding me of Planet of the Apes, all in all a sterling job…

Suggestion: Maybe some small barbed hooks on the back of the spikes???

You know I was actualy thinking of the same idea of barbed hooks just this morning, you must be psychic mate. Some of the proportion issues are due to foreshortening (the perpspective is set too low really, should have been 70 instead of 50) with the slightly bent over pose he’s in.

The forearms are driving me crazy at the moment as for the life of me I can’t remember what they looked like in my drream. I can see me totally redoing the forearms next session I think.

Nah wasn’t due to mushrooms I’m boringly substance free. I do get alot of nightmares (that are really handy in this field!) that are due to an abnormality in the left temporal lobe of my brain. Had it for years and nothing to worry about, sounds more scarey than it is really. :slight_smile: A warped imagination helps in 3d I find. :wink:

Suprisingly the head and shoulders are still prelty low poly to be honest, although I could add more detail I dont know if I wil as it may spoil the feel. Glad you liked it though.

Wayne…

Maybe have the spikes coming out of the forearm higher up as if it was part of the radius bone, with the flesh & muscle growing around it & gradually thinning out…

PS: Substance free here too I just thought that cheese couldn’t make anyone dream something like that up, so went for something with a bit of an edge… :wink:

[~reloaded5-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘65093’,’~reloaded5-sm.jpg’,1,0))

Well still wasn’t happy with the bulk of him and a few other things so changed those and redid the forearms…still not as tight as I’d like them.

Yep getting older hopefully doesn’t mean we’re getting too borring…I reakon we could still show the young guys a thing or two at a party lol.

I may add some on the elbows to add more interest for the back view (which right now is prety bog standard). I compared the original image and this one side by side and wa astounded how much he’s changed…definately looked a little weedy by comparision lol.

Wayne…

Looking pretty cool…keep going!!

Yeah this is looking great now, I think the shader has helped too… :smiley:

My dentist looks EXACTLY like that. He even uses the same tools.

Revanto :stuck_out_tongue:

…So far…

[HDSpiker-turnstrip-sm.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘65125’,‘HDSpiker-turnstrip-sm.jpg’,1,0))

Did a little more tightening up on this session. Mostly minor stuff, stilll got to put more work into the back of him although chances are that’ll never be seen. I’ve not posted a back view of him before mainly for that reason.

Buckie: the shader is just Ralph Stumfs ‘grey clay’ shader with a 3 point light setup. Once at final I’ll keep the slightly overblown bloom look to it as I’ve got a certain look for the final render (whenever the hell that is lol) in mind.

I’m having a bit of a creative ‘hotspot’ at the moment so I’m gonna make hay while the sun shines, as you can never tell when a creative dead spot will arrive.

Wayne…